Possible Helmet rule change could allow Bills to bring back red helmets in 2021 for throwbacks

9 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Why did they even make this a rule?

I think they have to inspect every helmet for safety, so maybe changing the rule requires additional helmets to be inspected. But as far as I'm concerned, players and teams should be able to have as many helmets certified for use as they want, as far as safety is concerned. I can see there being aesthetic restrictions, though. Some college teams have so many helmet configurations it's absurd. NFL wants to maintain their brand and image so have strict uniform policies.

Edited by MJS

3 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

I wonder if owners mandated it due to cost reasons. Pure spitballing.

The claim has always been to mitigate concussions, but it has never made any sense to me or anyone else.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I was never a fan of the red helmets. The Bills have the perfect uniforms(just lose the garbage blue on blue, and red on red) along with the white helmet. The white helmet with the charging Buffalo or white helmet with the standing Buffalo(throwbacks) are both great.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Yes! Why has this taken so long!? I've been asking this for the past 8 YEARS! Why does this rule even exist? There is zero reason that I can think of. I like the white lids, but I also miss seeing the red ones. Everybody wins in this scenario. I've even seen a blue Bills helmet before that looks freakin sweet also. Throw that in once a year. So many beautiful uniform combo possibilities. Am I the only one that wants to see red numbers on the away jerseys? AM I?!

23 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I was never a fan of the red helmets. The Bills have the perfect uniforms(just lose the garbage blue on blue, and red on red) along with the white helmet. The white helmet with the charging Buffalo or white helmet with the standing Buffalo(throwbacks) are both great.

I don’t mind the blue on blue but other than that: yup!

I NEVER liked the red helmets (watching since the 70’s) so I was elated when they went back to white. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, T master said:

Please just don't put the red helmets with the red uni's ? !!

I am guessing Kim is in charge of the uniform combos. It seems like the Bills have 5 different home uniforms that they use. Early in the year when its hot is white on white. Then switch over to blue on white. Then they get an all white throwback in there around home game 4 or 5. Then they finish the year when it gets colder with the all reds and all blues. If they bring back the red helmet then Kim will use it with the all reds would be my guess.

Edited by Greg S

2 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Would not look forward to the red helmets.  Was never ever a good look. 

Agreed. White helmets, with both the streaking and standing Buffalo, are much sharper.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I think they have to inspect every helmet for safety, so maybe changing the rule requires additional helmets to be inspected. But as far as I'm concerned, players and teams should be able to have as many helmets certified for use as they want, as far as safety is concerned. I can see there being aesthetic restrictions, though. Some college teams have so many helmet configurations it's absurd. NFL wants to maintain their brand and image so have strict uniform policies.

Yes.

I hate that Oregon changes every week.

When Stanford, Duke, Oklahoma State and UCLA where black, it looks dumb.