Sean’s best coaching came during the 2018 season

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

2018 was on Beane not McD.  Beane put a non-competitive product on the field.  O-line and WR groups were the worst in the league.  We will all forget about it in a year or two if they make a deep playoff run or two.  

To be fair they were digging themselves out of a lot of dead cap due to bad contracts. Glenn was hurt and traded for good value, Clay and Shady were far from productive and on big contracts, the team was eating a big part of that Dareus bonus that year, Eric Wood and InCog retired with significant cap penalties, and Tyrod also was carried some cap charge too. The 2018 purge was needed. They didn't have much cap space going into that year and I think InCog retiring when he did torpedoed the O-line what little chance it had. Overall I think McBeane saw through the mirage that 2017 was and just kept going forward with the necessary rebuild. 

18 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

To be fair they were digging themselves out of a lot of dead cap due to bad contracts. Glenn was hurt and traded for good value, Clay and Shady were far from productive and on big contracts, the team was eating a big part of that Dareus bonus that year, Eric Wood and InCog retired with significant cap penalties, and Tyrod also was carried some cap charge too. The 2018 purge was needed. They didn't have much cap space going into that year and I think InCog retiring when he did torpedoed the O-line what little chance it had. Overall I think McBeane saw through the mirage that 2017 was and just kept going forward with the necessary rebuild. 

Beane admitted he didn't put a competitive team on the field at the end of that year. The dead cap was his own doing but as you said it was probably needed to move forward. 

58 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane admitted he didn't put a competitive team on the field at the end of that year. The dead cap was his own doing but as you said it was probably needed to move forward. 

The biggest sin of 2018 was the lack of a competent plan at QB. Allen was rushed in because they did not have a coherent plan after trading AJ. But the team carrying 40 million (I don't remember the  in dead cap, 18 million on aging declining players in Clay and Shady, and the trading of a lot of draft capital to trade up for Edumonds and Allen were all going to be hard to manage. They spent about 24 million on new contracts that off-season (Vonta, AJ, Star (whose deal was backloaded and only cost 6 million year one), Murphy, and Bodine) and while 24 million isn't chump change it is hard to fill a roster filled with holes with that kind of money. 

I will not hold 2018 against McBeane, they effectively had 40 plus million dead due to necessary trades and another nearly 20 million in cap tied up to lesser effective players and a retirement of a key O-line player right before the season started (which I think pushed up their dead cap another 6 million.) 2018 was the necessary completion of a rebuild whereas 2017 was a 7 win team overachieving a bit while getting lucky to break the playoffs. 

Edited by billsfan89