Possible Helmet rule change could allow Bills to bring back red helmets in 2021 for throwbacks

I was not a fan of the red helmets at the time, but I got used to them after a while.  I believe the whites ones they wear today look better, but wearing the reds as a throwback to the most successful years in the history of the franchise might be a cool look.  I'm not into uniforms that much and I think the Bills are fine, but I did really hate the Sabres' goat head and banana slug uniforms and believe that they look way better in royal blue vs. navy blue - the Bills too.

Edited by msw2112

I loved the red helmets, almost as much as the red end zones. I do really like the white helmets now as well, but it would be great to see the red ones back for a game or two.

Just say no, however, to the red helmet with the white standing buffalo. That was an abomination.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I like the white helmets better, but I like mixing it up. Luckily ownership seems to be of the same opinion. We get different combos throughout the season and that makes things fun. Wouldn't mind seeing the red helmets again for a game a season.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I was never a fan of the red helmets. The Bills have the perfect uniforms(just lose the garbage blue on blue, and red on red) along with the white helmet. The white helmet with the charging Buffalo or white helmet with the standing Buffalo(throwbacks) are both great.

I most definitely agree with the 2nd part of your statement!  But I do like those 90's uniforms only because it signified a winning culture back then. 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

The claim has always been to mitigate concussions, but it has never made any sense to me or anyone else.

Which seems kind of odd to only use one helmet if they are trying to lessen concussions. 

Think of how worn a pair of shoes just from walking around in them. I know it's not the same since they are only used during games but still. They probably get worn down pretty quickly. 

17 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Interesting story behind the Bills' initial switch to red helmets in the 1980's.  It involves QB Joe Ferguson.  Read it here:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/23/the-story-behind-the-bills-red-helmets/

I remember this like yesterday. What the article doesn't say is that it didn't help Fergy one bit. 

While he certainly had some good days here, his waning years were awful. When I see the red helmets it still makes me laugh.

Just say no tot he Red Helmets!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

I hope not...hated the reds

The white helmet is much cleaner. Personally love the standing buffalo, but the charging buffalo is not bad. I can understand folks being nostalgic for the red because associated with the Kelly years, but otherwise it's right there with the Sabres' slug imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I wonder if owners mandated it due to cost reasons. Pure spitballing.

They said it was a safety concern I believe as broken in helmets apparently offer better protection.

40 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Which seems kind of odd to only use one helmet if they are trying to lessen concussions. 

Think of how worn a pair of shoes just from walking around in them. I know it's not the same since they are only used during games but still. They probably get worn down pretty quickly. 

I think players often use the same helmet for years and years. Wasn't that one of the Antonio Brown issues? His helmet was no longer allowed so he threw a fit.

8 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

It's been so they don't get sued for allowing a player to use a helmet not approved by the NFL. Always about money.

That doesn't make any sense either. They could allow them to use 500 helmets ALL approved by the NFL.

I think it is simply a logistical thing of inspecting double the helmets if they allow each player two instead of one.

Don't mind seeing the red helmets for throwbacks to those early '90's unis.

Really like the current blue shirts with white pants and white shirts w/ either blue or white.  Only tweak to make if better would be to go back to the blue face masks rather than the current gray ones.

• Like (+1) 1