Deshaun Watson To Patriots Rumours Begin To Swirl

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So we know for certain there is some sort of check in place on any/all trades GMs want to make?

And for WEO, my premise is based on the assumption BOB is already on the hotseat at that point and assumes he is going to be fired either way.

GM reports to someone.  I also feel like you would need approval of like.. at least one of these guys below or the owner.  They probably went through with the hopkins move for a few reasons - cap space for one, and hopkins may have been more of a problem than they are letting on.  Who knows.  But there's a 0% chance they trade him.  Why create future cap space for watson only to trade him.  It doesn't make sense.  

President – Jamey Rootes
Executive vice president of football operations – Jack Easterby
Director of football operations – Clay Hampton
Director of college scouting – James Lipfert
Director of pro personnel – Rob Kisiel

Edited by dneveu

36 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's the point. If the Texans have a bad year, and BOB finds himself on the hotseat, he'll trade Watson to the Pats, and then go work for the Pats next year.

NOT with BB in charge he won't.....

30 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Can Houston Ownership petition the league to annul the trade? Is there any precedent for the NFL stepping in and stopping trades? Let alone reversing them?

Houston ownership would step in before any Watson trade would occur.    Next...

Personally, I think Belichick is going to try and develop another mid round QB (either Stidham or someone they draft in the 2nd, 3rd, etc. maybe late 1st at best). I think he might want to prove that he doesn’t need a QB that was a top 10 pick in the draft to win. It would cement his legacy if he’s able to develop another mid/late round QB and continue winning. 

I also don’t see them tanking. It would destroy that whole “patriot way” culture he’s built (where everyone is asked to sacrifice whatever it takes to win) and people would be saying “see, Brady Was the reason for the dynasty!”.

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Houston ownership would step in before any Watson trade would occur.    Next...

I'm waiting for someone to give a definitive answer that ownership is always involved in every trade made in the NFL.

So far, everyone here has said "I'd think", or "I feel", or the like. No one has been able to tell me "Yes, when a GM files a trade with the league, there is a paper the owner needs to sign to approve it".

For all we know, GMs have the authority to wheel and deal autonomously.

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

GM reports to someone.  I also feel like you would need approval of like.. at least one of these guys below or the owner. 

I feel like that too, but so far we havent received that confirmation from anyone who definitely knows.

19 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, that's a part of what I'm wondering and truly dont know. Do owners have to literally sign paperwork to file with the league in order to make trades happen? Or can GMs basically do what they want?

Technically the person who has contractually been given control of the roster has the authority to do as they please.  Some teams don’t have anyone with that.  Dallas, for instance, where Jerruh is the GM.  I’m sure there are others.  The big caveat is that in the vast majority of cases the person with roster control is expected to consult with ownership before major or controversial moves.  Big trades of important players and/or picks are sure on that list.  Adding a player with DV incidents is another example.  But that’s on a team by team basis.  Every team would have its own rules.

Trading away the starting QB and face of the franchise would have to be cleared by ownership in basically every case if it’s not something that the GM contractually has to do.  Otherwise that GM would be treading into some seriously dangerous territory.  I’m not sure what constitutes firing an NFL coach with just cause (so the contract can be terminated rather than paid out), but an owner might be looking to see if something the HC did qualifies if he’s pulling crap like that without approval. 

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm waiting for someone to give a definitive answer that ownership is always involved in every trade made in the NFL.

So far, everyone here has said "I'd think", or "I feel", or the like. No one has been able to tell me "Yes, when a GM files a trade with the league, there is a paper the owner needs to sign to approve it".

For all we know, GMs have the authority to wheel and deal autonomously.

I feel like that too, but so far we havent received that confirmation from anyone who definitely knows.

Feel free to go figure it out ?

• Like (+1) 2

If O'Brien wanted to help New England, he would have sent Hopkins there instead of taking peanuts from Arizona to get him out of the AFC. And Watson might be the only person Houston's owners love more than O'Brien. They'd veto any Watson deal, especially one that sends him to New England.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Technically the person who has contractually been given control of the roster has the authority to do as they please.  Some teams don’t have anyone with that.  Dallas, for instance, where Jerruh is the GM.  I’m sure there are others.  The big caveat is that in the vast majority of cases the person with roster control is expected to consult with ownership before major or controversial moves.  Big trades of important players and/or picks are sure on that list.  Adding a player with DV incidents is another example.  But that’s on a team by team basis.  Every team would have its own rules.

Trading away the starting QB and face of the franchise would have to be cleared by ownership in basically every case if it’s not something that the GM contractually has to do.  Otherwise that GM would be treading into some seriously dangerous territory.  I’m not sure what constitutes firing an NFL coach with just cause (so the contract can be terminated rather than paid out), but an owner might be looking to see if something the HC did qualifies if he’s pulling crap like that without approval. 

"Expected to consult" still doesnt give me the answer I'm looking for that "NO WAY this can happen since the owner MUST approve it".

Going off your first sentence, it would seem BOB could make the trade.

22 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, that's a part of what I'm wondering and truly dont know. Do owners have to literally sign paperwork to file with the league in order to make trades happen? Or can GMs basically do what they want?

The GMs ultimately work for the owners. It’s like any other job. You probably have the authority to make minor decisions without running it through ownership. I’ll use the Bills as an example. I’m not sure that the Bills needed Pegula’s approval to bring in Kaare Vidvek. The Bills would absolutely need the Pegula’s approval to trade Josh. There’s no way BOB could deal Watson without ownership.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Feel free to go figure it out ?

I'm tryin!

I know Im splitting hairs, but Im on Day 14 of quarantine and really bored. Plus, Im interested in how this all works behind the scenes. And whether we can simply dismiss ideas like this.

Surpisingly, I havent been able to find anyone who can tell me "NO this isnt possible because ownership must sign off". And the more I pry, the more it looks like he totally could make that trade if he wanted and didnt care about keeping his job.

Unpopular opinion alert

Honestly, I will be pissed if this happened and Buffalo did not at leastt inquire. Josh might be better down the line, but Watson is a stud right now at a similar age. This is a SB team with Watson right now. I would trade Josh and a 1st in a heart beat.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The GMs ultimately work for the owners. It’s like any other job. You probably have the authority to make minor decisions without running it through ownership. I’ll use the Bills as an example. I’m not sure that the Bills needed Pegula’s approval to bring in Kaare Vidvek. The Bills would absolutely need the Pegula’s approval to trade Josh. There’s no way BOB could deal Watson without ownership.

Finally, the guy Ive been waiting for!

How does that work tho?

To use your analogy, I can make pricing decisions for minor and even major deals in my job. Since I want to keep my job, I consult with my bosses or other people on major decisions or when I need to step out of our usual boundaries. But if I didnt care about keeping my job, I could totally make decisions they wouldnt approve of and get them under contracts before they could do anything about it.

What process would stop BOB from making the deal?

When you say "The Bills would absolutely need the Pegula’s approval to trade Josh." How so? And as in, need Pegulas approval to complete the trade? Or need Pegulas approval in order to keep their job?

Edited by DrDawkinstein

35 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I can’t even imagine the draft capital it would take for NE to get Watson away from Houston.  It would have to be at least 3 1st rounders plus...

No shot.

I would give up 3 1sts and 3 2nds for Watson if i could lock him up, esp if i am the Pats.

Imagine the Pats with Watson, wow, q mobile QB in New England.