Bills are 3 pieces away from Super Bowl

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I don't believe that a backup running back will make or break a team's Superbowl chances.

Even Derrick Henry needs a breather, and any RB can get hurt.  Two starting RBs is better than 1, and the Bills can afford somebody like Carlos Hyde.  The combo of Kamara and Ingram in NO in 2018 propelled the Saints into the playoffs by allowing them to be the best ball control team in the fouth quarter.  They lost Ingram and weren't nearly as effective late in games in 2019.  The Bills lack of a better RB than Frank Goe to spell Singletary certainly made it harder to run the ball effectively late in games, including in the playoff loss to Houston.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I may not have posted it on this board, but I've told others that the 24 ppg mark as an offense is my benchmark.  I have no concerns whatsoever about the defense provided there are no catastrophic injuries.

If the Bills can average at least 24 ppg this season they will win 12.  The Bills are now capable of putting out 11 personnel that rivals anything in the league -- and that's Daboll's favorite personnel grouping.  When (not if) Josh shows he has continued to develop, this offense will take off.

• Like (+1) 1

I think this team is good enough right now but it entirely hinges on Josh Allen taking that next step. The pieces around him are more then good enough. We are going to go, as Josh goes. The Defense is the backbone of the team and is excellent. I’m expecting that to continue. The special teams got better and was solid. The offense...I know it sounds minor but Gore killed us last year. I mentioned it literally every week. He was probably the single worst player on the team and quite possibly the single worst player in the league that got significant touches. Him being gone is huge. If we used Yeldon as the 2 last year, we might have advanced. This team is ready. It’s up to the QB to continue to grow and it’s going to be a lot of fun. 

I agree with one and two, and don't disagree with three--but not sure your solution is the way to go. I would not be disappointed to get him, but I think the FA pickups we already have upgraded that position.

Edited by CSBill

A little trivia here...

Who had more sacks in 2019: Ngakoue or Addison?

How about in 2018?

How about over the last 4 years, the time from which Ngakoue entered the league?

I agree about Josh taking a step and adding a home run threat in the backfield (like my boy Darrynton Evans), but I think they checked the vet pass rusher box already.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

We lost ;

Zo Alexander   OLB

Jordan Phillips  DT

Shaq Lawson   DE

Kevin Johnson   CB

We added;

Mario Addison  OLB

Vernon Butler   DT

Quinton Jefferson  DE

Josh Norman  CB

AJ Klein OLB

Tyler Matakevich  ILB

We will also get Harrison Phillips back at DT

We did lose some pieces on D, but I think we added some decent replacements, even possible upgrades at those positions.  Some of them have played in McDermott's system before.  I still think our D will be solid this year.

This.  And of the people we lost.  

1.   Zo.  Much loved.  Great story.  Terribly overrated as a bill. 

2.   Decent player.  Got some sacks.  Harrison Phillip's is better all around player. 

3.  See above.  Jefferson a better player. 

4.  Johnson was a stop gap at best.  Norman and a rookie feels much better. 

Not to mention another year under Edmund's and oliver. 

Given the moves made so far and presuming they add solid players in rounds 2-4 in  the draft here are my 3 pieces:

1. If Allen plays the same as last year, playoffs and maybe 1 playoff win

2. If Allen make that "next step" in his development they win the division and 1-2 playoff games

3. If Allen takes a quantum leap (which happens between years 2-3) they are a Super Bowl contender

• Like (+1) 1

I believe edge rusher is important in the NFL. However Sean and Leslie get the most out of their players. I don’t see a big trade or signing at this position coming. 
Some players will improve from last season. Levi and Johnson are two important players to watch.

Josh is of course the focus of the offense and entire team. If he continues on the same trajectory he will be productive at the level to get this offense to that mid 20’s average score a game.
another dynamic running back is for sure needed. If Singletary got hurt the offense would be more pass reliant and using Josh’s legs to move the ball more, I don’t want that. Need another RB to SHARE carries.

Diggs need to become part of the offense. We have heard from multiple players that Daboll’s offense isn’t easy to learn. I hope Diggs can pick it up quick and develop chemistry with Josh.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

2 out 3 aint bad

correct - maturity and accuracy improvement from our qb; reads, throwing WRs open, more loft than thrust on those deep balls, touc-accuracy on the short-intermediate throws; Diggs is going to help here as well...

RB - yep - waiting for the vet RBs to drop their price, the market is telling them so, its just a matter of time as to which ?  Miller (ACL tear last Aug, has two 1000+ seasons; Donta Freeman is avail as well, not sure about the lesser names...enlighten me with your sleeper choice

DE-DL - disagree, here we are done and we are better, lots of solid talent and depth, expect better overall run defense from the interior, and better pressures from Addison off the edge compared to the guys that left, trust the process is in phase 3 or 4.  plus I would rather save the draft assets and salary cap cash for extensions for Dawkins, Milano and Trey coming up....

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I believe the Bills are just three pieces away from being a serious Super Bowl contender.  One of those pieces is already on the roster, one should not be too hard to come by, and the final piece will cost a pretty penny.

The first piece is a QB who is able to lead an offense that can score an average of 24 points a week.  Last season the Bills averaged 19.6.  The top six offenses last season were Ravens 33.2, San Fran 29.9,  Saints 28.6, Bucs 28.6, Chiefs 28.2, and Dallas 27.2 points per game.  Obviously averaging 28 points a week from Josh Allen and Co. would be even better, but I think that with our defense coming back essentially intact, we can probably be in every game if the offense can just score 24 points. 

Josh Allen needs to take another step and with another year in the League and in this offense, with O-Line stability and more playmakers, the table is set for him to play much better.  He wasn't a turn over machine last year, far from it, he had 9 INTs and 4 lost fumbles for a very respectable 13 turnovers during the regular season.  A QB averaging less than one turn over a game is solid.  Allen protects the ball, now he needs to start putting some more points on the board.

The second piece is a solid backfield compliment to Singletary.  Whoever they are is not on the roster yet.  The RB back position is the one position that a rookie can step in from the college ranks and make a difference.  That may be the way to go because the free agent RB market is drying up fast.  Devonta Freeman, Lamar Miller, and Chris Thompson are probably the three best still out there.  Not very inspiring.  That is why I think the Bills go best RB on the board with their pick in the 2nd or 3rd round like J.K. Dobbins out of Ohio State or A.J. Dillon out of Boston College who is a bruiser at 6'0' and 247 lbs.  Our own version of a thunder and lightning with him and Motor in the backfield.  A second RB is still a big hole on this roster and it needs to be addressed if we are going to contend for a championship

The third piece is an honest to god EDGE rushing beast who can consistently get after the QB.  This is going to be the expensive part.  The Bills finished 12th in the League last year with 44 sacks.  For reference, the top squad was Pittsburgh with 54.  Watching our defense last year swarm the ball, repeatedly bend but not break, and only give up an incredible 16.2 points per game (behind only the Pats at 14.1), I think many would be happy to just stand pat where we are and that would be a reasonable argument, but I would disagree.  We are trying to beat out 31 other teams to the championship.  We are in a two year window with Allen on his rookie contract and a wide open division.  We need to strike now.

I think adding Yannick Ngakoue from the Jags would be the final piece of the puzzle.  It would be expensive and would almost certainly cost us next year's first and eat up a bunch of our remaining cap space this year.  Would Clowney on a 1 year "prove it" deal be a reasonable, less expensive option?  Maybe.  I'd rather go with Ngakoue who by all accounts seems more like a "Process" guy than Clowney.   Ngakoue is only 25 and Clowney is 27 with more of an injury history.  

We are not going to draft a rookie EDGE in the 2nd round this year who is going to be an immediate difference maker.  I don't think that anyone we would add with a late 1st round pick next year would have the kind of impact that Ngakoue would.  More to the point, that 1st round pick in next year's draft doesn't help us at all this year when we have a real chance to make a run. Putting a beast like Ngakoue on this defense right now would create the scariest defense in the NFL and would make life very tough on Lamar Jackson and Mahomes who we need to get past to get to the Super Bowl.  Having a stronger defense would provide Allen and the offense with an even bigger cushion this year. 

I think now is the time to make these moves. (1) Allen takes a step,  (2) grab a solid RB2,  (3) make a deal for Ngakoue, and the Buffalo Bills will be true contenders for the AFC crown and a Super Bowl berth.  It's time for Beane to push his chips into the middle of the table.

Allen is the QB, McCaffrey is the RB, JJ Watt or Joey Bosa is the DE

Better play from Josh and the rest should fall in place. 

I would agree with the OP. Another solid RB on offense and a good edge rusher would go a long way. 

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

A little trivia here...

How about in 2018?

How about over the last 4 years, the time from which Ngakoue entered the league?

I agree about Josh taking a step and adding a home run threat in the backfield (like my boy Darrynton Evans), but I think they checked the vet pass rusher box already.

Not sure of season stats but in last few years Addison has more sacks total

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

A little trivia here...

How about in 2018?

Meh. We will see.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Don’t be ageist bruh ?

I will remind you of this when Addison and his arthritic knees are plodding his way around an offensive tackle next season. The way we use the word "vet" or "veteran" in sport in the UK is very different to the way you guys use it. We use it for really old dudes. In this case the Bills got a veteran edge rusher...... but he is a vet in the British sense of the word. :D

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So I’m not disagreeing with one and two

our defense was super bowl caliber last year 

offense needs to be consistently better next year

On the topics of #1 and #3.....Allen can and  will be better imho.  However, Daboll has to be better also...he had a few wierd brain cramp calls last year in critical situations...he needs to do better  and avoid crazy gadget stuff when what is working should be  continued.

• Like (+1) 2