Deshaun Watson To Patriots Rumours Begin To Swirl

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I get that Bob McNair is racist and such, but he would not stand for it. O’Brien trading Watson would result in him being gone imo. Trading a top receiver, while egregious, is nowhere near as bad as moving Watson. Would be straight insanity. 

I think he died.  

but I think one thing everyone can agree is how the Texans (should be the Oilers, the Buffalo NeW Yorkers) let Bill O’Brien ruin a team with some of the best young talent in the nfl.  Gave away Clowney (overrated but it was a joke trade), gave away Hopkins for an over the hill and expensive rb, and spent 2 1sts on an OT.  Might as well give Watson away to finish the job. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Let's assume for a minute that the conspiracy theory is true:

Texans get off to a slow start and BOB finds himself on the hotseat early.

As we approach the trade deadline (late Oct), BOB trades Watson to the Pats (even for a 1st).

BOB is fired from Houston.

Can Houston Ownership petition the league to annul the trade? Is there any precedent for the NFL stepping in and stopping trades? Let alone reversing them?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

why would Houston do this?

"Houston" wouldnt. I've already explained why people think BOB as GM would.

4 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

So Bob has more power than Janice McNair?

Do the owners need to sign off on every move a GM makes? Like literally sign a paper? Or do they have autonomy to do what they want?

BOB is GM and HC, so Id argue that he has a LOT of power right now. Power granted to him, and so far allowed, by Janice McNair.

Quoting myself, asking for a friend:

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As we approach the trade deadline (late Oct), BOB trades Watson to the Pats (even for a 1st).

BOB gets a job with New England

Can Houston Ownership petition the league to annul the trade? Is there any precedent for the NFL stepping in and stopping trades? Let alone reversing them?

I feel like that is something @YoloinOhio or @Kirby Jackson would know...

Edited by DrDawkinstein

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I would hope so...that should finally bring the ban hammer to the entire Pats organization including Brady but not Gronk... Barred from football and HoF forever and stripped of all accomplishments

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think he died.  

but I think one thing everyone can agree is how the Texans (should be the Oilers, the Buffalo NeW Yorkers) let Bill O’Brien ruin a team with some of the best young talent in the nfl.  Gave away Clowney (overrated but it was a joke trade), gave away Hopkins for an over the hill and expensive rb, and spent 2 1sts on an OT.  Might as well give Watson away to finish the job. 

Oh jeez, I didn’t realize he died like two years ago! Thanks. 

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"Houston" wouldnt. I've already explained why people think BOB as GM would.

Do the owners need to sign off on every move a GM makes? Like literally sign a paper? Or do they have autonomy to do what they want?

BOB is GM and HC, so Id argue that he has a LOT of power right now. Power granted to him, and so far allowed, by Janice McNair.

Quoting myself, asking for a friend:

I feel like that is something @YoloinOhio or @Kirby Jackson would know...

I don’t know but I doubt it. The good news is that Houston ownership likely has to sign off on that deal. I’m pretty confident that ownership wouldn’t allow a lame duck coach to trade away the franchise QB. 

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I can’t even imagine the draft capital it would take for NE to get Watson away from Houston.  It would have to be at least 3 1st rounders plus...

No shot.

Like what it would take to get Hopkins?

And again, most of this rumor is based on the idea that BOB is about to get fired and go to NE himself. As GM, he can ask for whatever he wants.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t know but I doubt it. The good news is that Houston ownership likely has to sign off on that deal. I’m pretty confident that ownership wouldn’t allow a lame duck coach to trade away the franchise QB. 

Yeah, that's a part of what I'm wondering and truly dont know. Do owners have to literally sign paperwork to file with the league in order to make trades happen? Or can GMs basically do what they want?

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, that's a part of what I'm wondering and truly dont know. Do owners have to literally sign paperwork to file with the league in order to make trades happen? Or can GMs basically do what they want?

One would think they would be made aware if the franchise QB was being moved.  

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Or the owner group could just tell him not to trade Watson or you're fired.

3 minutes ago, dneveu said:

One would think they would be made aware if the franchise QB was being moved.  

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or the owner group could just tell him not to trade Watson or you're fired.

So we know for certain there is some sort of check in place on any/all trades GMs want to make?

And for WEO, my premise is based on the assumption BOB is already on the hotseat at that point and assumes he is going to be fired either way.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

So we know for certain there is some sort of check in place on any/all trades GMs want to make?

And for WEO, my premise is based on the assumption BOB is already on the hotseat at that point and assumes he is going to be fired either way.

There is no way the NFL would nullify a proper trade.  An owner can make any such decision.  It the trade is made, the owner can't say he didn't want it after completed.

If the owner is against the trade, there is no trade.  The GM can't trade if the owner says no.