Deshaun Watson To Patriots Rumours Begin To Swirl

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How would BOB go "behind the owner's back"?  There's no chance at this time that the owner hasn't made his preference clearly known regarding Watson at this point.  There's no way BOB could trade him "secretly".

I agree.  Just saying that if he somehow managed to do it, the NFL would void the trade.

4 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Could be. Is Luck really ready to walk away though? Could Indianapolis really float Rivers’, Brissetts and Luck’s contracts? Did Luck simply retire to get out of Indianapolis? Did he simply need a year to take care of his body?

he DID walk away :doh:

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Without the owners' consent?  Doubtful that would be allowed to stand.

What's the owner going to argue?  "I have no control over my employee"?  "I don't know what's going on with my franchise"?  

Zero chance they would be sympathetic to that scenario.  They just saw the same owner let a perennial top 3-5 WR go for absolutely nothing.

They would never ever nullify such a deal.  The other team's owner would not have that.  

No owner is going to tank his own franchise -- and more importantly his season ticket sales -- by trading away his best player.  Especially on the heels of trading away his second best player.  There's a reason guys like Watson are worth $30m a year.  They are the ones who sell the tickets and boost the TV ratings.

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not if it is a signed deal.

I'll go out on a limb and about guarantee that AFTER any GM in the NFL gets a trade agreed to it has to be signed off by someone

on the Administrative side of the house.  NFL teams are multi-billion dollar companies and that is the "paperwork" that is put in place

to eliminate things like this.  I'm sure the lawyers have put this in place decades ago.

5 hours ago, Mr. K said:

Only hypothetical. Everybody was ok with Ditka trading a whole draft for 1 player. Say the Hopkins trade is Hopkins for 2 first rounders and  2 second rounders and DJ. Again all hypothetical. And everybody agrees to the trade the NFL isnt say No. Thats all I was saying.

AB trade vs Hopkins trade

AB: 

Requesting trade (do it right and its NBD) than was cut for being a terrible person after being traded to NE

Declining career

Problems with staff, FO, and players

"Diva" drama (instagram facebook twitter)

The rest of the crazy

Hopkins:

In his prime

Top 5 WR and impact every game

DJ terrible contract and unlucky health

Has disagreement with BoB and sent out

Im glad AB made the choice he did not coming here.  I am almost as happy with getting Diggs that I would've been with getting Nuk . Im looking forward to seeing these guys back on the field. I doubt Watson would be in NE. I doubt the Texans are getting rid of a starting QB.

Antonio Brown's final year in Pittsburgh - 104 receptions; 1,297 yards; 15 touchdowns

Deandre Hopkins's final year in Houston - 104 receptions, 1,165 yards; 7 touchdowns

Yes Brown was 3 years older 30 as against 27 at the time of the trades but I think it is only in hindsight you would say declining career and you can hardly make that accusation and then call Hopkins "in his prime" based on those numbers. 

Obviously Brown has gone totally off the rails mentally but I have little doubt that if you put him on a football field he would still be able to play. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, inaugural balls said:

he DID walk away :doh:

While he could still walk. 

There's little chance he'd return.  If he did, it will pry be in 2021 with the Colts.  He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would screw his old franchise over.  Plus, the Colts still retain his rights I believe.

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

I know but he’s only 30, he’ll turn 31 in October IIRC. If he came back he would make lucrative money. Could he be tempted to come back? Could play another 10 years for a better franchise.

Right - but he walked away. Did he leave the door open for a return? 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What's the owner going to argue?  "I have no control over my employee"?  "I don't know what's going on with my franchise"?  

Zero chance they would be sympathetic to that scenario.  They just saw the same owner let a perennial top 3-5 WR go for absolutely nothing.

They would never ever nullify such a deal.  The other team's owner would not have that.  

The only way BOB could pull this off is to go through some major hoops.  So yes, the owner could make that case and the other owners would be sympathetic because they don't want the same thing happening to them.

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'll go out on a limb and about guarantee that AFTER any GM in the NFL gets a trade agreed to it has to be signed off by someone

on the Administrative side of the house.  NFL teams are multi-billion dollar companies and that is the "paperwork" that is put in place

to eliminate things like this.  I'm sure the lawyers have put this in place decades ago.

I believe that every owner has final say.  As I said, BOB would have to go through some major hoops to pull this off and as a result, it will never happen.

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

Does this still have legs....

It never did.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

While he could still walk. 

There's little chance he'd return.  If he did, it will pry be in 2021 with the Colts.  He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would screw his old franchise over.  Plus, the Colts still retain his rights I believe.

Agree- VF asked if Luck was really ready to walk away. Obviously he was. He did.

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

The only way BOB could pull this off is to go through some major hoops.  So yes, the owner could make that case and the other owners would be sympathetic because they don't want the same thing happening to them.

I believe that every owner has final say.  As I said, BOB would have to go through some major hoops to pull this off and as a result, it will never happen.

It never did.

No other owner would ever let this happen.  Kraft would have no sympathy at all for McNair Jr.  You think Jerry would?  He would be laughing at the Texans like the rest of us.

This is an absurd argument anyway.  No trade would happen without owner's knowledge and consent.  Never.

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No other owner would ever let this happen.  Kraft would have no sympathy at all for McNair Jr.  You think Jerry would?  He would be laughing at the Texans like the rest of us.

This is an absurd argument anyway.  No trade would happen without owner's knowledge and consent.  Never.

We'll agree to disagree on the first line and agree on the second.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

No need to be salty over some minor BS dude. He walked away cause the Colts sucked and their ownership is crap.

You asked - Is he really ready to walk away? Go back to your post. 

I'll say it again - he walked away. No debate. Now, could he come back? Sure I suppose.

Oh, and owner may or may not be crap, but make no mistake, the team HE WALKED AWAY FROM, was ready for success. 

5 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

You asked - Is he really ready to walk away? Go back to your post. 

I'll say it again - he walked away. No debate. Now, could he come back? Sure I suppose.

Oh, and owner may or may not be crap, but make no mistake, the team HE WALKED AWAY FROM, was ready for success. 

No they weren’t ready for success. They finished 7-9 without Andrew Luck. Their defense finished 18th in points, their offense was 16th in points and once again they finished 7-9. Sounds like a pretty mediocre team if you ask me, not a team that is serious about competing in the playoffs let alone a Super Bowl. Outside of TY Hilton they had nothing at receiver. Nyheim Hines was their second leading receiver with 44 catches and 320 yards. They had a couple solid players I guess but their roster as a whole was underwhelming. Luck left because Irsay was too busy popping pills ? ? instead of building a legitimate roster around him.

Oh, yeah. 7-9, one more time.