NFL GM's want Draft postponed

11 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

If you're looking for a great show, try Counterpart. It's only two seasons, and for my money the best show of the last couple/few years. It's now streaming on Amazon Prime.

A few people have mentioned it to me but it is sci-fi isn't it? Sci-fi ain't my bag. At all. 

13 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

@Roger Goodell, can you tell us what your thought process is in either keeping the draft as-is, or pushing it back a while?

As of now the league office is planning to hold the 2020 draft as scheduled, however we continue to evaluate the impact of the COVID-19 virus on NFL operations and will make any and all decisions with the safety of players, team employees, and the general public utmost in mind.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A few people have mentioned it to me but it is sci-fi isn't it? Sci-fi ain't my bag. At all. 

Sorta kinda, although it is set in the present. It’s not Black Mirror-like in terms of actual plot, but for overall sensibility Black Mirror is a decent comp. It has great acting, great writing, and a really strong cast.

Edited by dave mcbride

this season is in serious jeopardy...potential this crisis might last well into the time the season is supposed to be played...there is literally so much just up in the air right now and so much uncertainty.

22 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Yet, they unanimously have asked for the draft to be pushed back. Not just one or two GMs, therefore, without knowing exactly every detail that goes into the process... I'll lean with the people asking for the extension over the bored fans who just want any type of sports.

If you could get an extension at work to finish a project that may decide the fate of your job 2-3 years for now, would you take it?

I know why they are asking.   I just dont think it needs to be done.

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

this season is in serious jeopardy...potential this crisis might last well into the time the season is supposed to be played...there is literally so much just up in the air right now and so much uncertainty.

While anything is possible camp isn't until mid July, that's a long way from now.

The early OTAs are in jeopardy but if things go well the NFL will adjust and have them in a condensed from in June.

The players can all be tested ahead of travelling and after travelling.

If the season (September) is in jeopardy we all got a lot more to worry about other than football.

I understand why they would want to postpone it, but they should really try to press on.

Make it simple, like how it used to be.

Millions of fans have had to change their normal work routines and are working from home.  (Myself included.)

If we can all do it... they can all do it.  Just do it differently.

Plus, I'm just jonesing for some football!

• Like (+1) 2

All 32 GMs suffer from one thing.

Paralyzation by over analyzation.

give them 100 pages of data...or 10 pages of data. It’s all just a shot in the dark if PLAYER A is going to get a Yellow Jacket or be out of the league by 2023.

Enough of this making This seem harder or more important than it is.

make the draft health safe and run it.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Honesty is a refreshment 

It is a very good one

Ingredients

• Condiments
  • 1 tsp Honey
  • Baking & Spices
  • 1 tsp Demerara sugar (you can substitute light brown sugar)
  • Alcohol
  • 1 oz Dominican Republic Brugal anejo rum
  • 1/2 oz Arehucas ron miel guanche rum (I like Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey as substitute)
  • 1 oz Old Forester signature bourbon
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
  • 1 dash Peychaud's bitter

Steps

• Add all the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice, and stir until well-chilled.
  • Strain into a rocks glass over 1 large ice cube.
  • Garnish with an expressed orange peel.

Drink is called "Expense of Honesty"

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/25/2020 at 1:20 PM, BillsFan17 said:

Yet, they unanimously have asked for the draft to be pushed back. Not just one or two GMs, therefore, without knowing exactly every detail that goes into the process... I'll lean with the people asking for the extension over the bored fans who just want any type of sports.

Do you have a link to support that? The article linked by the OP stated "multiple GMs have requested...". Multiple means at least two and less than all (or it would say "unanimously" or "all" GMs instead). My best guess is that newly hired GMs and teams with new coaches will want any reason to delay the draft, those with continuity are probably more confident of where they are and may see an advantage over others. However, Goodall works for the owners. The GMs who want a delay ultimately would convince their owners to push for it. If enough do, Goodall will delay. If they feel the loss of revenue is higher than the expected competitive return to have more time, they won't push for the delay.

6 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Do you have a link to support that? The article linked by the OP stated "multiple GMs have requested...". Multiple means at least two and less than all (or it would say "unanimously" or "all" GMs instead). My best guess is that newly hired GMs and teams with new coaches will want any reason to delay the draft, those with continuity are probably more confident of where they are and may see an advantage over others. However, Goodall works for the owners. The GMs who want a delay ultimately would convince their owners to push for it. If enough do, Goodall will delay. If they feel the loss of revenue is higher than the expected competitive return to have more time, they won't push for the delay.

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

If you could get an extension at work to finish a project that may decide the fate of your job 2-3 years for now, would you take it?

I know why they are asking.   I just dont think it needs to be done.

Would you risk your job on a project that didnt have all the information accessible? Having to go into what is already considered a crap shoot that is the NFL draft, with even less ducks in a row seems like a recipe for success.

This make the Diggs trade an even smarter move, hard to fully scout the rookie class, and possibly abbreviated OTAs/camp is gonna make a rookies transition (assuming you hit on the right one) even more difficult. As opposed to a proven WR that's already performed well on the NFL level, just get him the play book!

Say what you will about Goodell but he is a marketing genius.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2882947-nfl-planning-to-use-2020-draft-for-charity-toward-covid-19-pandemic-relief

The NFL is reportedly planning to use April's NFL draft as a means of bolstering charitable efforts to help those impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, more details will be revealed in the coming weeks, but the league's primary goal is to increase COVID-19 relief funds.

Despite the fact the coronavirus outbreak has prevented teams from meeting with draft prospects and carrying out physicals, the NFL is moving forward with the 2020 draft, which will take place April 23-25.

It was originally scheduled to be held in front of thousands of fans in Las Vegas, but draft festivities were canceled as a result of COVID-19. The NFL has yet to announce how the draft will be presented on television.

2 hours ago, DJB said:

It's a level playing field for all the GM's.

This draft will benefit the organizations who have solid local scouts who know the personalities of the players and their characters. 

Inglourious Basterds - Oooooh That's A Bingo! GIF by MikeyMo | Gfycat

• Haha (+1) 1

On 3/25/2020 at 12:02 PM, Mark Vader said:

The NFL says that the draft will go on as scheduled, despite multiple NFL GM's requesting it be postponed.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001107472/article/no-plans-to-postpone-upcoming-2020-nfl-draft

If the draft were to be postponed, it would probably be for a short time period. With the cancellation of OTA's & Mini-Camps it is a possibility.

I do think that they should change the format, and have it be a 2 day weekend event. There won't be any fanfare. No glitz and glamour, so there is no reason to have it be 3 days long.

They'll still get big ratings, because there is nothing else in sports going on.

will never happen. Only show in town every sports but in world will be tuned in. 

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It is a very good one

Ingredients

• Condiments
  • 1 tsp Honey
  • Baking & Spices
  • 1 tsp Demerara sugar (you can substitute light brown sugar)
  • Alcohol
  • 1 oz Dominican Republic Brugal anejo rum
  • 1/2 oz Arehucas ron miel guanche rum (I like Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey as substitute)
  • 1 oz Old Forester signature bourbon
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
  • 1 dash Peychaud's bitter

Steps

• Add all the ingredients into a mixing glass with ice, and stir until well-chilled.
  • Strain into a rocks glass over 1 large ice cube.
  • Garnish with an expressed orange peel.

Drink is called "Expense of Honesty"

All I wanted was a Pabst Blue Ribbon :beer:

Love how GMs crying about not being able to fully vet draft picks due to the current restrictions-----as though the 1st 2 rounds of the drafts aren't historically littered with bad picks, despite endless off season evals and planning.

• Thank you (+1) 1