How About Some Love for Knox

BisonMan

On 3/25/2020 at 10:57 AM, Rubes said:

I'm not worried about Knox. He made some filthy catches last year, he has the hands. I think it's more of a concentration issue. He'll work it out. If he does, he could be special.

Yes, 90% of draftniks here last year said he was a beast ?. He is an example of the rookie doldrums and validates why we did better than drafting a WR at 22.  I don’t understand the knocks on Knox.  Go Bills! 

He had quite a few concentration drops.  Overall, he wasnt really a focal point of the offense.  Where I'm optimistic, his biggest plays came in the big spots.  He becomes more consistent, he has a chance of being a real difference maker.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:57 AM, buffalojedwardo said:

I can’t believe how harsh some of you guys are on a rookie. He’s a star in the making if you ask me! 

He reminds me of a young Jeremy Shockey. I think he is going to be a star as well. He’s young and raw. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He reminds me of a young Jeremy Shockey. I think he is going to be a star as well. He’s young and raw. 

Shockey didn’t drop balls that hit him right in the hands. I like Knox but he really missed some easy ones consistently last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/25/2020 at 7:06 AM, BisonMan said:

I think the primary reason Knox didn't get any targets in college was due to the WR corp at Ole Miss. He was playing with DK Metcalf and AJ Brown and Ole Miss ran a vertical passing game focused on those guys. Knox we just a decoy. Both WRs appear to be studs in the NFL already.

Also, Knox played QB in high school, so Ole Miss likely had low expectations for his receiving abilities.

I am excited for what this kid can be. Drops can be overcome with training - lots of repetitions.

We saw his Rambo persona on a few catches. Against Cinci (I think), he trucked 2 DBs. Didn't Knox win the GMFB Angry Runs award this year for that run?

Besides, we apparently snatched him just before Belichek wanted him.

I thought I heard Knox would be training with Josh in the off-season (before virus changed things).

EDIT: Knox played WR and QB in HS. He joined Ole Miss as a walk-on full back in 2015.

Edited by Poleshifter
New info found

On 3/25/2020 at 9:48 AM, hondo in seattle said:

I get what you're saying about Know not having a lot of opportunities at Ole Miss but then again maybe they didn't throw to him much because they knew he had hands of stone.   

The problem might simply be that he lacks hand-eye coordination and that's virtually impossible to teach.  I'm not going to rush to judgment on a rookie but the drops are concerning.  He's not getting any love from me - beyond the love I give all players in a Bills uni - until he proves he can be a reliable target for Josh.  

If he had hand-eye coordination problems he wouldn’t be able make the spectacular catches that he makes. His problem is he tries to run too much before securing the catch. That’s coachable

Edited by Protocal69

• 1 month later...

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/05/buffalo-bills-wr-john-brown-says-watch-out-for-dawson-knox-predicts-breakout-year-for-te.html

John Brown in an interview said:

“Real excited, but one thing that a lot of people don’t know is the tight end (Dawson) Knox," Brown said. "I think this will be a big year for him so a lot of guys will have to watch out for him. I think he’s gonna be a breakout player this year and I’m real excited for everyone.”

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/31/2020 at 9:38 PM, DCofNC said:

I love the Juggerknox, as long as he learns to catch, then run.

Exactly. The problem does not seem to be his hands as he makes some great catches. The problem appears to be concentration. Don’t worry about running until AFTER you have the ball. I think (hope?) that is easier to correct than “bad hands”. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Exactly. The problem does not seem to be his hands as he makes some great catches. The problem appears to be concentration. Don’t worry about running until AFTER you have the ball. I think (hope?) that is easier to correct than “bad hands”. 

I'm hoping that too.  It was a big change for Knox from his college role to what is expected from him in the NFL.  I'm sure he had a lot to adjust to.

He got the catching TDs monkey off his back last year.  Improving his drops and getting better as a blocker could take him far this year.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:37 AM, Rocky Landing said:

I feel like that was what I saw. I know he had some catches that looked spectacular. Occasionally, he looked like the best playmaker on the team. I'm expecting a marked improvement this season.

I was able to watch him closely as well.

Seemed like he was trying to turn upfield or at times looking for the defender when the ball arrived. 

Correctable.

he made some amazing catches as well. which made me look closer at his play whe Josh was throwing to him.
I love the Kid. he is bound to be a play maker like Allen is. just needs to work on a few things/ Like where the yard marker is and when to stay inbounds or go out to stop the clock. !

I hear fans looking for mechanical or psychological reasons why a big athletic TE dropped some balls as a rookie. The guy got 5 or 6 targets at Ole Miss. He was probably the most talented of any TE on this team and spreads the field better than most with his speed. He breaks tackles and will run over people. Had a big catch in the playoff game.He missed some blocks also. All in all, the kid was a great 4th rd pick. Looking for great things this year. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

He has great hands, it’s definitely just concentration which can be improved. I’m not worried about the drops at all. Even Travis Kelce still has some bad ones so it’s going to happen.

Very little has been mentioned in this post so far about his blocking aside from a couple of comments referencing the missed block in the playoff game. To be honest this is an area where he needs to improve as just much as catching the ball, maybe more. He struggled most of the year in this area. He has great potential, but it's his overall game needs to improve. I also agree he's a year away, there will be improvement, but he still has a ways to go.