How About Some Love for Knox

BisonMan

With all the discussion about Diggs (rightfully so) and how good our WR group is compared to those around the league, I think Dawson Knox is not getting his due.

I think Knox, with just one year in the NFL, is set for a breakout season. We quickly forget that he didn't get many balls thrown to him in his college career. He caught just 15 passes and 0 TDs behind a complete stud WR corp at Old Miss. The Bills recognized this diamond in the rough but, I think, also realized that he wouldn't become a solid catching TE in his first season. Nonetheless, I think he had a great rookie year (28 catches and 2 TDs). He was 15th in the league in yards per reception.

Did he drop a bunch of catches? Yes. According to Fox Sports, he was 3rd in drops with 10 (~25% drop rate, yikes). However, it's not like he had a lot of opportunities in game time situations in his career. If Knox can clean up the drops this year along with having a much stronger receiving corp, Knox is likely to have a breakout year.

Instead of off-season workouts, the Bills should just ship him 25 footballs and this:

image.jpeg.06e14c77b0bcda46adc8fb7545356e74.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

With all the discussion about Diggs (rightfully so) and how good our WR group is compared to those around the league, I think Dawson Knox is not getting his due.

I think Knox, with just one year in the NFL, is set for a breakout season. We quickly forget that he didn't get many balls thrown to him in his college career. He caught just 15 passes and 0 TDs behind a complete stud WR corp at Old Miss. The Bills recognized this diamond in the rough but, I think, also realized that he wouldn't become a solid catching TE in his first season. Nonetheless, I think he had a great rookie year (28 catches and 2 TDs). He was 15th in the league in yards per reception.

Did he drop a bunch of catches? Yes. According to Fox Sports, he was 3rd in drops with 10 (~25% drop rate, yikes). However, it's not like he had a lot of opportunities in game time situations in his career. If Knox can clean up the drops this year along with having a much stronger receiving corp, Knox is likely to have a breakout year.

Instead of off-season workouts, the Bills should just ship him 25 footballs and this:

image.jpeg.06e14c77b0bcda46adc8fb7545356e74.jpeg

I get what you're saying about Know not having a lot of opportunities at Ole Miss but then again maybe they didn't throw to him much because they knew he had hands of stone.   

The problem might simply be that he lacks hand-eye coordination and that's virtually impossible to teach.  I'm not going to rush to judgment on a rookie but the drops are concerning.  He's not getting any love from me - beyond the love I give all players in a Bills uni - until he proves he can be a reliable target for Josh.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm eager to see what kind of improvement Knox makes this season.  He has made it his personal goal not to drop any passes this season.  I'll believe that when I see it, but I do think one can improve in that area with work.

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I get what you're saying about Know not having a lot of opportunities at Ole Miss but then again maybe they didn't throw to him much because they knew he had hands of stone.   

The problem might simply be that he lacks hand-eye coordination and that's virtually impossible to teach.  I'm not going to rush to judgment on a rookie but the drops are concerning.  He's not getting any love from me - beyond the love I give all players in a Bills uni - until he proves he can be a reliable target for Josh.  

It usually looked like he took his eye off the ball and started looking up field. Josh has a cannon so that probably didn’t help when he took his eye off the ball. For now I’m hopeful he can improve. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think the primary reason Knox didn't get any targets in college was due to the WR corp at Ole Miss. He was playing with DK Metcalf and AJ Brown and Ole Miss ran a vertical passing game focused on those guys. Knox we just a decoy. Both WRs appear to be studs in the NFL already.

• Like (+1) 2

Until he's a consistent guy why does he deserve love over and above the hope he does better this year? Players come and go based on performance. Play well and I'll love you, play ok and I admire you, play poorly and I don't care if you play here ever again.

• Like (+1) 4

31 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

It usually looked like he took his eye off the ball and started looking up field. Josh has a cannon so that probably didn’t help when he took his eye off the ball. For now I’m hopeful he can improve. 

I hope you're right about him taking his eye off the ball because that is correctable. 

He looked like Gronk on that catch and run versus Cinci.  I'm hoping plays like that define his career, not his drops.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 4

42 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I feel like that was what I saw. I know he had some catches that looked spectacular. Occasionally, he looked like the best playmaker on the team. I'm expecting a marked improvement this season.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

As far as drops goes, there was a stat I saw recently (I'll see if I can find it), but nearly all the top tight ends had pretty atrocious drop rates *(Cook, Ebron, Mark Andrews, Kelce).  It's surprising.

Keep throwing to him!  He's a budding star,  IMO.

Edited by Chicken Boo

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan said:

Until he's a consistent guy why does he deserve love over and above the hope he does better this year? Players come and go based on performance. Play well and I'll love you, play ok and I admire you, play poorly and I don't care if you play here ever again.

He deserves love because he also possesses a skill set very few TE's in the league have.  Yes the drops are concerning, but he also made 3 or 4 pretty amazing plays throughout the year too that very few others could have made.  Likely will know by the end of this season as will be given every opportunity to flourish.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

He deserves love because he also possesses a skill set very few TE's in the league have.  Yes the drops are concerning, but he also made 3 or 4 pretty amazing plays throughout the year too that very few others could have made.  Likely will know by the end of this season as will be given every opportunity to flourish.

Just one time can someone post a picture of a pro athlete with an ugly wife or GF!

How about pretty wife, ugly girlfriend? 

image.jpeg.493e730473e247920bba57cc8f993a7c.jpegImage result for baker mayfield accuser

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm not worried about Knox. He made some filthy catches last year, he has the hands. I think it's more of a concentration issue. He'll work it out. If he does, he could be special.

• Like (+1) 6