Do the Patriots have a bottom 5 roster?

You guys all underestimate the 13th man (refs) and the 14th man (the league).

They have stolen data about teams, they get away with holding constantly, mugging by their CBs, and pick plays and push-offs with their WRs and TEs.

They are the only team that's made me want to quit watching football because of the sham. How they can video tape another team and not be ban the owners, coach and Tommy Hero is beyond me.

• Like (+1) 1

If we don’t sweep New England and win the AFC East this year it’ll never happen for us. Allen is a 3rd year QB, time to start showing some signs of being a dominant franchise QB. I agree that Dalton or Newton would push New England into the playoffs as a wildcard but Buffalo should be making a deep playoff push slash Super Bowl run.

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No.

Their defensive backfield is still elite and if they can keep their guys healthy their offensive line is good. 

Bottom 10, yea I could get myself there. At the moment they have the worst Quarterback room in the NFL. 

Secondary's as we well know as Bills fans is never a good situation when they are the strength of your team.  They are hurting on both lines, the receivers stink & they have one of the biggest question marks at QB.  It smells like a bottom five roster to me.  Now, the equalizer is the hoodie, if he could get this team with the losses they have had into the playoffs this year he truly is a wizard.  

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Are we looking at a bottom 5 roster? Bottom 10 at best?

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No.

Bottom 10, yea I could get myself there. At the moment they have the worst Quarterback room in the NFL. 

Make up your mind.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I always chuckle at the Pats trauma we all take in. People are like “it’s a bottom 5 roster but they’ll definitely win 10+ games playing the toughest schedule in football.” Lol

They lost 2 key LBs, their weapons are awful, OL average and have the worst QB situation in the league. This Pats team is not going to be good unless something drastic changes between now and the start of the season (ie healthy Cam goes there and is the Cam of 5 years ago). This team is like a 6 win team.  

And please, please, please, don’t give me, “but they always....” nonsense. Those teams were different from this team!! Even the Cassel team had a lot of talent. He had Welker and Moss, a strong OL, along with stars all over the defense. This team is NOTHING like that team. If you want to argue that I’m wrong do it based on THIS roster not what they’ve done in the past. Richard Seymour and Randy Moss aren’t going to be out there making plays this year.

I agree that if they go in with these two QBs it is a 6 win team. I don't agree on their OL - I like all their guys up front. The issue is keeping them healthy. Andrews obviously missed last year, and Wynn has been hurt a lot. But keep the 5 guys they have healthy I think their line is good. They need a QB though.

4 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Secondary's as we well know as Bills fans is never a good situation when they are the strength of your team.  They are hurting on both lines, the receivers stink & they have one of the biggest question marks at QB.  It smells like a bottom five roster to me.  Now, the equalizer is the hoodie, if he could get this team with the losses they have had into the playoffs this year he truly is a wizard.  

It might smell like it to you. It doesn't to me. Though I absolutely agree they have to fix the QB situation.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Manther said:

Maybe bottom 5, for sure bottom 10 roster wise.  But, BB is worth more than players.  My guess would be 8-8 to 10-6 for Pats**.  Depends who they get at QB will improve their talent and win total.  

We saw what a good coach can do for a not great roster last year with the Steelers. I mean at one point a guy named Duck was outperforming a top ten pick!

But we all know Rosen sucks

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree that if they go in with these two QBs it is a 6 win team. I don't agree on their OL - I like all their guys up front. The issue is keeping them healthy. Andrews obviously missed last year, and Wynn has been hurt a lot. But keep the 5 guys they have healthy I think their line is good. They need a QB though.

It might smell like it to you. It doesn't to me. Though I absolutely agree they have to fix the QB situation.

That’s fair on the OL but how much of the OL came from Brady? His pre-snap reads and quick throws certainly aided them. They may be okay but it isn’t going to matter if Stidham/Hoyer is back there. That’s especially true with their schedule.

3 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Same. I wonder what the odds for the division look like or if odds even exist until life begins again.

New England  +100

Bills +180

Miami +650

Jets +750

These are the most recent that I have seen but there is some variance. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

We saw what a good coach can do for a not great roster last year with the Steelers. I mean at one point a guy named Duck was outperforming a top ten pick!

But we all know Rosen sucks

If you compare that Pittsburgh team to this Pats team though that Pittsburgh team is probably better. They are better on the OL (imo), better skill players (even though they are overrated), better front 7 and an easier schedule. They won 8 games. As currently constructed this Pats team is a 6 win team (and that’s BECAUSE of BB). 

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s fair on the OL but how much of the OL came from Brady? His pre-snap reads and quick throws certainly aided them. They may be okay but it isn’t going to matter if Stidham/Hoyer is back there. That’s especially true with their schedule.

Oh for sure. I agree it is the worst QB situation in the league as it stands and unless Stidham is the next great uncovered gem 6 wins would be their ceiling. I don't think they need a great QB to be at or above .500 though. I think Dalton could win 8 or 9 games for them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you compare that Pittsburgh team to this Pats team though that Pittsburgh team is probably better. They are better on the OL (imo), better skill players (even though they are overrated), better front 7 and an easier schedule. They won 8 games. As currently constructed this Pats team is a 6 win team (and that’s BECAUSE of BB). 

Certainly better at tight end. Better at receiver? Maybe. JuJu is the best guy across the two teams but I would argue the next three best receiver across the two rosters are all on the Patriots - Edelman, Sanu and Harry. And the Pats are better at running back. Michel, White and Burkhead over Conner, Samuels and Snell for me. I don't even have that one as close.

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Absolutely not. They are a middle of the pack team, in my opinion. I could see them in the 7-9 to 9-7 crowd of teams. Their defense should still be good. It's usually good even when people used to think it would suck, because Belichick is a defensive coach and coaches and schemes them up.

Their offense will probably be bad. But the Bills have had a bad offense the past few years and still managed to make the playoffs twice because of our defense.

Expect the Patriots to completely switch to their power running game this season. Most defenses are not designed to defend that as the passing game is so prominent in today's NFL. It will be old school football for them.

Jimmy G barely played for the Patriots.

This is something not much considered when rating all-time great RBs.  It was harder for backs to get yards (ypc) in Jim Brown's and still in OJ's day because defenses were designed to stop the run. 

It's different now.  Defenses are built to stop the pass first.   LBs used to be big and tough - think Dick Butkus.  Now they're quick and agile.  A team team w/o a good QB would be well served by a power running game.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats go that route.  

I certainly don't expect a losing record from any Belichick coached team.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

Bottom 10, easy.  Possibly bottom 5.

Problem is Belichick. Dude doesn't have enough sense or courtesy to suck, even when common sense says he should. Even with a bottom-5 roster, I wouldn't put it past him to whip the Pats to 8 wins. Maybe more. 

• Like (+1) 1

They look like what they are. An aging team that has lost their GOAT Qb! For now. They still have great coaching and a solid organization. Defensively they will be tough not dominant! Offensively they will be painful to watch unless they can find a decent Qb and add a couple of weapons! 

I will be tuning in as much as possible!!!

It feels like the Patriots are trying to bottom out that or they really are so cap strapped that limited in what they can do. I expect them to be competitive because BB is a master at develops D schemes to take advantage of the talents he does has/confuse the opposition yet it wouldn't shock me to see the Patriots with a losing record this coming season. 

17 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think they can afford one. They can cut a few more players but starting at $2.1 million doesn't leave room for a lot of flexibility. Dalton and Newton will get paid a lot more than that. Who else is there?

No one other than Flacco.  I looked thru NEs roster to see how much they can "restructure" to get Dalton/Newton/Winston and there is not

a lot left for them to do.  They already have restructured 5 top contracts and got a lot of other high $ players on their last year of contract.

Could BB do it?  Yes, but it would have to cut into the meat and I think he goes into the year with what he has plus a rookie QB.

48 minutes ago, wiskibreth said:

and not to be understated... offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia will retire after 36 seasons in the NFL. (still consulting at the combine).

This guy turned dudes off the street into probowl linemen.

Yep, Scar is gone along with vacancies at DC, DL and WR coaches!

BB is arguably the GOAT but he has a lot of work to do this year and he ain't getting any younger.

The OL is great (when TB is playing and Scar working his magic) but they have no depth so they better all stay healthy and they better

hope that the QB (who really knows yet) will know how to use them correctly.

NE has 2 TEs on roster Matt LaCrosse and 7th rounder Ryan Izzo.  I see a high round rookie drafted but he won't be playing with Brady.

WR is meh.  If they can piece together an O with their new QB (NEW QB IN NE) maybe Edelman (at 34 years old) can come close to duplicating

his past performances BUT if they struggle I'm hoping to see his frustration level go thru the roof.

The D will still play good but they always had Brady to get them out of any trouble so if the O is impotent how long will they perform?

They have taken some decent hits this year player wise.

Special Teams are always a hit and miss with most teams but that is another BB strong point.  How much time will he get to spend with

them with all the other challenges he has?

Tom Brady is not the QB of NE and people got to realize that he has been the catalyst of playoffs and championships.  Simply not having

him in the locker room is going to change the whole teams outlook.

Wait for the Pats* fans reactions at home games when they are not the team they use to be.

Rome wasn't built in a day and it didn't fall in a day but the NE BB/TB Empire is over.