How About Some Love for Knox

BisonMan

His missed block in OT against Houston was a killer and pretty much cost the Bills the game. Two other guys walked right by too but that was Knox's man. 

Having said that, this guy has the potential to be a superstar from some of the things we saw last year. All the talent in the world. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BisonMan said:

With all the discussion about Diggs (rightfully so) and how good our WR group is compared to those around the league, I think Dawson Knox is not getting his due.

I think Knox, with just one year in the NFL, is set for a breakout season. We quickly forget that he didn't get many balls thrown to him in his college career. He caught just 15 passes and 0 TDs behind a complete stud WR corp at Old Miss. The Bills recognized this diamond in the rough but, I think, also realized that he wouldn't become a solid catching TE in his first season. Nonetheless, I think he had a great rookie year (28 catches and 2 TDs). He was 15th in the league in yards per reception.

Did he drop a bunch of catches? Yes. According to Fox Sports, he was 3rd in drops with 10 (~25% drop rate, yikes). However, it's not like he had a lot of opportunities in game time situations in his career. If Knox can clean up the drops this year along with having a much stronger receiving corp, Knox is likely to have a breakout year.

Instead of off-season workouts, the Bills should just ship him 25 footballs and this:

image.jpeg.06e14c77b0bcda46adc8fb7545356e74.jpeg

Maybe he didn't get many balls thrown at him in college because it was known that he was just average catching a high number of passes.

Not sure great hands are developed in the league...I think you either have them entering the league, or you won't for a career.

I'd be stoked if his hands developed with the rest of his game, but my gut feeling is that we may be forced to  appreciate him for what he does bring to the table until the position is upgraded. 

I'm crossing my fingers though and hoping for the best.

10 hours ago, BisonMan said:

With all the discussion about Diggs (rightfully so) and how good our WR group is compared to those around the league, I think Dawson Knox is not getting his due.

I think Knox, with just one year in the NFL, is set for a breakout season. We quickly forget that he didn't get many balls thrown to him in his college career. He caught just 15 passes and 0 TDs behind a complete stud WR corp at Old Miss. The Bills recognized this diamond in the rough but, I think, also realized that he wouldn't become a solid catching TE in his first season. Nonetheless, I think he had a great rookie year (28 catches and 2 TDs). He was 15th in the league in yards per reception.

Did he drop a bunch of catches? Yes. According to Fox Sports, he was 3rd in drops with 10 (~25% drop rate, yikes). However, it's not like he had a lot of opportunities in game time situations in his career. If Knox can clean up the drops this year along with having a much stronger receiving corp, Knox is likely to have a breakout year.

Instead of off-season workouts, the Bills should just ship him 25 footballs and this:

image.jpeg.06e14c77b0bcda46adc8fb7545356e74.jpeg

I don’t think anyone forgot he didn’t get many balls thrown to him in college it was all anyone talked about. Media and fans alike. 

Id like to see him hold onto more balls though. Dude seems to be everything we ever wanted with the ball in his hands. 

He’s just got to do better getting the football in them. 

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get what you're saying about Know not having a lot of opportunities at Ole Miss but then again maybe they didn't throw to him much because they knew he had hands of stone.   

The problem might simply be that he lacks hand-eye coordination and that's virtually impossible to teach.  I'm not going to rush to judgment on a rookie but the drops are concerning.  He's not getting any love from me - beyond the love I give all players in a Bills uni - until he proves he can be a reliable target for Josh.  

If he lacked hand eye coordination and had hands of stone, I don't think he would have made any of the rediculous grabs that he made. Down the side line against the Ravens, deep against NE...

I think there's every reason the believe he can improve his catch percentage since a number of the drops seemed mental. Rookies process slower on the field. Once the game slows down for him a bit, I think he could be very good. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes, I know he has a REALLY high % of drops. But damn, I just looked at this highlight clip. Some of the catches he did make are awesome. Like Josh, he came out of college a lot more raw than most other draftees. Anyway, he is on the roster, a Bills, will play for the team next year, so... GO KNOX

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Maybe he didn't get many balls thrown at him in college because it was known that he was just average catching a high number of passes.

Not sure great hands are developed in the league...I think you either have them entering the league, or you won't for a career.

I'd be stoked if his hands developed with the rest of his game, but my gut feeling is that we may be forced to  appreciate him for what he does bring to the table until the position is upgraded. 

I'm crossing my fingers though and hoping for the best.

As another poster mentioned Knox made a lot of great catches that only someone with great hand eye coordination and hands could make. But then he made a lot of boneheaded drops with no defenders relatively close to him. l think it is a mental approach and a lack of experience gameplay wise that leads to that lack of consistency rather than outright bad hands. I hope that's the case as I think reps and playing time are things that can improve his play. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, bmur66 said:

The angry run was good stuff. Needs to work on catching the ball first. Makes hard catches but drops the easy ones

this.  he made a bunch of crazy catches (caught one with his bicep).  He also runs angry when he has the ball and hunts for extra yards.  He was a rookie, and his numbers (esp. if he had less drops) were on-line with some TE 1's rookie numbers.  

30 minutes ago, buffalojedwardo said:

I can’t believe how harsh some of you guys are on a rookie. He’s a star in the making if you ask me! 

Knox did a lot of good things you’d want to see out of a top tight end. But as far as “love” goes, he’ll get the love when he cuts his drop rate in half. Not gonna rep for this guy like he’s the second coming of tony gonzales yet.

19 hours ago, DrDare said:

No one wants to hear it but it's a technique problem

The way the high schools teach you to catch is wrong

He need to become more natural

Well, he didn't get much H.S. training on catching... Knox was a QB coming out of high school. See bullet point #1:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/5-things-to-know-about-tight-end-dawson-knox

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Yes, I know he has a REALLY high % of drops. But damn, I just looked at this highlight clip. Some of the catches he did make are awesome. Like Josh, he came out of college a lot more raw than most other draftees. Anyway, he is on the roster, a Bills, will play for the team next year, so... GO KNOX

The thing is, he only needs to make 3 more catches last year to increase his catch % to match John Brown... Now he has a lot further to go to match someone like George Kittle, but I expect growth this year from Knox in the catch %. Especially on the easy ones that hit him in the hands. 

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I don’t think Knox earned the right to be the starting TE this season, and I wish there was a better option. He has potential, but I’m not comfortable with him as the starter before he learns a little more. This quarantine madness has allowed me the opportunity to rewatch the 2019 season. Knox was very detrimental to this offense. Championship teams don’t have players who make the same blunders every game. Knox dropped critical passes on a regular basis, and we would have been a much better offense without that liability. I recognize the fact that he made a few big plays, but I’m not convinced they come close to making up for all the drops. 

Edited by SirAndrew

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They struck out on a guy from Carolina so they roll with what they have. I agree with you. I don’t like their TE group. Although Knox does have potential, his drops and mental mistakes were head scratching.

Yep, he has the potential to be a beast, but much work needs to be done to get there. It seems that Daboll wants the TE to be a big part of his offense, but you need a competent one to run such an offense. I hope that he improves this season, because another year like last will hold this team back. 

On 3/25/2020 at 9:52 AM, TigerJ said:

I'm eager to see what kind of improvement Knox makes this season.  He has made it his personal goal not to drop any passes this season.  I'll believe that when I see it, but I do think one can improve in that area with work.

The fact that he is self aware show plenty for me to cheer him on.

admittedly i have bias here. i like him and Sweeney both looking forward for the Bills