Deshaun Watson To Patriots Rumours Begin To Swirl

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Let's assume for a minute that the conspiracy theory is true:

Texans get off to a slow start and BOB finds himself on the hotseat early.

As we approach the trade deadline (late Oct), BOB trades Watson to the Pats (even for a 1st).

BOB is fired from Houston.

Can Houston Ownership petition the league to annul the trade? Is there any precedent for the NFL stepping in and stopping trades? Let alone reversing them?

there is precedent for the league not doing anything to the Pats***.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Texans would be stupid to trade the most valuable asset type in football (a franchise QB on a rookie contract.) But hypothetically if Watson wants out and they have to trade him I would think there are so many teams that could present a better offer. 

The Patriots best offer would be picks 23, 87, 98, 100, and 125 in the 2020 draft along with their 2021 and 2022 first round picks. Which is a solid offer of picks but I would much rather take picks 5, 18, and 26 and a first in 2021 from Miami in exchange for Watson. The imitate impact of those three first along with still pocketing a future first is far greater than one late first and a few third round picks. 

I also think that other teams like Jacksonville could offer picks 9, 42, and 73 along with their first and second round picks in 2021 and a second in 2022. The Patriots just don't have the ammo to really win a bidding war even if they were willing to include 2 future first round picks in such a deal. 

9 hours ago, KD in CA said:

No.

I understand the battered wife syndrome demands we invent new ways for NE* to remaining endlessly dominant, but no one is trading a top 10 QB to Belichick.

A little bit of battered fan syndrome, but mostly 2-weeks-of-no-sports-and-being-stuck-in-the-house syndrome

• Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm tryin!

I know Im splitting hairs, but Im on Day 14 of quarantine and really bored. Plus, Im interested in how this all works behind the scenes. And whether we can simply dismiss ideas like this.

Surpisingly, I havent been able to find anyone who can tell me "NO this isnt possible because ownership must sign off". And the more I pry, the more it looks like he totally could make that trade if he wanted and didnt care about keeping his job.

It's a business - they all operate differently.  The team president or owner may give total control, or they may not - there may be more of a collaborative effort in some teams than others.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2020 at 12:20 PM, Phil The Thrill said:

Take this for what you will but many have speculated that DeShaun Watson will force his way out of Houston and end up on the Patriots.  It started with this tweet:

This led to a number of outlets talking about whether it could happen:

‪Deshaun Watson trade rumors: Here's what a hypothetical Texans-Patriots deal could look like https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/deshaun-watson-trade-rumors-heres-what-a-hypothetical-texans-patriots-deal-could-look-like/‬

‪https://nesn.com/2020/03/patriots-fans-lose-their-minds-over-deshaun-watsons-cryptic-tweet/‬

Personally the only way this is possible is of New England completely bottoms out this season.  They can’t afford Watson this year who would likely want a new contract after a trade.

So in 2021, it would likely tape a crap load of draft picks and money to bring Watson to New England.  That’s only after he plays some serious hard ball by holding out.

They can if they trade Gilmore and a pick or 2 or some other package.

On 3/25/2020 at 12:27 PM, DFT said:

Good post!  I don’t think there’s much to this, but all bets are off with O’Brien. It wouldn’t be nearly as impossible as the cap restriction shows (at first glance), however. It would need to involve top-end contracts like Gilmore’s, and of course Thuney (nearly 15 mil on tag).  It would take some finagling, but anything is possible.  I just sincerely doubt it will happen.  A 1st and the inclusion of Gilmore/ Thuney should allow, but again, a much greater mind than mine is also needed...   

If anybody would be stupid enough to trade away a proven franchise QB still on his rookie deal, it would be O'Brien.  Of course, with O'Brien sending so many key players off to other teams for the equivalent of well used athletic equipment, maybe Watson has informed the team that he wants out, too, although Watson doesn't strike me as that kind of player.  He seems to be a "team guy" but then, even "team guys" can reach their limits.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't understand how anyone sees this as a rumor?  Some random dude made a wishful photoshop of him in a Pats jersey and people took that as a real Watson to Pats rumor?  So if I go make a George Kittle pic in a Bills jersey, does that make it a rumor he might land here too?

Oh the internet...5 pagers dedicated to some dude sitting in his underwear with his laptop making make believe pictures has the sports world a buzz lol

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Does anybody believe this is remotely possible?  I guess a good message board topic but that is as far as it goes.

Did anybody really think that Brady would be playing for any team other than the Patriots in 2020 when the possibility was first raised last year?

Would Houston ownership actually approve trading Watson?  He/she/they not only fired the previous GM and named BOB the new GM but then approved trading Hopkins for next to nothing, so why wouldn't he/she/they approve trading Watson for next to nothing plus 1?    Nothing that's transpired since BOB was named GM suggests that the Houston owner(s) are competent to decide what he/she/they want for dinner much less have any idea of how an NFL football team is supposed to run.

Edited by SoTier

Tinfoil hat stuff for sure. Watson's probably bummed about the Hopkins trade but his tweet reads like song lyrics. 

I don't know what in the blue eff Bill O'Brien is trying to do to that team. I think ownership will regret giving him so much control. Is he trying to sabotage his own career? Because if he makes a trade like that, he ain't ever again gonna get the keys to the GM office and likely the HC office as well. Wouldn't be able to be trusted to do what's best for whichever team he was with. Dude strikes me as an arrogant, egotistical, know-it-all blowhard with a bunghole for a chin. 

On 3/25/2020 at 12:39 PM, mattynh said:

Hey, the Bills traded Mahomes.....anything is possible

Evidently New England-style bending of truth is in vogue in NH.

Obviously from that logic Bills traded T*m Br*dy to P*ts.

Edited by Limeaid

16 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Tinfoil hat stuff for sure. Watson's probably bummed about the Hopkins trade but his tweet reads like song lyrics. 

I don't know what in the blue eff Bill O'Brien is trying to do to that team. I think ownership will regret giving him so much control. Is he trying to sabotage his own career? Because if he makes a trade like that, he ain't ever again gonna get the keys to the GM office and likely the HC office as well. Wouldn't be able to be trusted to do what's best for whichever team he was with. Dude strikes me as an arrogant, egotistical, know-it-all blowhard with a bunghole for a chin. 

Far be it for me to ever defend BOB, but we all said the same thing last offseason with his mad wheeling and dealing, and they had a pretty successful year. So who knows.

Agreed, it sure seems nuts. But so far, it's worked out for him. Which is crazy as well.

• Like (+1) 1

Watson is a good QB.  .....Might not be a popular take...but he just dropped several spots in my mind for sending out a cryptic rhyme.  Either come and and clearly state publicly that you think the direction of the team is BS....or do it privately....don't be a passive agressive baby and do it this way.  Same with Cam Newton.  Are these guys in Jr. High still?  Approach this like a man!

On 3/25/2020 at 1:27 PM, Mango said:

Unpopular opinion alert

Honestly, I will be pissed if this happened and Buffalo did not at leastt inquire. Josh might be better down the line, but Watson is a stud right now at a similar age. This is a SB team with Watson right now. I would trade Josh and a 1st in a heart beat.

Watson is a baller. Always has been and always will be. I was surprised people doubted him after what he did at Clemson. Seems unimaginable the owner would let B O'B get rid of him. Though I would have thought the same of Nuke. He is the best WR and they shucked him out. So dumb.

To get Watson, I would think 3 first round picks.

• Like (+1) 1