Strength and Conditioning?

Has anyone seen an article about if/how Bills players are continuing their offseason strength and conditioning training?  I think most/all team facilities are shut down and it probably isn't prudent for players to be hitting the local public gyms during the pandemic.  I imagine that a few players have some sort of gym at home, but a lot of these guys are fairly young and probably don't even own houses where they can set up a gym.

I would guess that the teams that have the most players that stay in shape through this time will have an advantage if there is a season in 2020.  Given the type of players that the Bills favor, I'll bet that many of them will do the best that they can to be in shape.  

• Like (+1) 2

On the one hand, I heard good things about the Bills S&C program.  It seems to have been a competitive advantage that will be compromised in 2020 by the Covid  19 lockdowns.

On the other hand, the kind of players Bean and McD have brought in are the type who will reliably work out on their own instead of playing b-ball in the offseason like Stevie Johnson. 

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

There really is no S&C aside from regiments being sent to players on a schedule.  This is where foundational culture gets tested.  With activities shut down, what these players are doing with themselves, their methods of staying in shape, communicating and developing will be on full display.  Work ethic is an absolute in these situations.  Guys that think they can coast are going to struggle this year and it could create a paradigm for preparedness going forward.  Right now, the players have to own themselves.  They are 100% accountable, which lends credence to the concern of what this rookie class will be if/when the year begins.  We may see even more draft pick trading in lieu of this.  It’s unprecedented.  

Edited by DFT

My guess is that they just have some sort of continuation of their typical offseason program. These guys don’t really work out in public gyms anyways. I’m guessing that they still have their trainers and routines. While it will be a little different I don’t think it will be a big difference.

• Like (+1) 1

When you think back over the years of big-time players reporting to OTAs and Camps out of shape, it’s an indicator of who they are, away from the game and how much discipline they have to themselves (as ugly as it sounds).  Extra time beyond team-influence will potentially effect some pretty big names this year.   The regiments that are going out are absolutely critical for these players to dedicate themselves to, especially with team activities indefinitely suspended.  Players won’t be able to take themselves for granted during the lull.  Especially the guys in the trenches whose bodies depend on a cardio regiment at their size.   

18 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My guess is that they just have some sort of continuation of their typical offseason program. These guys don’t really work out in public gyms anyways. I’m guessing that they still have their trainers and routines. While it will be a little different I don’t think it will be a big difference.

I think many of them do work out in public gyms, but with personal trainers.

There are pretty effective body weight workouts.  Gronk is said to have loved the Insanity workouts and to have done them 2 hrs/day. 

I posted a Men's Health workout that I'm told is pretty legit.

So hopefully these guys communicate and exchange info about the best workout options outside the gym

The S&T and coaching staffs aren't aloud to communicate in the form of sending their players workout regimens, is my understanding, though I hope if this continues long they will be allowed to communicate in lieu of OTAs.  But they are allowed to chat, so I would think they're allowed to say something like "I've been looking at that PX90 workout and I think it's pretty good, I'm going to try it myself" and the player on the other end gets the flick.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There are pretty effective body weight workouts.  Gronk is said to have loved the Insanity workouts and to have done them 2 hrs/day. 

I posted a Men's Health workout that I'm told is pretty legit.

So hopefully these guys communicate and exchange info about the best workout options outside the gym

The S&T and coaching staffs aren't aloud to communicate in the form of sending their players workout regimens, is my understanding, though I hope if this continues long they will be allowed to communicate in lieu of OTAs.  But they are allowed to chat, so I would think they're allowed to say something like "I've been looking at that PX90 workout and I think it's pretty good, I'm going to try it myself" and the player on the other end gets the flick.

They are, but aren’t allowed to make them mandatory.  The regiments are inclusive with nutrition guidelines and best practices.  I got to see a sample of one last Tuesday.  Very generic, but lays pretty solid guidelines on the BMI/ Macro focus.  Very simple and easy to follow.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Has anyone seen an article about if/how Bills players are continuing their offseason strength and conditioning training?  I think most/all team facilities are shut down and it probably isn't prudent for players to be hitting the local public gyms during the pandemic.  I imagine that a few players have some sort of gym at home, but a lot of these guys are fairly young and probably don't even own houses where they can set up a gym.

I would guess that the teams that have the most players that stay in shape through this time will have an advantage if there is a season in 2020.  Given the type of players that the Bills favor, I'll bet that many of them will do the best that they can to be in shape.  

One studied under Jim Stuckey of Tennessee and other is from Syracuse under Doug Marrone and can squat over 600 pounds.  Stuckey's system at Tennessee was legendary.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DFT said:

There really is no S&C aside from regiments being sent to players on a schedule.  This is where foundational culture gets tested.  With activities shut down, what these players are doing with themselves, their methods of staying in shape, communicating and developing will be on full display.  Work ethic is an absolute in these situations.  Guys that think they can coast are going to struggle this year and it could create a paradigm for preparedness going forward.  Right now, the players have to own themselves.  They are 100% accountable, which lends credence to the concern of what this rookie class will be if/when the year begins.  We may see even more draft pick trading in lieu of this.  It’s unprecedented.  

This is exactly correct. At least from what I’m witnessing in professional baseball. It’s constant phone calls checking in on players. The past week or so has been seeing what resources players have... whether it is a home gym, access to private facility, a few dumbbells, a hill in their backyard, etc. 

Then our strength coaches are going into overdrive creating individual plans for each guy based on their situation and resources. 

Ultimately it falls on the player to be accountable, you nailed it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I met Kelvin Sheppard at LA Fitness back in about 2013.  He was bigger than me.

• Haha (+1) 3

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

On the one hand, I heard good things about the Bills S&C program.  It seems to have been a competitive advantage that will be compromised in 2020 by the Covid  19 lockdowns.

On the other hand, the kind of players Bean and McD have brought in are the type who will reliably work out on their own instead of playing b-ball in the offseason like Stevie Johnson. 

b-ball is a great workout for a wr 

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

apparently you’ve never had barbells thrown at you By Ritchie Incognito at LA fitness.  

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem is all gyms are closed by order of the governor, at least in my area (California). That sucks, because I need to be working out too.

7 minutes ago, class_of_2012 said:

The problem is all gyms are closed by order of the governor, at least in my area (California). That sucks, because I need to be working out too.

it's not the same, but there are a few workout apps that are really good.  some charge like $8 a month.  I started using Sworkit.  Below are links to fitness app reviews.  

https://www.menshealth.com/technology-gear/g23007883/best-fitness-apps/?slide=21

https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/top-iphone-android-apps#jj-official-minute-workout

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

This is exactly correct. At least from what I’m witnessing in professional baseball. It’s constant phone calls checking in on players. The past week or so has been seeing what resources players have... whether it is a home gym, access to private facility, a few dumbbells, a hill in their backyard, etc. 

Then our strength coaches are going into overdrive creating individual plans for each guy based on their situation and resources. 

Ultimately it falls on the player to be accountable, you nailed it. 

In football, are the coaches and strength and conditioning coaches allowed to contact the players in the off-season? 

Or has the NFL/NFLPA relaxed that?