Bills are 3 pieces away from Super Bowl

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Back in the day, the Bills had Thurman Thomas and Kenny Davis.  Different style runners......and made it to the SB 4 times. Neither was a hammer. The second back doesn't need to be a hammer necessarily imho.   I personally like the RB guy from LSU..........

Agree, doesn't have to be. I just gravitate to this type. Especially when you don't have to give him the lions share to help keep fresh (ie Henry).

Love the LSU kid.

But give me the HAMMER! 

46 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think the need will be more clear when Singletary gets banged up or pulls a hammy and misses 2-3 games. THEN what do we do? I remember a few years ago when we were signing guys off the street just to have bodies. Motor needs help in every game, and the team needs depth in case he goes down. 

I can't stress enough the need for the Bills to significantly upgrade the bottom of their roster if they are serious about becoming a bonafide SB contender.  There were too many street FA caliber players on the team last season, especially on offense.  Both SB teams last season were loaded with talent beyond their starters, so that when one guy got hurt, they could fill his slot with another decent NFL caliber player, not a guy who ought to have been bagging groceries or selling insurance.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm on the 2 out of 3 ain't bad bandwagon.  Of course Josh's continued improvement is huge.  And it's exciting because many, including myself, expect it to happen.

Secondly, most here expect RB2 additions.  Myself, I would like to see a vet and a draftee.  For Vets, the OP seemed to miss Hyde as an option.  Hyde or Freeman are my top 2 options and then someone in the draft.  Get a late vet who would then be coming in a bargain price, humble and hungry.  Also draft one for the future.

I would like to see the edge improved.  Would really elevate the whole rest of the D if there was more pressure.  But not at the expense of the future number 1 pick.  No way.  This team is on a plan to be a multi year contender.  Don't get overanxious and give away a future number one to get an expensive piece.  I would much rather just pay the piper and bring in Clowney over paying big and giving up a future number one to bring in YN.

15 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I agree with you, last year's D was elite.  I think our D could be historically great with a legitimate edge rusher like Ngakoue.  The Ravens won the Super Bowl in '01 with that amazing defense and Trent Dilfer at QB.  The Ravens didn't even bring him back next year.  For better or worse, our offense is pretty much set right now for 2020 except for the RB2.  If we can put Ngakoue on this D we might not need as much out of Josh Allen and the offense. 

Defenses can win championships. The final score of Super Bowl LIII, just the year before last, was Patriots 13 --- LA Rams 3.

Oh! good God, seems like forever before the number of years between ¨today¨ and 2001, be finally  long enouf´,  so  that we forget about Dilfer at QB; happen to wonder why there is not a more recent example?, the road less traveled is.... ?

I agree with all 3 points with some caveats ... 24 points per game is not enough to win a SB. It needs to be closer to 26/27.   Also they don’t have the cap space and the draft capital this year now for a top 5 edge rusher so they better find the diamond in the rough. The jags aren’t trading him just because he says to trade me unless they get a haul. They cleared cap room for him for a reason. 

16 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I believe the Bills are just three pieces away from being a serious Super Bowl contender.  One of those pieces is already on the roster, one should not be too hard to come by, and the final piece will cost a pretty penny.

The first piece is a QB who is able to lead an offense that can score an average of 24 points a week.  Last season the Bills averaged 19.6.  The top six offenses last season were Ravens 33.2, San Fran 29.9,  Saints 28.6, Bucs 28.6, Chiefs 28.2, and Dallas 27.2 points per game.  Obviously averaging 28 points a week from Josh Allen and Co. would be even better, but I think that with our defense coming back essentially intact, we can probably be in every game if the offense can just score 24 points. 

Josh Allen needs to take another step and with another year in the League and in this offense, with O-Line stability and more playmakers, the table is set for him to play much better.  He wasn't a turn over machine last year, far from it, he had 9 INTs and 4 lost fumbles for a very respectable 13 turnovers during the regular season.  A QB averaging less than one turn over a game is solid.  Allen protects the ball, now he needs to start putting some more points on the board.

The second piece is a solid backfield compliment to Singletary.  Whoever they are is not on the roster yet.  The RB back position is the one position that a rookie can step in from the college ranks and make a difference.  That may be the way to go because the free agent RB market is drying up fast.  Devonta Freeman, Lamar Miller, and Chris Thompson are probably the three best still out there.  Not very inspiring.  That is why I think the Bills go best RB on the board with their pick in the 2nd or 3rd round like J.K. Dobbins out of Ohio State or A.J. Dillon out of Boston College who is a bruiser at 6'0' and 247 lbs.  Our own version of a thunder and lightning with him and Motor in the backfield.  A second RB is still a big hole on this roster and it needs to be addressed if we are going to contend for a championship

The third piece is an honest to god EDGE rushing beast who can consistently get after the QB.  This is going to be the expensive part.  The Bills finished 12th in the League last year with 44 sacks.  For reference, the top squad was Pittsburgh with 54.  Watching our defense last year swarm the ball, repeatedly bend but not break, and only give up an incredible 16.2 points per game (behind only the Pats at 14.1), I think many would be happy to just stand pat where we are and that would be a reasonable argument, but I would disagree.  We are trying to beat out 31 other teams to the championship.  We are in a two year window with Allen on his rookie contract and a wide open division.  We need to strike now.

I think adding Yannick Ngakoue from the Jags would be the final piece of the puzzle.  It would be expensive and would almost certainly cost us next year's first and eat up a bunch of our remaining cap space this year.  Would Clowney on a 1 year "prove it" deal be a reasonable, less expensive option?  Maybe.  I'd rather go with Ngakoue who by all accounts seems more like a "Process" guy than Clowney.   Ngakoue is only 25 and Clowney is 27 with more of an injury history.  

We are not going to draft a rookie EDGE in the 2nd round this year who is going to be an immediate difference maker.  I don't think that anyone we would add with a late 1st round pick next year would have the kind of impact that Ngakoue would.  More to the point, that 1st round pick in next year's draft doesn't help us at all this year when we have a real chance to make a run. Putting a beast like Ngakoue on this defense right now would create the scariest defense in the NFL and would make life very tough on Lamar Jackson and Mahomes who we need to get past to get to the Super Bowl.  Having a stronger defense would provide Allen and the offense with an even bigger cushion this year. 

I think now is the time to make these moves. (1) Allen takes a step,  (2) grab a solid RB2,  (3) make a deal for Ngakoue, and the Buffalo Bills will be true contenders for the AFC crown and a Super Bowl berth.  It's time for Beane to push his chips into the middle of the table.

thanks for doing this.   

I think your first piece is exactly on the money.  Bills aren't going anyplace unless Allen performs at a higher level.  

I think your second and third pieces COULD be part of taking the team to the top, but aren't necessary. 

Who's to say that they need a solid second running back?   I mean, sure, most good teams have some kind of one two punch, but maybe Singletary becomes a full-fledged three-down back and is spelled by a committee.   Yes, I hope they have a good #2 guy, a guy who puts up 500 yards and catches some balls, but it doesn't have to be that way.

And edge rusher?   You just got done telling us the Bills had 44 sackes and 54 led the league.   What did those 54 sacks get the Steelers?   It's really easy to imagine a team that gets 44 sacks again this year and gets good pressure from the line - there are no weak links on the line, and winning big.   I just don't see why the Bills have to get 10 more sacks to win the Super Bowl.  KC won the Super Bowl last year with 45 sacks, so won't it be enough if the Bills get just one more?

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

thanks for doing this.   

I think your first piece is exactly on the money.  Bills aren't going anyplace unless Allen performs at a higher level.  

I think your second and third pieces COULD be part of taking the team to the top, but aren't necessary. 

Who's to say that they need a solid second running back?   I mean, sure, most good teams have some kind of one two punch, but maybe Singletary becomes a full-fledged three-down back and is spelled by a committee.   Yes, I hope they have a good #2 guy, a guy who puts up 500 yards and catches some balls, but it doesn't have to be that way.

And edge rusher?   You just got done telling us the Bills had 44 sackes and 54 led the league.   What did those 54 sacks get the Steelers?   It's really easy to imagine a team that gets 44 sacks again this year and gets good pressure from the line - there are no weak links on the line, and winning big.   I just don't see why the Bills have to get 10 more sacks to win the Super Bowl.  KC won the Super Bowl last year with 45 sacks, so won't it be enough if the Bills get just one more?

Fair points Shaw.

The reason I think we need to have two legit RBs is that I don't trust Motor to make it through a 16 game season and a playoff run without getting dinged up at some point and missing time just like last year.  He's just 5'7' and 203 lbs.  Not the kind of frame designed to take a weakly beating.   Daboll barely used him during the first two games of the season and then he got hurt on his 6th touch in Week 3 and then was out for 3 weeks. He came back in Week 6 and only had seven rushing attempts.  Week 7 he had just three rushes and four receptions.  The most rushes he had all season in a game was 21.

I'm a big Motor fan but I'm worried about him handling a full season + playoffs work load.  I think we need a 1b to go with Singletary who is our 1a, to split the load.  Someone who has a little bit of size to him so he can also be our short yardage / goal line back.  We need another RB who is an actual threat to do some damage when he spells Singletary and doesn't just signal a passing down to the defense.  I don't think that RB is Yeldon.  Christian Wade is intriguing, but I don't think this franchise would be smart to hang its hopes on him at this point in his development.

As for an EDGE rusher, the number of sacks is just one metric.  Right now I don't think we have an edge rusher that the other team needs to really game plan against the way we would game plan against a Myles Garrett or Khalil Mack.  If we can put that kind of disrupter on the end of our line who dictates a constant double team, that opens up the middle for Oliver to do his thing.  If they need to double Oliver and our DE, such as Ngakoue, then they have committed four players to blocking two of ours and that will be almost impossible to do.

I'm not saying that Oliver is Aaron Donald, but imagine dropping Ngakoue next to Aaron Donald on a passing down and being the offensive linemen who have to stop those two side by side.  The Bills defense was great last year,  but imagine how much better they could be with a premier EDGE rusher lining up next to Oliver.  I think our defense could be historically great, '01 Ravens / '85 Bears great.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

16 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't believe that a backup running back will make or break a team's Superbowl chances.

Titans were doing pretty good with Henry. Anyone who has played football understands the beating you take. As the season grinds on tackling is much more painful. Derrick Henry type backs can wear a D down and change the game.

18 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I agree with you, last year's D was elite.  I think our D could be historically great with a legitimate edge rusher like Ngakoue.  The Ravens won the Super Bowl in '01 with that amazing defense and Trent Dilfer at QB.  The Ravens didn't even bring him back next year.  For better or worse, our offense is pretty much set right now for 2020 except for the RB2.  If we can put Ngakoue on this D we might not need as much out of Josh Allen and the offense. 

Defenses can win championships. The final score of Super Bowl LIII, just the year before last, was Patriots 13 --- LA Rams 3.

The Ravens did not bring Dilfer back and they did not repeat in Superbowl.  His efforts were underrated.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Fair points Shaw.

The reason I think we need to have two legit RBs is that I don't trust Motor to make it through a 16 game season and a playoff run without getting dinged up at some point and missing time just like last year.  He's just 5'7' and 203 lbs.  Not the kind of frame designed to take a weakly beating.   Daboll barely used him during the first two games of the season and then he got hurt on his 6th touch in Week 3 and then was out for 3 weeks. He came back in Week 6 and only had seven rushing attempts.  Week 7 he had just three rushes and four receptions.  The most rushes he had all season in a game was 21.

I'm a big Motor fan but I'm worried about him handling a full season + playoffs work load.  I think we need a 1b to go with Singletary who is our 1a, to split the load.  Someone who has a little bit of size to him so he can also be our short yardage / goal line back.  We need another RB who is an actual threat to do some damage when he spells Singletary and doesn't just signal a passing down to the defense.  I don't think that RB is Yeldon.  Christian Wade is intriguing, but I don't think this franchise would be smart to hang its hopes on him at this point in his development.

As for an EDGE rusher, the number of sacks is just one metric.  Right now I don't think we have an edge rusher that the other team needs to really game plan against the way we would game plan against a Myles Garrett or Khalil Mack.  If we can put that kind of disrupter on the end of our line who dictates a constant double team, that opens up the middle for Oliver to do his thing.  If they need to double Oliver and our DE, such as Ngakoue, then they have committed four players to blocking two of ours and that will be almost impossible to do.

I'm not saying that Oliver is Aaron Donald, but imagine dropping Ngakoue next to Aaron Donald on a passing down and being the offensive linemen who have to stop those two side by side.  The Bills defense was great last year,  but imagine how much better they could be with a premier EDGE rusher lining up next to Oliver.  I think our defense could be historically great, '01 Ravens / '85 Bears great.

Thanks for the response

I get what you're saying about rb, and I agree.  I just think it could be done by committee or with any warm body.  

Edge I don't agree.  McD wants four guys who can stop he run and have some success getting to the qb.  There only are one or two Garretts or Macks, and Mcd's model is designed so he doesn't need a star to make it work.   McD wants guys like Lawson, with good size good speed and who are good athletes, but with better work ethic. 

So I don't think you're gonna get a star on the edge, except by accident.  You're gonna get lunchpail guys, and McD knows he can win with them. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think a lot of bills fans are forgetting how terrible Daboll was last season

he was a big reason why our offense was so bad. He constantly put Allen in terrible positions, forcing him to throw 49 times in his first playoff game on the road for example. 

he has to also make a massive jump and become a much better play caller 

19 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I believe the Bills are just three pieces away from being a serious Super Bowl contender.  One of those pieces is already on the roster, one should not be too hard to come by, and the final piece will cost a pretty penny.

The first piece is a QB who is able to lead an offense that can score an average of 24 points a week.  Last season the Bills averaged 19.6.  The top six offenses last season were Ravens 33.2, San Fran 29.9,  Saints 28.6, Bucs 28.6, Chiefs 28.2, and Dallas 27.2 points per game.  Obviously averaging 28 points a week from Josh Allen and Co. would be even better, but I think that with our defense coming back essentially intact, we can probably be in every game if the offense can just score 24 points. 

Josh Allen needs to take another step and with another year in the League and in this offense, with O-Line stability and more playmakers, the table is set for him to play much better.  He wasn't a turn over machine last year, far from it, he had 9 INTs and 4 lost fumbles for a very respectable 13 turnovers during the regular season.  A QB averaging less than one turn over a game is solid.  Allen protects the ball, now he needs to start putting some more points on the board.

The second piece is a solid backfield compliment to Singletary.  Whoever they are is not on the roster yet.  The RB back position is the one position that a rookie can step in from the college ranks and make a difference.  That may be the way to go because the free agent RB market is drying up fast.  Devonta Freeman, Lamar Miller, and Chris Thompson are probably the three best still out there.  Not very inspiring.  That is why I think the Bills go best RB on the board with their pick in the 2nd or 3rd round like J.K. Dobbins out of Ohio State or A.J. Dillon out of Boston College who is a bruiser at 6'0' and 247 lbs.  Our own version of a thunder and lightning with him and Motor in the backfield.  A second RB is still a big hole on this roster and it needs to be addressed if we are going to contend for a championship

The third piece is an honest to god EDGE rushing beast who can consistently get after the QB.  This is going to be the expensive part.  The Bills finished 12th in the League last year with 44 sacks.  For reference, the top squad was Pittsburgh with 54.  Watching our defense last year swarm the ball, repeatedly bend but not break, and only give up an incredible 16.2 points per game (behind only the Pats at 14.1), I think many would be happy to just stand pat where we are and that would be a reasonable argument, but I would disagree.  We are trying to beat out 31 other teams to the championship.  We are in a two year window with Allen on his rookie contract and a wide open division.  We need to strike now.

I think adding Yannick Ngakoue from the Jags would be the final piece of the puzzle.  It would be expensive and would almost certainly cost us next year's first and eat up a bunch of our remaining cap space this year.  Would Clowney on a 1 year "prove it" deal be a reasonable, less expensive option?  Maybe.  I'd rather go with Ngakoue who by all accounts seems more like a "Process" guy than Clowney.   Ngakoue is only 25 and Clowney is 27 with more of an injury history.  

We are not going to draft a rookie EDGE in the 2nd round this year who is going to be an immediate difference maker.  I don't think that anyone we would add with a late 1st round pick next year would have the kind of impact that Ngakoue would.  More to the point, that 1st round pick in next year's draft doesn't help us at all this year when we have a real chance to make a run. Putting a beast like Ngakoue on this defense right now would create the scariest defense in the NFL and would make life very tough on Lamar Jackson and Mahomes who we need to get past to get to the Super Bowl.  Having a stronger defense would provide Allen and the offense with an even bigger cushion this year. 

I think now is the time to make these moves. (1) Allen takes a step,  (2) grab a solid RB2,  (3) make a deal for Ngakoue, and the Buffalo Bills will be true contenders for the AFC crown and a Super Bowl berth.  It's time for Beane to push his chips into the middle of the table.

Too bad “we have too many holes to fill” with one NFL draft!

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

Titans were doing pretty good with Henry. Anyone who has played football understands the beating you take. As the season grinds on tackling is much more painful. Derrick Henry type backs can wear a D down and change the game.

I agree. But adding another running back does not, to me, change the chances of this team making and winning a Superbowl. There are far more impactful things, such as Josh Allen having a break out year, for example.

I do really think we need another running back. I just don't think it's the difference between our team winning the big game. Getting an elite edge rusher, improving the oline, and the progression of Josh Allen are the keys to such a thing, not a 2nd running back.

Edited by MJS

I think the upcoming schedule will make it tough to get a high playoff seed, so Super Bowl aspirations are a bit premature. The Chiefs and Ravens are the measuring stick for the offense.

Again, the development of Allen is absolutely everything! After Allen, the Bills need:

1. A young top 10 pass rusher

2. A solution at RT

3. A 2nd RB as a a safety net catching out of the backfield or a powerback

4. Solidify a #2 corner

5. A 3rd linebacker who consistently tackles well.

Reasonable Solutions

1. Not an easy fix right now

2. D. Williams (RT Carolina)

3. Draft (rounds 2-4)

4. Not an easy fix right now

5. Draft or Development of Vosean Joseph

21 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

A #1 TE who can be trusted to catch the ball in all situations would get the Bills closer to the Super Bowl than a backup RB

IMO

Love the new avatar. Knox showed thrilling capabilities as a rookie. He’ll be better catching the ball or be a footnote in the teams historically lethargic use of TEs. Hoping for the former..

21 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Given the moves made so far and presuming they add solid players in rounds 2-4 in  the draft here are my 3 pieces:

1. If Allen plays the same as last year, playoffs and maybe 1 playoff win

2. If Allen make that "next step" in his development they win the division and 1-2 playoff games

3. If Allen takes a quantum leap (which happens between years 2-3) they are a Super Bowl contender

2 IS 3. 1-2 playoff games IS a title contender.

17 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I respectfully disagree.

We comfortably won our way into the playoffs on that schedule.  We could have won more games but McDermott played conservatively, knowing we had 10+ wins in the bag.  Example: second Patriots game.  We could have won that game, but NE just wanted the win more.  I even think we would have taken more risks and possibly won earlier games if we had a tougher schedule ahead, example Cleveland game.  We won the games we had to win, which mostly weren't that hard, and the rest we were willing to let ride rather than take a big risk on Allen getting hurt again or making an embarrassing mistake.  The Baltimore game is another example of a game we lost because the other side just seemed to want it more.

My first point being:  we didn't need the creampuff schedule last year to make the playoffs.

My second point now: that creampuff schedule HURT us in the playoffs.  Playing tough teams all year is great training for the playoffs.  Playing easy teams is negative training for the playoffs.  I think we were honestly surprised how hard that first game was, after mostly easy games all year.  

I hope this year's schedule is more challenging, as we need the hard play and we need to have some HUNGER going in to the playoffs.  We need to get used to taking risks to win games because we wont win the playoffs with a conservative game plan.  With all due respect to Marv, we have to take a page from BB and learn to approach each and every game as a "must win", and a tougher schedule will force us to do that.

Tip-O-the cap for the respect. Backatcha.

I think you’re glossing over last season’s wins as just a number to improve on. A closer look reveals how very iffy most of our wins were, especially when considering they were against 4 guys starting in their 1st season at QB (2 were 1st ever games), ending the careers of 3 QBs whose time had come and gone (Manning, Dalton, Mariotta) and all this while 5 road games were played in NY (2), PA, MA & OH. That’s 12 regular season games with only 1 game that isn’t or doesn’t border NYS (barely). 

Against the clusterfart that is the Jets, we required an epic comeback, scoring the last 17 points to win the opener by 1, then LOST TO THEM AT HOME. Needed additional comebacks @ the lowly NYG and home games vs. the even worse Bengals & Dolphins. We were YET AGAIN SWEPT by the Patriots* and have added yet another dubious distinction of being the very last team Tom Brady beat as a member of the Pats* -Yea US!? We played just 3 playoff teams (4 total games) losing all 4. 

Ahead, 10’s of thousands of miles traveling (possibly including out of Country), have 6 playoff teams scheduled along with 2 other loaded teams who missed the dance last year after consistent appearances (Rams & Steelers).

For all the thrills the team gave us, including a nail biting playoff loss, we didn’t kick anyone’s arses while routinely barely escaping scrub teams. There’ll be no sneaking up on anybody this year as we’re widely considered the favorite now in the Division have garnered some respect League-wide.

Certainly, you can argue ‘but we Did win those cream puff games!’, but what if these mostly poor performances were instead against the teams we’ll face in 2020? Would we still win? Granted, 10 wins is 10 wins. You are what your record says you are. I think we need to see it again against this years opponents to be sure.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Wizard said:

I think the upcoming schedule will make it tough to get a high playoff seed, so Super Bowl aspirations are a bit premature. The Chiefs and Ravens are the measuring stick for the offense.

Again, the development of Allen is absolutely everything! After Allen, the Bills need:

1. A young top 10 pass rusher

2. A solution at RT

3. A 2nd RB as a a safety net catching out of the backfield or a powerback

4. Solidify a #2 corner

5. A 3rd linebacker who consistently tackles well.

Reasonable Solutions

1. Not an easy fix right now

2. D. Williams (RT Carolina)

3. Draft (rounds 2-4)

4. Not an easy fix right now

5. Draft or Development of Vosean Joseph

By  "A young top 10 pass rusher", I think you mean someone who ranks as in the top 10 in the NFL, rather than one of the top 10 DE's drafted this year.  We pick a #54 now. We are not going to get that guy this year in the draft. (Okay, there is a 5-10% chance DE #10 might be that guy in 2-3 years).

9 hours ago, MJS said:

I agree. But adding another running back does not, to me, change the chances of this team making and winning a Superbowl. There are far more impactful things, such as Josh Allen having a break out year, for example.

I do really think we need another running back. I just don't think it's the difference between our team winning the big game. Getting an elite edge rusher, improving the oline, and the progression of Josh Allen are the keys to such a thing, not a 2nd running back.

Imagine the Bills during their 4 Super Bowl run without Thurman Thomas. We definitely need better play at the QB position to take the next step and an edge rusher will help also. When November hits and teams are beginning to have wear and tear, a big back can make a huge difference. Anyways, good conversation lets hope for a great year ?

On 3/25/2020 at 11:16 AM, John from Riverside said:

So I’m not disagreeing with one and two

our defense was super bowl caliber last year 

offense needs to be consistently better next year

Our defense in 2019 was solid but not spectacular (meaning not super bowl caliber). 

We had trouble stopping the run  against big running backs.  We stopped getting turnovers and did not give the offense short fields  (like Baltimore and KC Defense did). 

Both Offense and Defense need to improve overall next year to be super bowl bound

6 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I think they have the pieces.

they just have one obstacle- the chiefs 

The Raiders are disfunctional.  th chargers are rebuilding.  The Broncos are loaded on  defense and the run game with a young promising QB.  The AFC West will be a two-horse race.   The bills in spite of what the pundits are saying will have a tougher road through the AFC East.  Additionally the Bills have to play both the NFC West and AFC West.  

Honestly, I am not worried about RB.  If anyone goes back and watches when Yeldon was on the field, he was better than people think when given opportunities.  I think him operating as a 3rd down receiving back could be a nice compliment to Singletary.  

Plus, I am fairly confident we will be drafting a RB this year with one of our first 3 picks and there are some very intriguing guys they can land.  

The key to us contending for the Super Bowl really lays at Josh Allen's feet right now.  This roster is talented enough right now even before the draft to make a serious run if Josh Allen continues progressing like he has thus far.  And I personally believe he will.  

I think we are a little better at EDGE this year than last year as I think Addison and Jefferson are an upgrade over Shaq.  Plus it cant be overlooked the value of getting Harry back inside the DL, he was our best DT prior to getting hurt last year.  Him and Butler will more than make up for the loss of Phillips IMO, especially withOliver set to take an even bigger roll himself.  That doesnt mean we cant still get better at EDGE of course, landing Yannick would be incredible, but I don't think its something I would say is a "missing piece" which would suggest we cant get there without him or someone like him.  

I think Diggs is going to have a substantial impact across the offense.  Diggs presence not only makes Brown and Cole's jobs easier, but I think we are going to see a breakout season from Knox as a result.  I mean we are going to be a nightmare to cover.  

• You got major down field threats at both wideout spots who are also good everywhere on the field.  
  • You got a break your ankles type slot receiver in Cole underneath.  
  • You got a big athletic TE in Knox stretching the middle and still have a tower of a TE in Kroft who is now healthy and a promising other young TE in Sweeney who can all put pressure over the middle of the field.  
  • We have a RB who just averaged 5.1 ypc playing in bottom third passing attack.  Now we are going to elevate the passing game even more which should make Devin more dangerous.  And you still need to account for our RB's out of the backfield too as receivers.
  • Now after all of that...you got a QB you need to absolutely spy or he will torch you with his legs.  And you better play tight coverage because that same QB can get the ball anywhere on the field in a flick of his wrist before you can close and also do so while on the run.  

Someone said it already...I think its more about the development of our guys here on the roster now and how fast they all gel together more than anything.  If this team, even before we enter the draft, can gel over the first half of the season and find their groove, we absolutely have a shot at making a deep post season run and even a SB run.  And the main cog will of course be Josh continuing to improve the way he has so far.  And I personally have all the confidence in the world in him improving again.  

Edited by Alphadawg7