Deshaun Watson To Patriots Rumours Begin To Swirl

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm tryin!

I know Im splitting hairs, but Im on Day 14 of quarantine and really bored. Plus, Im interested in how this all works behind the scenes. And whether we can simply dismiss ideas like this.

Surpisingly, I havent been able to find anyone who can tell me "NO this isnt possible because ownership must sign off". And the more I pry, the more it looks like he totally could make that trade if he wanted and didnt care about keeping his job.

I’d imagine that the optics and intentions matter. I can’t see the NFL allowing the trade to go through if the owner makes a public statement lambasting BOB. Imagine the public reaction and ***** show if the owner made an announcement that BOB made the trade after leaked info about him being fired... 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Expected to consult" still doesnt give me the answer I'm looking for that "NO WAY this can happen since the owner MUST approve it".

Going off your first sentence, it would seem BOB could make the trade.

I’ve been digging a bit.  Most teams have a GM or HC who has a contract provision giving them roster control and I do not believe that can have exceptions, even for a QB.*  But here’s the kicker, BOB didn’t have that provision when he became HC in Houston.  The GM did.  BOB was given control of personnel after the GM was fired, but that doesn’t mean he had his contract amended.  So I guess my answer is that without seeing his contract we don’t know.

* Again, that doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t get someone fired.

Edited by BarleyNY

Just now, BarleyNY said:

I’ve been digging a bit.  Most teams have a GM or HC who has a contract provision giving them roster control and I do not believe that can have exceptions, even for a QB.  But here’s the kicker, BOB didn’t have that provision when he became HC in Houston.  The GM did.  BOB was given control of personnel after the GM was fired, but that doesn’t mean he had his contract amended.  So I guess my answer is that without seeing his contract we don’t know.

It might be more of any sane GM would run major trades by the owner so they don't get blindsided by their reaction probably wouldn't apply in this situation.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’ve been digging a bit.  Most teams have a GM or HC who has a contract provision giving them roster control and I do not believe that can have exceptions, even for a QB.*  But here’s the kicker, BOB didn’t have that provision when he became HC in Houston.  The GM did.  BOB was given control of personnel after the GM was fired, but that doesn’t mean he had his contract amended.  So I guess my answer is that without seeing his contract ... we don’t know.

* Again, that doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t get someone fired.

All that just to blue-ball me again! ?

haha, thanks for trying to research. so until we get a definitive answer, I'm going to assume this could happen.

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’d imagine that the optics and intentions matter. I can’t see the NFL allowing the trade to go through if the owner makes a public statement lambasting BOB. Imagine the public reaction and ***** show if the owner made an announcement that BOB made the trade after leaked info about him being fired... 

I would think the same thing. But has the league ever stepped in and stopped a trade before?

I know it's happened in the NBA. I know the NFL "unofficially" did it to the Raiders back in the day.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

It might be more of any sane GM would run major trades by the owner so they don't get blindsided by their reaction probably wouldn't apply in this situation.

I agree.  I was more interested in whether BOB could be fired “with cause” for trading Watson.  That would mean he wouldn’t get paid through 2022 like he would if he was fired in the usual manner.

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All that just to blue-ball me again! ?

haha, thanks for trying to research. so until we get a definitive answer, I'm going to assume this could happen.

I would think the same thing. But has the league ever stepped in and stopped a trade before?

I know it's happened in the NBA. I know the NFL "unofficially" did it to the Raiders back in the day.

So sorry, man!  I hate to do that to ya. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This rumor started on the day BOB traded away Hopkins. The idea is that BOB will trade Watson to the Pats closer to the deadline, and when O'Brien is fired from Houston this year, he'll have a job waiting for him in NE.

There is a lot of tin-foil hat conspiracy theory in that, but I wouldnt rule out anything when it comes to BOB's bad ideas and the Patriots making their own loophole to landing a top QB.

That's the point. If the Texans have a bad year, and BOB finds himself on the hotseat, he'll trade Watson to the Pats, and then go work for the Pats next year.

This is about the dumbest thing I’ve heard.  So BOB trades away Hopkins and in that vein ticked off Watson enough that Watson wants out. 

He trades Watson to NE for a song - which gets him fired.  Then he gets a job in NE and now all of a sudden Watson is going to be fine with him.

If Watson is traded to NE and BOB goes there - Watson is going to want to get away from NE.  

It just makes no sense at all.

Just a thought. If this rumor is swirling on a BB forum, I would guarantee it has made it to the owner by now. Any inkling of this going down has most likely already been approved or smacked down at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Finally, the guy Ive been waiting for!

How does that work tho?

To use your analogy, I can make pricing decisions for minor and even major deals in my job. Since I want to keep my job, I consult with my bosses or other people on major decisions or when I need to step out of our usual boundaries. But if I didnt care about keeping my job, I could totally make decisions they wouldnt approve of and get them under contracts before they could do anything about it.

What process would stop BOB from making the deal?

When you say "The Bills would absolutely need the Pegula’s approval to trade Josh." How so? And as in, need Pegulas approval to complete the trade? Or need Pegulas approval in order to keep their job?

I don’t know the exact way it works but I can speak to the vetoed Chris Paul trade. That’s actually when I was working there so I know that one pretty well. David Stern didn’t step in as the Commissioner of the NBA but rather as the owner of the Pelicans. The league owned the team at this point. He didn’t do it in the best interest of the league but the Pelicans.

I don’t know the specifics of the structure with the Texans. I just know the optics would be disastrous. The public backlash and cries of collusion would make O’Brien toxic (even to the Pats). He’d be committing career suicide (and that’s IF the Texans can’t step in). It just isn’t realistic that Watson can be traded without ownership on board.  Now, O’Brien can lie and try to convince them that trading Watson is a good move. Maybe they will agree but I don’t think it’s possible to trade a franchise player, in any situation, without ownership approval. There are too many dominos tied to that player. 

The more likely scenario, IMO, would be O’Brien making Watson’s life miserable. He could try to force him out the door by just being an idiot. He’s off to a good start there.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

This is about the dumbest thing I’ve heard.  So BOB trades away Hopkins and in that vein ticked off Watson enough that Watson wants out. 

He trades Watson to NE for a song - which gets him fired.  Then he gets a job in NE and now all of a sudden Watson is going to be fine with him.

If Watson is traded to NE and BOB goes there - Watson is going to want to get away from NE.  

It just makes no sense at all.

Bro, these are twitter rumors we're talking about. We could stop the conversation there if we were worried about "making sense". ?

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know the exact way it works but I can speak to the vetoed Chris Paul trade. That’s actually when I was working there so I know that one pretty well. David Stern didn’t step in as the Commissioner of the NBA but rather as the owner of the Pelicans. The league owned the team at this point. He didn’t do it in the best interest of the league but the Pelicans.

I don’t know the specifics of the structure with the Texans. I just know the optics would be disastrous. The public backlash and cries of collusion would make O’Brien toxic (even to the Pats). He’d be committing career suicide (and that’s IF the Texans can’t step in). It just isn’t realistic that Watson can be traded without ownership on board.  Now, O’Brien can lie and try to convince them that trading Watson is a good move. Maybe they will agree but I don’t think it’s possible to trade a franchise player, in any situation, without ownership approval. There are too many dominos tied to that player. 

The more likely scenario, IMO, would be O’Brien making Watson’s life miserable. He could try to force him out the door by just being an idiot. He’s off to a good start there.

This is exactly why I tagged you and summoned you to the thread :thumbsup: Thanks!

It's just really interesting to me how team offices and league offices work. It's why I will always watch every Hard Knocks or All or Nothing. The way these teams and businesses operate behind the scenes is enthralling. Especially when it comes to power-plays and power-struggles.

So optics (and all reason) aside, it's possible BOB could trade Watson to NE, and the Texans ownership would have to step in after the trade goes down to petition the league to annul it?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

This is exactly why I tagged you and summoned you to the thread :thumbsup: Thanks!

It's just really interesting to me how team offices and league offices work. It's why I will always watch every Hard Knocks or All or Nothing. The way these teams and businesses operate behind the scenes is enthralling. Especially when it comes to power-plays and power-struggles.

So optics (and all reason) aside, it's possible BOB could trade Watson to NE, and the Texans ownership would have to step in after the trade goes down to petition the league to annul it?

Depending on how his contract works or Watson’s contract it may be possible IMO. I look at it as “possible” like a 1 point safety is possible. Technically, it could happen (maybe) but it won’t. If Watson leaves the Texans the ownership will have agreed to it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Depending on how his contract works or Watson’s contract it may be possible IMO. I look at it as “possible” like a 1 point safety is possible. Technically, it could happen (maybe) but it won’t. If Watson leaves the Texans the ownership will have agreed to it.

For sure. I thought it was a load of (Mike) mularkey when I first heard it mentioned 2 weeks ago. But it is an interesting idea and something I wouldnt have thought of on my own.

And I think, given all of our experiences with New England, nothing of this sort can be dismissed without a closer look.

• Like (+1) 1

Ownership will always have the final say on a trade of this magnitude.  But maybe the Texans don't love Desean Watson as much as a lot of you posters do.  I think he is a talent, but the Bills absolutely wrecked him in both games we played them under McDermott.  One terrible missed tackle in OT and lousy offense cost us more then anything in the playoff game.  But it would be interesting to see what kind of a trade offer New England or any other team would offer the Texans for Watson. (Makes the offseason a whole lot more interesting)

And for you older posters how about when Commissioner Bowie Kuhn would not allow Oakland A's owner Charlie Finley to sell off his great players from the 1970's Oakland A's because he was short on cash?  That was something.  He invoked his power for the "best interests of the game".  And those A's teams who I believe won 3 staight world series from 72-74 were as talented a baseball team as any I can remember that excelled for more then one year, that I can remember.  Awesome uniforms, mustaches and talent.  Anyone know their entire starting lineup including their starting pitchers and relievers?  I was in elementary school then.  And I remember most of them.