Possible Helmet rule change could allow Bills to bring back red helmets in 2021 for throwbacks

On 3/25/2020 at 12:16 PM, MJS said:

I think they have to inspect every helmet for safety, so maybe changing the rule requires additional helmets to be inspected. But as far as I'm concerned, players and teams should be able to have as many helmets certified for use as they want, as far as safety is concerned. I can see there being aesthetic restrictions, though. Some college teams have so many helmet configurations it's absurd. NFL wants to maintain their brand and image so have strict uniform policies.

I read a Sports  Illustrated article a few months ago about helmets where they said the industry was taken over by marketing, with companies all claiming theirs was the best.  Testing by consultants to SI were skeptical that helmets are as safe as they could be or any safer than in the past.

On 3/25/2020 at 5:12 PM, Rubes said:

I loved the red helmets, almost as much as the red end zones. I do really like the white helmets now as well, but it would be great to see the red ones back for a game or two.

Just say no, however, to the red helmet with the white standing buffalo. That was an abomination.

That was in the 75th Anniversary year right? I was 6, so I dont remember any of it. Why did they do it that way, why not just an actual throwback uniform?

9 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

That was in the 75th Anniversary year right? I was 6, so I dont remember any of it. Why did they do it that way, why not just an actual throwback uniform?

I don’t know the actual reason, but I believe it’s because the Bills still wore red helmets at that time, and didn’t want to switch back to white since it might be too much of a change for the offensive players. So they used the standing buffalo design, but switched the colors around. Hideous.

On 3/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, MJS said:

I think they have to inspect every helmet for safety, so maybe changing the rule requires additional helmets to be inspected. But as far as I'm concerned, players and teams should be able to have as many helmets certified for use as they want, as far as safety is concerned. I can see there being aesthetic restrictions, though. Some college teams have so many helmet configurations it's absurd. NFL wants to maintain their brand and image so have strict uniform policies.

Which is crazy to me because more uniforms means more money for the NFL. 

And as we all know the NFL is a money hungry league.

Edited by CountDorkula

10 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Lets go whole uniform , Navy days baby!!!

jplay26s-1-web.jpg

This uniform should be locked in a box, buried, and the key should be thrown away. Red, navy, white, silver and Black should never be combined. Look at how they ruined that beautiful helmet with a black stripe down the middle. HORRIFIC! I’m mad just looking at these. 

Just now, youngjebrey said:

This uniform should be locked in a box, buried, and the key should be thrown away. Red, navy, white, silver and Black should never be combined. Look at how they ruined that beautiful helmet with a black stripe down the middle. HORRIFIC! I’m mad just looking at these. 

Terrible era for Bills uniforms. The aways were so hideous that I'd actually like to see them once every other season or so. Kind of like Green Bays gray and blues, or Pitts bumble bees. 

37 minutes ago, youngjebrey said:

no way, best ever should have made it all black like the Sabres did, which was there best uniform now that have crap yellow and blue.

14 hours ago, Rubes said:

I don’t know the actual reason, but I believe it’s because the Bills still wore red helmets at that time, and didn’t want to switch back to white since it might be too much of a change for the offensive players. So they used the standing buffalo design, but switched the colors around. Hideous.

I agree that is was so hideous when I first saw it and started to realize it existed, I thought it was some type of knockoff.