Bills Among Favorites Says Ravens Beat Guy/Columnist

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

I defer to Mark Twain on this issue: ""There are lies, damned lies and statistics." . . . Jackson stats as a passer defy his reality as a passer.

Jackson has had better stats as a passer than Allen since high school and did in college in the ACC while Allen was a 56% in the MWC.  But clearly Allen is a better passer and all of Jackson’s numbers don’t count.  Just like his Heisman and MVP. Clearly, Allen is the better passer and qb . Excellent point. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jackson has had better stats as a passer than Allen since high school and did in college in the ACC while Allen was a 56% in the MWC.  But clearly Allen is a better passer and all of Jackson’s numbers don’t count.  Just like his Heisman and MVP. Clearly, Allen is the better passer and qb . Excellent point. 

To quote a former Bills Coach, "Obviously!"

15 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Funny that a non-Bills fan is higher on the Bills than most Bills fans.

It's almost reflexive at this point after such a generational-length franchise morass. However, I honestly can't come up with a better suited coaching/FO combo to reverse this than what we have now--2/3 playoff caliber years with even more justified optimism of what's to come? Sign me up.    

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Jackson was third in the league in passer rating. If Allen had been third, the Bills would have won the Super Bowl.  Hard to say Allen is the better passer. 

Jackson and Allen have nearly identical  stats from last year:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/table/passing/sort/passingYards/dir/desc

With the biggest difference coming in the scheme that was built around Jackson to give him easy throws to TEs. Whereas Allen has been running a more traditional, pure-passing Offense taken from the Patriots.

I'd say our QB situations are about equal, but for different reasons.

I have to say, as ***** as this whole virus thing is, I was thinking it kind of freezes everything in place, and who knows for how long...so teams that were good last year and return much of their roster (ahem) I'd think have a big leg up over any team that sucked last year and had major turnover or have to start over at QB. Basically, if there's no training camps or they are shortened...continuity becomes an even bigger advantage than normal I'd think.

Of course the season is so long most teams will usually find their footing somewhere. But I sure like bringing a "built" and ready team into next year.

And of course, I want this virus crap to be over with ASAP.

Edited by Golden*Wheels

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Jackson and Allen have nearly identical  stats from last year:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/table/passing/sort/passingYards/dir/desc

With the biggest difference coming in the scheme that was built around Jackson to give him easy throws to TEs. Whereas Allen has been running a more traditional, pure-passing Offense taken from the Patriots.

I'd say our QB situations are about equal, but for different reasons.

I don’t get this Dr.  Jackson had 16 more td passes.  He completed 66% of his passes (Allen was 58.8%) at a higher YPA (7.8 compared to 6.7).  Also, Jackson had better passing numbers in college (what good Louisville receivers did have that are in the nfl) than Allen while playing against much harder competition.  How can anyone say Allen is a better passer at this point?  There is zero evidence of this.  And it’s not knocking Allen.  But it’s question why so many people don’t give Jackson more credit. 

also, shouldn’t every team want to give their qb easy passes to complete?  It would be pretty dumb not to.  Maybe the Bills should borrow some concepts from the Ravens who had a much superior offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Meatloaf63 said:

It’s all in the game they are asked to execute and the players that surround them. How well did Jackson’s passing game help him in the playoffs? 

I've always said Lamar's running athleticism is off the charts. But it wouldn't surprise me to see a gradual decrease in pocket proficiency from him over the years. Josh's qbr may never avg 100 over the years but with our defense we can still win a SB with him in the 90's. But basically the writer is right. The Bills will be scary good in the next 2-3 years. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I don’t get this Dr.  Jackson had 16 more td passes.  He completed 66% of his passes (Allen was 58.8%) at a higher YPA (7.8 compared to 6.7).  Also, Jackson had better passing numbers in college (what good Louisville receivers did have that are in the nfl) than Allen while playing against much harder competition.  How can anyone say Allen is a better passer at this point?  There is zero evidence of this.  And it’s not knocking Allen.  But it’s question why so many people don’t give Jackson more credit. 

also, shouldn’t every team want to give their qb easy passes to complete?  It would be pretty dumb not to.  Maybe the Bills should borrow some concepts from the Ravens who had a much superior offense. 

Jackson may very well be able to step into a Patriots offense, or a Gruden offense, or a WC offense, and sling the ball all over the field. Maybe. But we dont know because he hasnt been asked to do it. Instead, he's been in a customized, Greg Roman, run-first, make short check down passes to TEs in space, offense.

I dont knock the Ravens Coaching for designing that offense. It's brilliant to be able to craft an entire scheme around a player's talents.

But that is why people dont give Jackson more credit. He isnt being asked to win with his arm. And when he's been forced to win with his arm as a "classic QB", the Ravens look incredibly vulnerable. It's a major piece of how the Titans shut them down and held the Ravens to 12 points.

I love that there is a fresh new crop of young QBs to route for, and that we have one of them, and that balance is coming back to the league. I hope Jackson continues to have success (expect when playing the Bills). But I also expect Defenses to have him more figured out this year. We'll see...

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

It's almost reflexive at this point after such a generational-length franchise morass. However, I honestly can't come up with a better suited coaching/FO combo to reverse this than what we have now--2/3 playoff caliber years with even more justified optimism of what's to come? Sign me up.    

In three years as Bills guys like Milano and Tre have spent most of their career in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Jackson may very well be able to step into a Patriots offense, or a Gruden offense, or a WC offense, and sling the ball all over the field. Maybe. But we dont know because he hasnt been asked to do it. Instead, he's been in a customized, Greg Roman, run-first, make short check down passes to TEs in space, offense.

I dont knock the Ravens Coaching for designing that offense. It's brilliant to be able to craft an entire scheme around a player's talents.

But that is why people dont give Jackson more credit. He isnt being asked to win with his arm. And when he's been forced to win with his arm as a "classic QB", the Ravens look incredibly vulnerable. It's a major piece of how the Titans shut them down and held the Ravens to 12 points.

I love that there is a fresh new crop of young QBs to route for, and that we have one of them, and that balance is coming back to the league. I hope Jackson continues to have success (expect when playing the Bills). But I also expect Defenses to have him more figured out this year. We'll see...

Allen isn’t being asked to win with his arm either.  

and the Ravens crapped the bed but I think they were in the Titans territory like 7 times and just screwed up.  It wasn’t exactly like they were completely shut down.  

19 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen isn’t being asked to win with his arm either.  

and the Ravens crapped the bed but I think they were in the Titans territory like 7 times and just screwed up.  It wasn’t exactly like they were completely shut down.  

I think Allen was asked to win with his arm much more last year than in 2018. And expect he will be asked to do even more in 2020.

WRT the bold, how did they "screw up"? And if the offense is stalling, isnt part of that likely on the QB?

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why are there such double standards here?  You know who isn’t a good pocket passer? Josh Allen.  You guys love to trash guys like Jackson and Newton and their passing abilities.  You realize they have been better passers at every level than Allen right?  Against much better competition in college, right?

and this is far from a knock against Allen because I’m comparing him to MVP and Heisman trophy winners.  But there seems like there are serious double standards here.  Allen’s best skill right now is his running ability.  Can he improve? Of course.  And so can Jackson.

and the Bills on paper have one of the best rosters in the afc.  Much tougher schedule and need Allen to take the next step.  This year will be a great test of if Allen is a franchise guy.  

Nope on being a better passer. Lots of easy yards passing on the run but the Bills and Titans gave DCs the roadmap in stopping that offense.. He's a great player, I just don't think he will be the force he was last year. Once inevitable injuries limit his mobility, his passing will not carry his game alone. 

Edited by Green Lightning