NFL GM's want Draft postponed

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

Who are you even arguing with? Me or the weighing amount of information that keeps lending it self to why this should be pushed back?

It's not like I'm making up random excuses. These are concerns that have been stressed by general managers.

You keep acting like you know more about the draft process than these guys do.

I think it will be a challenge, and require some innovative thinking. It won't be what they are used to, and that's what scares them. You know people hate change, right?

But comments like "players won't have verified measurements" simply astound me. REALLY? Ever hear of telemedicine?  Why isn't  anyone talking about local doctors doing the physicals, while team doctors participate remotely. Don't they think any doc but them can measure a guy? Scales not calibrated? They can get the X-Rays/ultrasound results/etc without being in the same country as the drafted player.   Interviews can be conducted remotely.

Perfect? No. Doable? Of course.

50 minutes ago, Nester said:

Can’t believe some of you are ok with them drafting potentially sick kids who may not be able to play this year.

Medical officials are talking about long term respiratory problems from people who have recovered from covid-19

If Joe Burrow gets a bad case of Covid-19. No chance he is still the #1 pick. 

I think many people are underestimating the health effects on players during the current crisis.

Well, then just cancel the season now. Because there will be no time anytime before the season when you won't have to worry about a draft pick having Covid-19. The only way to be sure in two months, or three months, or six months will be to TEST them. And that won't be perfect either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

I think I'm taking the information being given and making an assessment based on that information. Much like these GMs would like to do.

This isnt just reading twitter, wtf is going on right now? These are legit NFL media, GMs, and so on. Not every one of these front offices has the same staff, over the course of the time frame you are using. Not every team has the same coaches during that time frame. There is so much more that you are blatantly ignoring. No one is saying they are cramping it into the final two months, what they are saying is there is logistics and information they still need to piece together.

This isnt a school project, these arent teenagers hoping for an extension. These are people with very real decisions to make. Peoples livelihoods are in the balance. Quantifying those decisions as being something so simple, and that the proposed issues should all be ignored because you think they are lying.

We don't have any real idea what these teams are doing in these final months leading up to the draft. Not a single one of us know. In turn if a unanimous recommendation is made to push it back and get everything right, I'll take that over a message board poster telling me they should all have it done by now. 

Moreover, the fact that the term armchair GM triggered you...

What "triggered" me was you acting like you were somehow not just a message board poster yourself.    I am sorry but if these GMs dont have a solid idea of who they are locked in on 4 weeks before a draft they spend years preparing for, it is my opinion, even if you think it stinks, that they are being a bit disingenuous.

You ignored the point I made about why they are waiting for the final weeks before the draft to get medicals and measurements.   Do you legitimately believe, four weeks from the draft that they still dont have the height and weight of hundreds of players?

As far as drafting a football player being a decision that livelihoods depend on, I'd say thats a bit of hyperbole on your part.   People in different fields make real life altering decisions with a lot more at stake than a football game everyday, and they do it in a split second. 

Edited by thenorthremembers

27 minutes ago, The Dean said:

But comments like "players won't have verified measurements" simply astound me. REALLY? Ever hear of telemedicine?  Why isn't  anyone talking about local doctors doing the physicals, while team doctors participate remotely. Don't they think any doc but them can measure a guy? Scales not calibrated? They can get the X-Rays/ultrasound results/etc without being in the same country as the drafted player.   Interviews can be conducted remotely.

In some areas of country doctors have cancelled all appointments other than emergencies.  Both my wife and I have had such appointments cancelled.  Dentists too.  While it is possible for a player to travel outside home area to a doctor in area taking appointments some areas have emergency drives only and despite what some on this board think football is not an emergency even though they are ready to commit suicide with sports.

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

In some areas of country doctors have cancelled all appointments other than emergencies.  Both my wife and I have had such appointments cancelled.  Dentists too.  While it is possible for a player to travel outside home area to a doctor in area taking appointments some areas have emergency drives only and despite what some on this board think football is not an emergency even though they are ready to commit suicide with sports.

I'm finding it slightly hard to believe an NFL team can't locate  qualified medical professionals to check out a player at a mutually agreed upon time and place. I'm sure lots of money may have to be involved, but that is something NFL teams have plenty of.

In any event, I haven't heard anyone from a team mention the telemedicine/telehealth idea, let alone dismiss it for that reason. So I remain doubtful.

Edited by The Dean

44 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I think it will be a challenge, and require some innovative thinking. It won't be what they are used to, and that's what scares them. You know people hate change, right?

Well, then just cancel the season now. Because there will be no time anytime before the season when you won't have to worry about a draft pick having Covid-19. The only way to be sure in two months, or three months, or six months will be to TEST them. And that won't be perfect either.

No one is saying it's not doable, I think the argument is made around how the logistics of all that is going to work. Especially right now with the medical field already so overwhelmed. Ontop of being able to coordinate getting everyone synced up. I am just spit ballin, not saying any of that is truly the case. However, its been common practice for teams to have their own medicals especially on players who had question marks around the combine.

39 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

What "triggered" me was you acting like you were somehow not just a message board poster yourself.    I am sorry but if these GMs dont have a solid idea of who they are locked in on 4 weeks before a draft they spend years preparing for, it is my opinion, even if you think it stinks, that they are being a bit disingenuous.

You ignored the point I made about why they are waiting for the final weeks before the draft to get medicals and measurements.   Do you legitimately believe, four weeks from the draft that they still dont have the height and weight of hundreds of players?

As far as drafting a football player being a decision that livelihoods depend on, I'd say thats a bit of hyperbole on your part.   People in different fields make real life altering decisions with a lot more at stake than a football game everyday, and they do it in a split second. 

So its hyperbolic to think GMs/coaches could lose their jobs over bad drafts. Its hyperbolic to think that these kids stand to make or lose money based on where they are drafted. I mean, I surely I cant absolutely prove those things to be without a doubt true. In turn, you are right its entirely hyperbolic of me.

Moreover, if we really want to compare the NFL draft to situations made split second decisions... really not much of a correlation in context, but sure.

You tell me it's two/three year process, but then compare it to making split second decisions... gotcha.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Mr. WEO

• Master of Threads
  •  
  • Members
  • 30,171 posts
On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 1:41 PM, IgotBILLStopay said:

Ed Oliver and Star regularly got double teamed - that is what opened things up for Shaq and Jordan Phillips. But you are not at all wrong in saying Clowney will consistently command double teams and that will open up sacks for the others. He is worth way more than the 10 mill per / one year prove it deal people are bandying around.

Umm - it takes more than a plane ride. NFL is currently restricting physicals.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106790/article/jadeveon-clowney-hasnt-found-market-he-expected

That only bans team personnel from traveling to see a player or a player coming to the team.

He can get a physical by any doctor the team physician recommends and trusts.   Simple solution they are already working on.  He could fly to see Dr. Andrews, who could do at least a thorough exam as any of these part-time team sports docs, for example.

Pretty simple.

7 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I'm finding it slightly hard to believe an NFL team can't locate  qualified medical professionals to check out a player at a mutually agreed upon time and place. I'm sure lots of money may have to be involved, but that is something NFL teams have plenty of.

In any event, I haven't heard anyone from a team mention the telemedicine/telehealth idea, let alone dismiss it for that reason. So I remain doubtful.

You are correct on all points.  Any of these guys should have no problem getting an appointment with any sports doc or orthopedist to examine them.  Unless there is a known previous history of injury, the most any team would do with their usual predraft physicals is a detailed physical exam.  There's not much magic to the "physical".  Little that is unknown will be learned by the part-time team docs that any of their colleagues anywhere couldn't also learn by exam.

Failing the unlikely scenario that a draft prospect could not find a physician to exam them in person, most of us are doing televideo or telephone "visits" everyday now.  These will be just as useful (or useless) at examining these supremely healthy and fit athletes. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

No one is saying it's not doable, I think the argument is made around how the logistics of all that is going to work. Especially right now with the medical field already so overwhelmed. Ontop of being able to coordinate getting everyone synced up. I am just spit ballin, not saying any of that is truly the case. However, its been common practice for teams to have their own medicals especially on players who had question marks around the combine.

Agreed. It's not common, at all. But these are uncommon times. I know it isn't what the team's staff prefers to do. For one reason, it's not the way they always do it. But most of what needs to be done, can be done. They just need to get innovative and start thinking a bit differently. Welcome the challenge! 

Teams that adapt well will be better off for it in the short term, and might even learn something that keeps them ahead of the curve in the long run.

Just a thought.

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

Agreed. It's not common, at all. But these are uncommon times. I know it isn't what the team's staff prefers to do. For one reason, it's not the way they always do it. But most of what needs to be done, can be done. They just need to get innovative and start thinking a bit differently. Welcome the challenge! 

Teams that adapt well will be better off for it in the short term, and might even learn something that keeps them ahead of the curve in the long run.

Just a thought.

I absolutely agree, they need to be more innovative. However, if these were the procedures from the start of the process, I think it would have been far less of an issue. There is a lot that's uprooted and I dont think it's just as simple as some are making it out to be.

There is also a contingency of kids that weren't at the combine, and some that couldnt test at the combine that pro days and visits could have helped clean up any unchecked boxes. 

Im in no way saying things can't be done via the wealth of technology, but the hurdle isnt the technology. It's trying to scramble and find ways to get this done.

If they're creative they could do some fun stuff, going around the country with video link ups in fans houses. Like, have a huge wall of screens showing Bills fans from around the country or even the world, and show their reactions at the picks. 

Obviously show draft picks as well. War rooms etc. Make it even more interactive for fans and it could be great and something a little different 

This whole thing makes Beane trading away the first pick for a proven player even more of a smart move