Draft: DE Prospect Opinions

Anae is my #4 EDGE in the class (2nd round grade)

Greenard is my #6 EDGE (2nd round grade)

Weaver is my #7 EDGE (2nd round grade)

Uche is my #8 EDGE (2nd round grade)

Okwara is my #10 EDGE (3rd round grade)

Alton Robinson is my #11 EDGE (3rd round grade)

Alex Highsmith is my #13 EDGE (3rd/4th borderline)

I haven't watched Kareem or Tuszka and I see Lewis's best spot in the NFL as an off the ball linebacker who can be used to blitz. He could be an outside backer in a 3-4 but I don't think he is a guy you draft and primarily ask to rush the passer.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 3/25/2020 at 5:16 PM, Victory Formation said:

These are my top 4. 

I like Alton Robinson a lot. He’s a fast twitch DE and fairly productive. I wonder if a good coach like Sean McDermott or Eric Washington could squeeze out more production out of him and turn this guy into a star pass rusher at the next level. His God given physical skill set is tremendous and arguably one of the best in the draft. If I could pick one player I hope the Bills would draft it’d be him. Please Mr. Beane, take Alton Robinson in the third. 

Kenny Willekes plays with good leverage, high motor, strong, good bend. Once again, would be great in the third round.

Josh Uche is a player that I feel could take over Lorenzo Alexander’s position. Great SLB, offers a lot of boom in the pass rush department, probably a 2nd round pick, likely gone before we pick. Explosive athlete.

Curtis Weaver would be a great second round pick if we go EDGE with our first pick. I think he’d fit in perfectly on the left side where Shaq left off. Power, strength, leverage, brute force is his game. Solid in the run. Three down starter.

Our second rounder is theoretically our first pick in the draft. If we take Weaver in the second that will be using our first pick in the class (barring any trades)on an edge.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Unae is my #4 EDGE in the class (2nd round grade)

Greenard is my #6 EDGE (2nd round grade)

Weaver is my #7 EDGE (2nd round grade)

Uche is my #8 EDGE (2nd round grade)

Okwara is my #10 EDGE (3rd round grade)

Alton Robinson is my #11 EDGE (3rd round grade)

Alex Highsmith is my #13 EDGE (3rd/4th borderline)

I haven't watched Kareem or Tuszka and I see Lewis's best spot in the NFL as an off the ball linebacker who can be used to blitz. He could be an outside backer in a 3-4 but I don't think he is a guy you draft and primarily ask to rush the passer.

Good work Gunner. How many of those guys do you think fit here? I mean I keep seeing people talk about Willikies and Tuzska and Anae and Baun their 31-32 inch arms and thinking there is no way they get drafted here. What are your thoughts on fit?

Edited by MrEpsYtown

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

Good work Gunner. How many of those guys do you think fit here? I mean I keep seeing people talk about Willikies and Anae and Baun their 31-32 inch arms and thinking there is no way they get drafted here. What are your thought on fit?

Yea. I do take the point on Anae's length. He isn't the physical prototype they look for at the position but then I'd say Cody Ford doesn't really fit the prototype at tackle necessarily either. I think they would love Anae's motor and energy. Baun to me isn't an edge rusher at the next level. Feel similar on him as I do Lewis. Baun is a linebacker at the next level who gives you some rush ability from that spot but he isn't playing hand in the dirt and getting after the QB. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Any players in the draft like Maxx Crosby?  Raiders drafted him in the 4th round out of Eastern Michigan and he had 10 sacks as a rookie. I do remember the Bills being linked to him predraft, but the Raiders got him. 

Any under the radar, small school DEs in the draft?

Found one. 6’ 5” - 225 lbs. Lake Forest College. 14.5 sacks as a senior. 

Jordan McInerney

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7877550

I always root for the long shot underdog. This guy will likely never make it, but who knows. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/sports/ct-lns-spt-college-football-lake-forest-jordan-mcinerney-st-111319-20191112-w253as2uaveaxd6bw466x7baui-story.html

Reminds me of Dan Brandenburg. It took me 30 minutes to remember his name, so I hope you appreciate it. ?

https://gosycamores.com/honors/hall-of-fame/dan-bradenburg/43

Edited by PIZ

1 hour ago, PIZ said:

Any players in the draft like Maxx Crosby?  Raiders drafted him in the 4th round out of Eastern Michigan and he had 10 sacks as a rookie. I do remember the Bills being linked to him predraft, but the Raiders got him. 

Any under the radar, small school DEs in the draft?

Found one. 6’ 5” - 225 lbs. Lake Forest College. 14.5 sacks as a senior. 

Jordan McInerney

https://www.hudl.com/profile/7877550

I always root for the long shot underdog. This guy will likely never make it, but who knows. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/sports/ct-lns-spt-college-football-lake-forest-jordan-mcinerney-st-111319-20191112-w253as2uaveaxd6bw466x7baui-story.html

Reminds me of Dan Brandenburg. It took me 30 minutes to remember his name, so I hope you appreciate it. ?

https://gosycamores.com/honors/hall-of-fame/dan-bradenburg/43

My sleeper who I have a 3rd on but I think I am higher than everyone else is Bryce Huff out of Memphis. Size, explosion, bend, hustle. Love the kid. 

On 3/26/2020 at 10:22 PM, ScottLaw said:

Addison isn’t a great pass rusher. He gets handled rather easily.... not sure a good edge guy will be there at 54, but I wouldn’t be opposed to them drafting one.

Doesnt matter if he's good or not

We signed him paid him a lot of money, and that's who were going with.

You don't do all that the reach at the same position early in draft

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Afernee Jennings OB/ER from Alabama. I saw a highlight video on him and he seems to be undervalued on many "big boards". The guy plays like a clone of Lorenzo Alexander. I could possibly see him as the Bills 2nd round pick.

I like Darrell Taylor from Tennessee, I don't think he has been mentioned here. Consistently good against top level competition. Not sure where he is projected but unfortunately he has been getting some positive buzz lately and could be moving up a little.

Some mentioned tight ends in this thread. I like Jacob Breeland from Oregon, he missed most of last year with injury and was not ready for the combine. The guy is a legitimate threat in the passing game and doesn't mind mixing it up in the run game. He could be a steal in the later rounds. (not sure where he is projected to go)

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/sacks-per-game

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868989-nfl-power-rankings-final-2019-20-regular-season-review-and-standings

Let's not get too much in love with sack totals.  Sacks are exciting plays.  A play with QB pressure and tight defense that winds up with a safe incomplete pass are not.  Some teams really tee off on a poor team when they are way ahead and don't have to worry about a 20 yard running play with the clock running.  Here is a partial list of 2019 sack totals and a power ranking of teams at the end of the year.

team                sack per game  ranking at end of year (8 teams only)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pitt                   3.4

carolina           3.3

san fran           3.2                   2

new orlean       3.2                   3

LA                    3.1

Buffalo              3.0

Minni              2.9                   8

Tampa            2.9

Jack                2.9

Wash              2.9

KC                  2.8                   4         

Pats                 2.8

GB                  2.6                   5

Philli               2.6

Tenn               2.6

Indi                 2.6

…………

Baltimore       2.2                   1

Seattle             2.2                   7

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

22 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I like Darrell Taylor from Tennessee, I don't think he has been mentioned here. Consistently good against top level competition. Not sure where he is projected but unfortunately he has been getting some positive buzz lately and could be moving up a little.

Some mentioned tight ends in this thread. I like Jacob Breeland from Oregon, he missed most of last year with injury and was not ready for the combine. The guy is a legitimate threat in the passing game and doesn't mind mixing it up in the run game. He could be a steal in the later rounds. (not sure where he is projected to go)

The Draft Network has Taylor as the 86th ranked prospect, so that is in line for Buffalo's 3rd round pick.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea late 3rd feels about right. Was watching some of him earlier. 

I watch a lot of college ball and I thought he was Tennessee's best player last year.

I wonder if the Bills like him though?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I watch a lot of college ball and I thought he was Tennessee's best player last year.

He reminds me a LOT of Shaq actually. His weakness is he is slow off the ball and he doesn't have Shaq's hands to compensate but if the Bills want to replace Shaq with a guy who like Lawson will never be out of his lane, understands how to set the edge and force the ball into the teeth of the defense and can win with effort and power then Taylor makes a lot of sense. 

10 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I watch a lot of college too and felt the same way. I have no idea if he's on their radar but I hope so. I've read a couple of profiles that said his attributes should translate well to the pro game physically but will need development. I'm thinking he could be a 3rd or 4th rounder maybe (just guessing) but really don't have a good idea where he projects to in the draft.

Edited by Turk71

Just now, Turk71 said:

I watch a lot of college too and felt the same way. I have no idea if he's on their radar but I hope so. I've read a couple of profiles that said his attributes should translate well to the pro game. I'm thinking he could be a 3rd or 4th rounder maybe but really have a good idea where he projects to in the draft.

Taylor looks explosive off the edge and if I am the Bills I would take him in the 3rd round.

Why the hell not? Hughes is 32, Addison is 33 and Murphy is 30.

6 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Taylor looks explosive off the edge and if I am the Bills I would take him in the 3rd round.

Why the hell not? Hughes is 32, Addison is 33 and Murphy is 30.

I wouldn't hate it, not sure how that fits with their priorities this draft. 

Not having a first might have them drafting for certain positions of immediate need in the 2nd and 3rd?

Obviously have no idea what they are thinking but beyond the top tier edge prospects he's one that I like.

Edited by Turk71