How About Some Love for Knox

BisonMan

10 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

As far as drops goes, there was a stat I saw recently (I'll see if I can find it), but nearly all the top tigh ends had pretty atrocious drop rates.  Kelce leads them all, coincidentally.

Keep throwing to him!  He's a budding star,  IMO.

Kelce dropped 5.9% of his targets and had 8 total drops versus 97 receptions

Knox dropped 20% of his targets and had 10 total drops versus 28 receptions.  

It's not remotely close.  Knox was a drop machine last season - an easy winner of the NFL's 2019 "Hands of Stone" award.  

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=0&sortOrder=0

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Kelce dropped 5.9% of his targets and had 8 total drops versus 97 receptions

Knox dropped 20% of his targets and had 10 total drops versus 28 receptions.  

It's not remotely close.  Knox was a drop machine last season - an easy winner of the NFL's 2019 "Hands of Stone" award.  

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?season=2019&week=100&category=RECEIVING&opp=0&sort=10&qualified=0&sortOrder=0

I know, I had to correct my post.  Drops in relation to targets it's not even close.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Edited by Chicken Boo

29 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

He deserves love because he also possesses a skill set very few TE's in the league have.  Yes the drops are concerning, but he also made 3 or 4 pretty amazing plays throughout the year too that very few others could have made.  Likely will know by the end of this season as will be given every opportunity to flourish.

Just one time can someone post a picture of a pro athlete with an ugly wife or GF!

Well, there is Pegs caught in a creepy Uncle Joe moment, perhaps... :unsure:

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

The problem might simply be that he lacks hand-eye coordination and that's virtually impossible to teach.  I'm not going to rush to judgment on a rookie but the drops are concerning.  He's not getting any love from me - beyond the love I give all players in a Bills uni - until he proves he can be a reliable target for Josh.  

If you look at his targets, it's pretty easy to see he actually has great hand-eye coordination.

He made some very difficult catches this year - tight window, DB hands in his face, pulling on his arms etc.

The drops he made were usually uncontested catches where he had room to turn and run.  They're a focus problem, not a hand-eye coordination problem.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get what you're saying about Know not having a lot of opportunities at Ole Miss but then again maybe they didn't throw to him much because they knew he had hands of stone.   

The problem might simply be that he lacks hand-eye coordination and that's virtually impossible to teach.  I'm not going to rush to judgment on a rookie but the drops are concerning.  He's not getting any love from me - beyond the love I give all players in a Bills uni - until he proves he can be a reliable target for Josh.  

Since when is it impossible to teach hand-eye coordination? 

I have high hopes for him. Ole Miss threw mostly to speed guys on quick slants or go’s so TE’s didn’t get much love. 

I appreciated, when he was on OBL recently, where he owned the drops and talked about the work he’s putting in. Also, as has been said a zillion times here, pass catchers take time to adjust to the NFL. This kid will be great.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you look at his targets, it's pretty easy to see he actually has great hand-eye coordination.

He made some very difficult catches this year - tight window, DB hands in his face, pulling on his arms etc.

The drops he made were usually uncontested catches where he had room to turn and run.  They're a focus problem, not a hand-eye coordination problem.

wow plays and mind numbing drops but it was year 1

• Like (+1) 2

Knox is exciting and I love the guy.  Easy to root for and a beast with the ball.  He's got to get better and stop dropping the easy ones.  I think he will.  I'm expecting big improvement because he now has a year in the system, a year with the QB, and will be in an offense that will have more weapons.

I'm glad the FO resisted the temptation to go with a FA number one TE.  I think one big way for sustained success is when draft choices are peppered throughout the starting lineup.  I think Knox will be one of those, he just needs the chance.

• Like (+1) 1

I love Knox but he might be a year away from being a truly good complete TE. I think he is more consistent and has less bone headed drops in year two. But I still think his play is very up and down in year 2. He is a good athlete and worth the snaps and playing time to develop. But I think anyone expecting him to look like a top elite TE or anywhere close to a pro-bowl caliber TE is diluting themselves. Knox as good of an athlete as he is, was also super raw coming out of college. I think that it was always going to be year 3 for him if he is going to blossom. I wish they had found a way to get a vet TE in there to split the snaps year one, I guess they have faith in Kroft. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

100% agree. He was always looking to run up field, and taking his eyes off the ball for his drops. 

his hands are not the issue, like you say. 

which is good as far as coachability is concerned.

5 hours ago, babulator said:

He had 10 drops on like 30 targets (small exaggeration). He's a liability, until he proves he's not.

I hope he makes us all eat crow, but let's not go out and start buying Jerseys just yet.

His ability to run people over is fun but if he can't catch the damn ball he's worthless.  Even Jack's grandson could catch the ball. This will be a make or break season for Knox.

• Like (+1) 1