NFL GM's want Draft postponed

On 3/25/2020 at 1:39 PM, hjnick said:

Seriously, why could the draft NOT go on other than GMs can't evaluate players as thorough as they would like.

Each teams war room... less than 10 ppl?

Actual draft auditorium... 2 ppl per team, plus some extra ppl...  less than 100 ppl spaced out...

This can be done.

Also, I like the idea of spreading out the draft.  Do it over 5 days, Round 1, 2, 3, 4-5, 6-7

I like that kind of format.  I see no real need to postpone the draft as nothing NEEDS to be done in person. Same as the FA signings.  Things that CAN be done during this time of social distancing, SHOULD be done, IMO.

Gatherings should be limited to 10 people as per trump.

only way this works is 100% online.

players picked won’t be in attendance 

it would be so lame to watch a virtual draft.

push it  into May or June

also, their are reports of Longer term respiratory problems with people who have recovered. Good luck picking a sick kid in the first round just to find out he can’t run like he did just a month ago.

Same with current players. Teams may have huge holes in their line up in the near future.

Edited by Nester

15 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Would you risk your job on a project that didnt have all the information accessible? Having to go into what is already considered a crap shoot that is the NFL draft, with even less ducks in a row seems like a recipe for success.

I would if my boss told me it was due and I didnt have an extension.  I am sorry but if you dont have enough information after 2-3 years of scouting, and your choice really rested on watching an athlete go through a pro day then maybe you need to be doing something else.  They voted unanimously because they had a built in excuse for more time to do their work.

Agree to disagree.  If this was strictly about health concerns due to the virus I'd get it, but given the adjustments the NFL has already made, this isnt what it's about.

20 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I would if my boss told me it was due and I didnt have an extension.  I am sorry but if you dont have enough information after 2-3 years of scouting, and your choice really rested on watching an athlete go through a pro day then maybe you need to be doing something else.  They voted unanimously because they had a built in excuse for more time to do their work.

Agree to disagree.  If this was strictly about health concerns due to the virus I'd get it, but given the adjustments the NFL has already made, this isnt what it's about.

Who are you even arguing with? Me or the weighing amount of information that keeps lending it self to why this should be pushed back?

It's not like I'm making up random excuses. These are concerns that have been stressed by general managers.

You keep acting like you know more about the draft process than these guys do.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Who are you even arguing with? Me or the weighing amount of information that keeps lending it self to why this should be pushed back?

It's not like I'm making up random excuses. These are concerns that have been stressed by general managers.

You keep acting like you know more about the draft process than these guys do.

That "information" can just as easily be seen as GMs making excuses for themselves. And there is probably just as much truth to that as their own claims.

The NFL (and GMs) functioned for decades just fine without this in-depth process. They're just out of their comfort zone now and want to CYA.

By this point of March, everyone should have enough information to make picks. Adapt to the change and get it done.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That "information" can just as easily be seen as GMs making excuses for themselves. And there is probably just as much truth to that as their own claims.

The NFL (and GMs) functioned for decades just fine without this in-depth process. They're just out of their comfort zone now and want to CYA.

By this point of March, everyone should have enough information to make picks. Adapt to the change and get it done.

Holy *****, all the arm chair GMs who want to keep preaching to me how easily the process is and how this is all some sort of excuse by the GMs. I'll lean on the side of taking the word of the execs who have been doing this for vastly longer, and dont like the process leaving a lot of unchecked boxes.

There is jobs, millions of dollars, these athletes livelihoods on the line, etc.. but yeah, just adapt. Gtfo

If people are this desperate for sports, there might be something deeper going on.

9 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Holy *****, all the arm chair GMs who want to keep preaching to me how easily the process is and how this is all some sort of excuse by the GMs. I'll lean on the side of taking the word of the execs who have been doing this for vastly longer, and dont like the process leaving a lot of unchecked boxes.

There is jobs, millions of dollars, these athletes livelihoods on the line, etc.. but yeah, just adapt. Gtfo

If people are this desperate for sports, there might be something deeper going on.

People just disagree with you, take it easy.  Did you think for a second you may be wrong?   Did you think for a second these guys who want the extension may be using the media to their advantage?   Guess what, a lot of these experts were still going to screw it up regardless of having the extra few weeks.  As for not having medicals, the Bills drafted two players just a few years ago who missed significant playing time on shoulder and knee injuries their medical teams cleared. 

On the 30-40% not having verified measurements, where were those measurements going to come from in the last month before the draft?  They had 2-3 years worth of scouting, the shrine game, the senior bowl, and the combine and still didnt have measurements and medicals on players?  Are you telling me the teams spend the last month leading up to the draft sending their medical teams and scouts out to measure up to 500 players?   Give me a break man.  Stop believing everything you read on twitter.

Cool story calling people Arm Chair GMs, very mature way to solve a disagreement. Do you think you're somehow above being an arm chair GM by posting your opinion?  As for me I wasn't planning on watching the draft.  But keep arguing with people on a sports message board, there may be something deeper going on.   

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

People just disagree with you, take it easy.  Did you think for a second you may be wrong?   Did you think for a second these guys who want the extension may be using the media to their advantage?   Guess what, a lot of these experts were still going to screw it up regardless of having the extra few weeks.  As for not having medicals, the Bills drafted two players just a few years ago who missed significant playing time on shoulder and knee injuries their medical teams cleared. 

On the 30-40% not having verified measurements, where were those measurements going to come from in the last month before the draft?  They had 2-3 years worth of scouting, the shrine game, the senior bowl, and the combine and still didnt have measurements and medicals on players?  Are you telling me the teams spend the last month leading up to the draft sending their medical teams and scouts out to measure up to 500 players?   Give me a break man.  Stop believing everything you read on twitter.

Cool story calling people Arm Chair GMs, very mature way to solve a disagreement. Do you think you're somehow above being an arm chair GM by posting your opinion?  As for me I wasn't planning on watching the draft.  But keep arguing with people on a sports message board, there may be something deeper going on.   

I think I'm taking the information being given and making an assessment based on that information. Much like these GMs would like to do.

This isnt just reading twitter, wtf is going on right now? These are legit NFL media, GMs, and so on. Not every one of these front offices has the same staff, over the course of the time frame you are using. Not every team has the same coaches during that time frame. There is so much more that you are blatantly ignoring. No one is saying they are cramping it into the final two months, what they are saying is there is logistics and information they still need to piece together.

This isnt a school project, these arent teenagers hoping for an extension. These are people with very real decisions to make. Peoples livelihoods are in the balance. Quantifying those decisions as being something so simple, and that the proposed issues should all be ignored because you think they are lying.

We don't have any real idea what these teams are doing in these final months leading up to the draft. Not a single one of us know. In turn if a unanimous recommendation is made to push it back and get everything right, I'll take that over a message board poster telling me they should all have it done by now. 

Moreover, the fact that the term armchair GM triggered you...

Edited by BillsFan17

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Hilarious since you are the one who is clearly upset with this discussion.

I'm very very upset that a bunch of people who I will never meet, never actually interact with outside of those message board parade around with this sense of intellectual superiority.

I'll be honest with, it's going to trouble me the rest of the day.

Back to the big boy discussion 

Seems like coaches are following suit with asking for the draft to be postponed.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'm very very upset that a bunch of people who I will never meet, never actually interact with outside of those message board parade around with this sense of intellectual superiority.

I'll be honest with, it's going to trouble me the rest of the day.

Back to the big boy discussion

Take a look in the mirror, my man. No one has attacked you like you are attacking others.

And plenty of us here meet irl and have long lasting friendships. It's a major key to what makes this board great. It's also why so few of us post at each other like you are here.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Take a look in the mirror, my man. No one has attacked you like you are attacking others.

And plenty of us here meet irl and have long lasting friendships. It's a major key to what makes this board great. It's also why so few of us post at each other like you are here.

Outstanding, couldn't be happier for ya. These arent attacks. This was simply an exercise in someone posting information, standing by that information, and others acting like they knew more than everyone else. GMs and coaches has proposed moving the draft back.

Yet, the arm chair GMs think that the disruption world wide doesnt effect the NFL. That these men should have had all their ducks in a row by now.

Who to listen to... hmmmm

If I was a player, I would use this to my advantage.  I would have a live skype with a doctor, private skypes with GMs and coaches, put out promotional videos of my character etc.  If the draft must go on, I would want to do whatever I could to best position myself and out-promote the other players if possible.  Could be a difference in millions.

Can’t believe some of you are ok with them drafting potentially sick kids who may not be able to play this year.

Medical officials are talking about long term respiratory problems from people who have recovered from covid-19

If Joe Burrow gets a bad case of Covid-19. No chance he is still the #1 pick. 

I think many people are underestimating the health effects on players during the current crisis.

Edited by Nester

6 minutes ago, Nester said:

Can’t believe some of you are ok with them drafting potentially sick kids who may not be able to play this year.

Medical officials are talking about long term respiratory problems from people who have recovered from covid-19

I think many people are underestimating the health effects on players during the current crisis.

...and what if a player were to get sick before your new draft date and it kills his draft stock.  Screw that, I want to get drafted (hired in my new profession) as SOON AS POSSIBLE.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Nester said:

Sooo.....when exactly do you want them to start drafting the 'sick kids', given that this virus will be around for a minimum of two years?

On 3/25/2020 at 2:37 PM, eball said:

I'm willing to bet Beane isn't one of the guys begging for postponement.

I agree 100%.  Beane has said that his draft board ready to go before the Combine, to ensure that scouts are grading players as football players first.   This year will be a challenging draft year for every team, but I trust that our team is more prepared than most.  We may get some good players slipping down the draft board into our well-prepared laps.