How About Some Love for Knox

BisonMan

47 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Very little has been mentioned in this post so far about his blocking aside from a couple of comments referencing the missed block in the playoff game. To be honest this is an area where he needs to improve as just much as catching the ball, maybe more. He struggled most of the year in this area. He has great potential, but it's his overall game needs to improve. I also agree he's a year away, there will be improvement, but he still has a ways to go.

For a rookie his blocking was pretty darn good for the most part.

• Like (+1) 1

Most of the comments slamming the guy are without any acknowledgment of the fact he was a 4th round rookie being asked to do much more than he did in college. I don't expect him to be a probowler this year but I would surprised if he is below average this coming year.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Most of the comments slamming the guy are without any acknowledgment of the fact he was a 4th round rookie being asked to do much more than he did in college. I don't expect him to be a probowler this year but I would surprised if he is below average this coming year.

Raw prospect showed signs of being raw not shocking. I like Knox and although I think he is a year away from being a consistent starter I think he certainly brings a lot of positives that he can build on.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2020 at 9:48 AM, hondo in seattle said:

I get what you're saying about Know not having a lot of opportunities at Ole Miss but then again maybe they didn't throw to him much because they knew he had hands of stone.   

The problem might simply be that he lacks hand-eye coordination and that's virtually impossible to teach.  I'm not going to rush to judgment on a rookie but the drops are concerning.  He's not getting any love from me - beyond the love I give all players in a Bills uni - until he proves he can be a reliable target for Josh.  

The QB at Ole Miss was atrocious. His best chance was duck and chuck to D.K. 

Knox is a physical TE who can catch the ball. I look for this kid to turn into a real big play TE for us. So glad the Bills didn’t go after Hooper or take a TE early in the draft. I think between Knox and Sweeney the Bills have two very promising young TE’s.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Very little has been mentioned in this post so far about his blocking aside from a couple of comments referencing the missed block in the playoff game. To be honest this is an area where he needs to improve as just much as catching the ball, maybe more. He struggled most of the year in this area. He has great potential, but it's his overall game needs to improve. I also agree he's a year away, there will be improvement, but he still has a ways to go.

The following HOF tight ends started slowly also:

Dave Casper

Kellen Winslow

Ozzie Newsome

Shannon Sharpe

There are, of course, others. Add in the fact that Knox was not actively used in college and the upside should be there...assuming he works on catching (which he has directly said he’s doing). 

I’m holding out hope and, as per usual, lean towards the positive side. ? 

I've heard McDermott specifically reference him out of the blue multiple times. I believe the coaching staff thinks he's the answer at the TE position and I for some reason trust their judgment on him more than I do on Cody Ford. Dunno why. 

On 3/25/2020 at 10:57 AM, Rubes said:

I'm not worried about Knox. He made some filthy catches last year, he has the hands. I think it's more of a concentration issue. He'll work it out. If he does, he could be special.

I'm with you on this. Yeah, there were some drops, some at really inopportune times, but on the flipside he made some difficult catches look easy. Now just reel in the easy ones as well and he'll be fine. I really feel like this team has several players with that "it" factor right now and to me, Knox is one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

He's an enigma right now.  I can understand those who think he's a weak link the offense after how he played his rookie year.... I can also understand those who think hes a future star. 

He's got the ability to be a do-it-all Tight End, and if he can get the concentration drops out of the way, all the other intangibles are there.  He certainly had his fair share of highlight reel plays as a rookie.

On 3/25/2020 at 8:35 AM, BisonMan said:

With all the discussion about Diggs (rightfully so) and how good our WR group is compared to those around the league, I think Dawson Knox is not getting his due.

I think Knox, with just one year in the NFL, is set for a breakout season. We quickly forget that he didn't get many balls thrown to him in his college career. He caught just 15 passes and 0 TDs behind a complete stud WR corp at Old Miss. The Bills recognized this diamond in the rough but, I think, also realized that he wouldn't become a solid catching TE in his first season. Nonetheless, I think he had a great rookie year (28 catches and 2 TDs). He was 15th in the league in yards per reception.

Did he drop a bunch of catches? Yes. According to Fox Sports, he was 3rd in drops with 10 (~25% drop rate, yikes). However, it's not like he had a lot of opportunities in game time situations in his career. If Knox can clean up the drops this year along with having a much stronger receiving corp, Knox is likely to have a breakout year.

Instead of off-season workouts, the Bills should just ship him 25 footballs and this:

image.jpeg.06e14c77b0bcda46adc8fb7545356e74.jpeg

Allen is the only QB who can throw faster than one of those. That ones Max speed is 70 MPH, Allen has been clocked at 74.3 MPH. Maybe next years model will take down Allen. 

Edited by Call_Of_Ktulu

On 3/25/2020 at 6:48 AM, hondo in seattle said:

I get what you're saying about Know not having a lot of opportunities at Ole Miss but then again maybe they didn't throw to him much because they knew he had hands of stone.   

The problem might simply be that he lacks hand-eye coordination and that's virtually impossible to teach.  I'm not going to rush to judgment on a rookie but the drops are concerning.  He's not getting any love from me - beyond the love I give all players in a Bills uni - until he proves he can be a reliable target for Josh.  

Maybe he needs someone tossing bricks at him. Didn't Jerry Rice train his hands this way? I could swear I read that somewhere. Maybe just an urban legend.

On 3/25/2020 at 9:48 AM, hondo in seattle said:

Maybe, but he did make some great catches. I would tend to think it was more of not focusing on the catch first, before making his football move.

11 hours ago, SCBills said:

He's an enigma right now.  I can understand those who think he's a weak link the offense after how he played his rookie year.... I can also understand those who think hes a future star. 

He's got the ability to be a do-it-all Tight End, and if he can get the concentration drops out of the way, all the other intangibles are there.  He certainly had his fair share of highlight reel plays as a rookie.

This is sort of par for the course with high ceiling guys that are drafted after the first round.... They usually have lower floors, character concerns, or are raw talents with question marks. Truth is that at this point everyone is right to believe in their take on Knox. We won’t truly know what he is for another year or two. The potential is there so ??

• Like (+1) 1