Deshaun Watson To Patriots Rumours Begin To Swirl

On 3/25/2020 at 1:17 PM, Paup 1995MVP said:

But maybe the Texans don't love Desean Watson as much as a lot of you posters do.  I think he is a talent, but the Bills absolutely wrecked him in both games we played them under McDermott

Watson completed 80% of his passes in the playoff game, had over 300 total yards of offense, two TDs, no turnovers, a QB rating of 121.2, and made an amazing play to win the game.  Your definition of “wrecked” and mine are very different.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Watson is a good QB.  .....Might not be a popular take...but he just dropped several spots in my mind for sending out a cryptic rhyme.  Either come and and clearly state publicly that you think the direction of the team is BS....or do it privately....don't be a passive agressive baby and do it this way.  Same with Cam Newton.  Are these guys in Jr. High still?  Approach this like a man!

Cam did it directly, and got his release a few hours later.

He also confronted KB directly, man to man, after KB ran his mouth on social media. Was even willing to laugh it off and shake his hand. And KB backed down like b itch.

Watson, I'll give a pass this one time. He just had his friend traded away, and posted some lyrics. And then quickly deleted them.

2 hours ago, foreboding said:

Watson is a baller. Always has been and always will be. I was surprised people doubted him after what he did at Clemson. Seems unimaginable the owner would let B O'B get rid of him. Though I would have thought the same of Nuke. He is the best WR and they shucked him out. So dumb.

To get Watson, I would think 3 first round picks.

Where do I sign? 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2020 at 12:20 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

Take this for what you will but many have speculated that DeShaun Watson will force his way out of Houston and end up on the Patriots.  It started with this tweet:

This led to a number of outlets talking about whether it could happen:

‪Deshaun Watson trade rumors: Here's what a hypothetical Texans-Patriots deal could look like https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-heres-what-a-hypothetical-texans-patriots-deal-could-look-like/‬

‪https://nesn.com/2020/03/patriots-fans-lose-their-minds-over-deshaun-watsons-cryptic-tweet/‬

Personally the only way this is possible is of New England completely bottoms out this season.  They can’t afford Watson this year who would likely want a new contract after a trade.

So in 2021, it would likely tape a crap load of draft picks and money to bring Watson to New England.  That’s only after he plays some serious hard ball by holding out.

Well, I'm a bit confused. NEITHER of those two links constitutes a rumor that Watson is going to the Pats*.  The first link (CBS Sports) just discusses what that trade might be, but (as you note) is CLEARLY labeled as a hypothetical exercise. Plus there is this: 

Is a Deshaun Watson trade likely?

Absolutely not. Let's get that out of the way first

So, NOT a rumor.

The second link simply says people are freaking out about Watson's tweet. But where's the Pats* aspect?

The simply fact is, these are not rumors. They aren't even really speculation (when it comes to the Pats*). They are simply something people are writing about because there is very little actual sporting news to write about. Even so, I have yet to see one actual "rumor" this might happen.

The same tweet/article being linked and discussed by various outlets simply doesn't constitute a "swirl" IMO and again, where's the actual "rumor"?

• Thank you (+1) 2

Reports are that O'Brien refused to take offers for DeAndre Hopkins from any AFC team, because he didn't want to trade him in-conference.

If true, I would imagine the same thought would apply to DeShaun Watson.

Also, the conspiracy theory makes no sense.  O'Brien is currently the GM and Head Coach of the Texans.  That's a pretty enviable/high-profile position.  Very few coaches have that kind of power within their organization.  Why would he give that up, so he could purposely get fired, then return to the Patriots as a lowly coordinator?

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/25/2020 at 10:46 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Let's assume for a minute that the conspiracy theory is true:

Texans get off to a slow start and BOB finds himself on the hotseat early.

As we approach the trade deadline (late Oct), BOB trades Watson to the Pats (even for a 1st).

BOB is fired from Houston.

Can Houston Ownership petition the league to annul the trade? Is there any precedent for the NFL stepping in and stopping trades? Let alone reversing them?

How about this: O’Brien has been promised the Pats job when Belichick retires. Watson is there waiting for him! 
EDIT: I know it’s absurd. It’s not the Patriot Way to do such outrageously cheaty things. And BOB would never do something absurd like trading away his 2nd best player in a year in which the Texans are planning to compete. He’d get fired if the Texans go 6-10! And then he’d have no job .... until the Pats come calling. I’m loving this. Best conspiracy theory ever. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’d be more worried about Andrew Luck coming out of retirement to play for New England than I would Watson. Rivers signed with Indianapolis and it wouldn’t be too far fetched to see them draft a guy like Jake Fromm at #34 making Luck expendable. This is the only move New England could make that would strike fear in me. What better place for Andrew Luck than New England?

7 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I’d be more worried about Andrew Luck coming out of retirement to play for New England than I would Watson. Rivers signed with Indianapolis and it wouldn’t be too far fetched to see them draft a guy like Jake Fromm at #34 making Luck expendable. This is the only move New England could make that would strike fear in me. What better place for Andrew Luck than New England?

Except that it would cost the Cheaters a couple first rounders since Indy still owns his rights.

Just now, Doc said:

Except that it would cost the Cheaters a couple first rounders since Indy still owns his rights.

Could be. Is Luck really ready to walk away though? Could Indianapolis really float Rivers’, Brissetts and Luck’s contracts? Did Luck simply retire to get out of Indianapolis? Did he simply need a year to take care of his body?

On 3/26/2020 at 7:33 PM, Billl said:

Watson completed 80% of his passes in the playoff game, had over 300 total yards of offense, two TDs, no turnovers, a QB rating of 121.2, and made an amazing play to win the game.  Your definition of “wrecked” and mine are very different.

Quite. 

8 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Could be. Is Luck really ready to walk away though? Could Indianapolis really float Rivers’, Brissetts and Luck’s contracts? Did Luck simply retire to get out of Indianapolis? Did he simply need a year to take care of his body?

Don't know, don't care about Luck.  And why anyone would want that quitter is beyond me.  Just saying that if he comes out of retirement, the Colts will demand major draft compensation.

Remember  that time Chris Paul couldnt join the Lakers? I dont think the NFL would ever shut a trade down unless is was hugely disproportionate. If New England traded a bunch of high draft picks for 1 player, they would be in the same position that the Texans are in now(lacking high end draft capital. I still can't believe they didn't get a first for Deandre Hopkins (even with David Johnson being part of the trade)

Edited by Mr. K

Only by people with a lot of free time on their hands and who are trying to connect dots thousands of miles apart for correlations with the potential for being true 0.0001% of the time.

These people are then saying "but there IS a chance!"...yeah, no. Not buying into any of this not even a little bit.

Edited by matter2003

3 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Remember  that time Chris Paul couldnt join the Lakers? I dont think the NFL would ever shut a trade down unless is was hugely disproportionate. If New England traded a bunch of high draft picks for 1 player, they would be in the same position that the Texans are in now(lacking high end draft capital. I still can't believe they didn't get a first for Deandre Hopkins (even with David Johnson being part of the trade)

The NFL wouldn't have to shut it down: the Texans owners would first.  All moves have to be cleared by ownership and if BOB or any GM were to go behind their backs, they would never work in the NFL again.

As for the trade compensation for Hopkins, again, AB was traded for just a 3rd and a 5th.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The NFL wouldn't have to shut it down: the Texans owners would first.  All moves have to be cleared by ownership and if BOB or any GM were to go behind their backs, they would never work in the NFL again.

As for the trade compensation for Hopkins, again, AB was traded for just a 3rd and a 5th.

Only hypothetical. Everybody was ok with Ditka trading a whole draft for 1 player. Say the Hopkins trade is Hopkins for 2 first rounders and  2 second rounders and DJ. Again all hypothetical. And everybody agrees to the trade the NFL isnt say No. Thats all I was saying.

AB trade vs Hopkins trade

AB: 

Requesting trade (do it right and its NBD) than was cut for being a terrible person after being traded to NE

Declining career

Problems with staff, FO, and players

"Diva" drama (instagram facebook twitter)

The rest of the crazy

Hopkins:

In his prime

Top 5 WR and impact every game

DJ terrible contract and unlucky health

Has disagreement with BoB and sent out

Im glad AB made the choice he did not coming here.  I am almost as happy with getting Diggs that I would've been with getting Nuk . Im looking forward to seeing these guys back on the field. I doubt Watson would be in NE. I doubt the Texans are getting rid of a starting QB.

11 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Only hypothetical. Everybody was ok with Ditka trading a whole draft for 1 player. Say the Hopkins trade is Hopkins for 2 first rounders and  2 second rounders and DJ. Again all hypothetical. And everybody agrees to the trade the NFL isnt say No. Thats all I was saying.

AB trade vs Hopkins trade

AB: 

Requesting trade (do it right and its NBD) than was cut for being a terrible person after being traded to NE

Declining career

Problems with staff, FO, and players

"Diva" drama (instagram facebook twitter)

The rest of the crazy

Hopkins:

In his prime

Top 5 WR and impact every game

DJ terrible contract and unlucky health

Has disagreement with BoB and sent out

Im glad AB made the choice he did not coming here.  I am almost as happy with getting Diggs that I would've been with getting Nuk . Im looking forward to seeing these guys back on the field. I doubt Watson would be in NE. I doubt the Texans are getting rid of a starting QB.

If the Texans owners agree to trade Watson, the NFL can't and won't do anything.  But if BOB were to go behind their backs, I believe the NFL would void the trade.

As for AB and Hopkins, AB had a better last season in Pgh than Hopkins did in Hou, so you can't say he was declining.  As for crazy and diva behavior, that's a top WR for you.  So again comparing the AB trade, Hopkins' trade doesn't seem so crazy.  Plus BOB must love David Johnson and consider him worth the equivalent of at least the 102nd (late 3rd round) pick, whose value when added to the 40th overall would get you to the 32nd overall pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Riddle me this:  What do you get when you mix the offseason and an extended home quarantine due to a global pandemic?   

....A 6 page thread dedicated to a “rumor” that’s not a rumor, never was a rumor, and most likely will never be a rumor.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Riddle me this:  What do you get when you mix the offseason and an extended home quarantine due to a global pandemic?   

....A 6 page thread dedicated to a “rumor” that’s not a rumor, never was a rumor, and most likely will never be a rumor.

But they were SWIRLING!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc said:

If the Texans owners agree to trade Watson, the NFL can't and won't do anything.  But if BOB were to go behind their backs, I believe the NFL would void the trade.

As for AB and Hopkins, AB had a better last season in Pgh than Hopkins did in Hou, so you can't say he was declining.  As for crazy and diva behavior, that's a top WR for you.  So again comparing the AB trade, Hopkins' trade doesn't seem so crazy.  Plus BOB must love David Johnson and consider him worth the equivalent of at least the 102nd (late 3rd round) pick, whose value when added to the 40th overall would get you to the 32nd overall pick.

How would BOB go "behind the owner's back"?  There's no chance at this time that the owner hasn't made his preference clearly known regarding Watson at this point.  There's no way BOB could trade him "secretly".

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How is it not a rumor?

Edited by Mr. WEO