Possible Helmet rule change could allow Bills to bring back red helmets in 2021 for throwbacks

55 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

The white helmet is much cleaner. Personally love the standing buffalo, but the charging buffalo is not bad. I can understand folks being nostalgic for the red because associated with the Kelly years, but otherwise it's right there with the Sabres' slug imo.

I'm older so I associate the reds with Kay Stephenson..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Right?

I remember being so pissed when they changed them in 1984.  Never really liked them...but they had their best era since the merger, with those nasty things.  But now I wouldn't mind seeing them for a game or two...they are not as bad as Sabres slugs.  Personally, the look the Bills have right now is my favorite.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, sullim4 said:

Growing up as a kid in the early 90s... there is nothing more I would like than to see a throwback combination like this:

1993_Buffalo.png?6181

same here.  I'm a fan of the Blue jersey with the Red helmet.  For some reason the white jersey and red helmet looks odd to me.  I'd go w/ the  charging helmet or the standing buffalo w/ that one.  

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...and just like that Antonio Brown has decided that he doesn’t want to return to the NFL.

maybe NFL Nike genius's can figure out how to put a blond/gold mustache on the helmet kit and that would pull AB back in......lol

12 hours ago, MJS said:

I think players often use the same helmet for years and years. Wasn't that one of the Antonio Brown issues? His helmet was no longer allowed so he threw a fit.

I feel like that is a ringing endorsement as to why players should have to get new helmets every few years IMO.

12 hours ago, nucci said:

I know he replaced Knox in 83 but I remember him with 1984,1985 along with Hank Bullough. Many people associate the reds with the Kelly years and winning but they absolutely sucked during this time period. Back to back 2-14 seasons with crowds of 20,000 or so in the stands. A "good" crowd back then was 50,000 in a stadium that held 80,000.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

I know he replaced Knox in 83 but I remember him with 1984,1985 along with Hank Bullough. Many people associate the reds with the Kelly years and winning but they absolutely sucked during this time period. Back to back 2-14 seasons with crowds of 20,000 or so in the stands. A "good" crowd back then was 50,000 in a stadium that held 80,000.

50,000 was opening day back then. I remember the 19-20K crowds late in the season

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nucci said:

50,000 was opening day back then. I remember the 19-20K crowds late in the season

The only game I truly remember during those terrible years was the huge upset over Dallas in 84. I believe the Bills were 0-11 at the time and Bell had an 80 yard TD run on the first play from scrimmage that led to a 14-3 win. I think the crowd that day was 75,000 but mostly Cowboy fans. With the exception of this one game there was nothing to cheer for in 84,85. Of course we did get Bruce with the 1st pick in the 85 draft but from a gameday standpoint the Cowboys game was the only good memory during this time.

Edited by Greg S

1974 was the best year for Buffalo Bills uni’s.

They went to the charging buffalo but still had the old school jersey and pants. In 75 they went to the two striped uniform top.

Bring back the 74 look.

FB6C1BF8-3F7E-4542-83B9-3A272A9E24A7.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, msw2112 said:

I was not a fan of the red helmets at the time, but I got used to them after a while.  I believe the whites ones they wear today look better, but wearing the reds as a throwback to the most successful years in the history of the franchise might be a cool look.  I'm not into uniforms that much and I think the Bills are fine, but I did really hate the Sabres' goat head and banana slug uniforms and believe that they look way better in royal blue vs. navy blue - the Bills too.

Whippersnapper! The most successful years were ‘63-‘66 which included 3 title game and TWO CHAMPIONSHIPS!

8C5F4C5D-62F1-42B0-9662-94B08B6D80F7.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, MJS said:

I think they have to inspect every helmet for safety, so maybe changing the rule requires additional helmets to be inspected. But as far as I'm concerned, players and teams should be able to have as many helmets certified for use as they want, as far as safety is concerned. I can see there being aesthetic restrictions, though. Some college teams have so many helmet configurations it's absurd. NFL wants to maintain their brand and image so have strict uniform policies.

e,g, Oregon

4 hours ago, DCBongo said:

I always heard that they went to the red helmets so Ferguson could spot his receivers.  That's what my father said, so I take it with a grain of salt.

it's true....other teams in the division had white helmets....Kay

Edited by nucci