Bills Among Favorites Says Ravens Beat Guy/Columnist

I lost it when he wrote this:

One difference is that the Ravens still don’t have a legitimate No. 1 receiver, and the Bills now have Diggs. Another is the Ravens have a major advantage over Buffalo at the quarterback position with Lamar Jackson over Josh Allen. Both are young and growing.

I still think long term JA will be better than Lamar. Right now it's fair to say they have a significant advantage at QB, but in 2-3 years I think Josh will be upper echelon and Lamar will be on that second tier of guys like Phillip rivers in his prime. (not saying his style is similar at all to rivers just where he will rank among QBS)

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Jackson was third in the league in passer rating. If Allen had been third, the Bills would have won the Super Bowl.  Hard to say Allen is the better passer. 

I defer to Mark Twain on this issue: ""There are lies, damned lies and statistics." . . . Jackson stats as a passer defy his reality as a passer.

Well, he’s right.

And the running back position is going to be added to, so the Bills will probably rival the Ravens there. 
The Ravens don’t scare me at all. I look for Jackson to have a very big regression as teams have a years worth of tape and can study schemes which slowed him down. 
KC is the hurdle now. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Jackson was third in the league in passer rating. If Allen had been third, the Bills would have won the Super Bowl.  Hard to say Allen is the better passer. 

The Ravens pound the ball over and over and then surprise with a play action with not enough in coverage. Jacksons rating is inflated by big plays off of that. Teams were unable to stop them from running all year and they took good advantage(Jacksons legs are amazing and open up his passing but that doesn't make him a great passer). When a team finally did stop the run and Jackson was forced to pass, he looked like a bottom of the league passer.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I still think long term JA will be better than Lamar. Right now it's fair to say they have a significant advantage at QB, but in 2-3 years I think Josh will be upper echelon and Lamar will be on that second tier of guys like Phillip rivers in his prime. (not saying his style is similar at all to rivers just where he will rank among QBS)

Good article! Not sure how far apart Jackson and Allen are, but I can’t see Lamar really taking his game much higher. Josh Allen however still has a lot more upside IMO!

Philip Rivers has always been a riddle. At times he seems elite and 2nd tier the next. Not sure if he just needed more weapons or he wasn’t what he appeared to be! He certainly had a GREAT tight end to throw to!!!

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Funny that a non-Bills fan is higher on the Bills than most Bills fans.

Most Bills fans are very high on the Bills. I'm high on them but I'm also realistic. The schedule is tough. BUT I think the Chargers and Patriots are weaker post free agency. 

It's still a tough schedule on paper. I said before free agency the Bills could be a better team in 2020 but have a worse record.

I'll go ahead and say it here -- if you follow the NFL and you don't believe the Bills are a legitimate contender in 2020, you're really not paying much attention.  The writers who have me shaking my head are the ones who continue to predict the Pats*** will win the East or that the Fish are primary contenders.  The Pats*** have huge question marks throughout their roster and while the Fish have been active, they're still relying upon Fitzmagic (or perhaps a rookie).

The Chiefs, Ravens, Bills, and Titans are the best-positioned clubs entering this season in the AFC.  I believe Tannehill will revert back to the mean and scuttle the Titans' chances, but he brings continuity until further notice.  I also believe Lamar won't ever duplicate last season now that teams have good tape of how to slow him down (Bills, Titans).  Which leaves us with the Chiefs and Bills.

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I'll go ahead and say it here -- if you follow the NFL and you don't believe the Bills are a legitimate contender in 2020, you're really not paying much attention.  The writers who have me shaking my head are the ones who continue to predict the Pats*** will win the East or that the Fish are primary contenders.  The Pats*** have huge question marks throughout their roster and while the Fish have been active, they're still relying upon Fitzmagic (or perhaps a rookie).

The Chiefs, Ravens, Bills, and Titans are the best-positioned clubs entering this season in the AFC.  I believe Tannehill will revert back to the mean and scuttle the Titans' chances, but he brings continuity until further notice.  I also believe Lamar won't ever duplicate last season now that teams have good tape of how to slow him down (Bills, Titans).  Which leaves us with the Chiefs and Bills.

I would add the Steelers as long as Bens elbow holds up. There’s no reason that defense shouldn’t remain a top 5 unit and, IMO, they would have won 10 games last year even with just solid qb play. 

And you’re right about the reporting. You really have to consider the sources. While your regular reporters are sticking with the same lazy takes, most former players I’ve seen talk about the bills(Irvin, Spears, orvlosky, Simms, O’Hara) have said they consider them favorites in the East and actual contenders. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

Agree, except I think the Dolphins will be very good this year, minus a franchise QB. Flores is a great coach. We saw that last year.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

So true, but I think Jackson will be forced to adjust after a year of film. Between the hashes and the TE stuff up the seams will be mostly taken away, and he’ll have to grow in his game, as does Josh. A lot on the QB’s, and a lot on the coaching staffs. Hard to tell right now. 

Have to say Jackson was the better player last year. But that gaps going to narrow a ton this year.

12 hours ago, JDHillFan said:

How awesome is it that a writer from a different city lists us as amongst the AFC "Big Three"? My how times are a changin'.

39 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I would add the Steelers as long as Bens elbow holds up. There’s no reason that defense shouldn’t remain a top 5 unit and, IMO, they would have won 10 games last year even with just solid qb play.

Good point, I would refer to their defense as "predatory".

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BubbaT said:

Don't know about Klein being a "defensive lineman" or Diggs being "a big tall receiver" but the overall sentiment is appreciated

LMAO was thinking the same thing. Borderline mailed it in. Good catch.

12 hours ago, CSBill said:

Agree with almost all he writes, except this: "Another is the Ravens have a major advantage over Buffalo at the quarterback position with Lamar Jackson over Josh Allen." I question that. At this point, I would say they're about even. Jackson is a better runner, and Allen is a better passer.--but there is not much separation either way. I would say its about even right now.

They think that Jackson's a big upgrade over Josh at quarterback. I think NFL defenses are going to figure out Jackson this year he won't be anywhere near as effective. He's just not an effective pocket passer.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

They think that Jackson's a big upgrade over Josh at quarterback. I think NFL defenses are going to figure out Jackson this year he won't be anywhere near as effective. He's just not an effective pocket passer.

Why are there such double standards here?  You know who isn’t a good pocket passer? Josh Allen.  You guys love to trash guys like Jackson and Newton and their passing abilities.  You realize they have been better passers at every level than Allen right?  Against much better competition in college, right?

and this is far from a knock against Allen because I’m comparing him to MVP and Heisman trophy winners.  But there seems like there are serious double standards here.  Allen’s best skill right now is his running ability.  Can he improve? Of course.  And so can Jackson.

and the Bills on paper have one of the best rosters in the afc.  Much tougher schedule and need Allen to take the next step.  This year will be a great test of if Allen is a franchise guy.  

yea, when he said that bit about Jackson being a major advantage over Allen, my eyebrow raised a little.  

but then he goes on to say somehow that Watson is overrated, when in fact he is rated accurately.  you know who I think is overrated running his college offense lol?