Do the Patriots have a bottom 5 roster?

Add Cam Newton to that team with BB and my guess is Vegas would still have them as favorites to win the AFC East. 

None of us will be confident of a win over BB until the clock hits 00:00(even then many will be waiting for the defensive penalty to extend the game). It took a third QB with a broken hand for the Patriots to lose to McD. And even then it was close. We all know it is mental. The Bills have had enough talent to win more games than they have, but no matter the players, coaches, or front office this team and this city can't get over the mental hurdle of beating BB.

When they do it will feel like 1980 opening day game. 

Gostkowski is gone too.  He may have slipped last year but between AV and Gost they’ve had kicking stability since 1996.  Between that and stability displaced from Brady and our old friend, they are at an unstable time even with a relatively strong defense.  I never count out BB and he usually has a plan, so we’ll see if they have slept back.  God we all hope so.

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Add Cam Newton to that team with BB and my guess is Vegas would still have them as favorites to win the AFC East. 

None of us will be confident of a win over BB until the clock hits 00:00(even then many will be waiting for the defensive penalty to extend the game). It took a third QB with a broken hand for the Patriots to lose to McD. And even then it was close. We all know it is mental. The Bills have had enough talent to win more games than they have, but no matter the players, coaches, or front office this team and this city can't get over the mental hurdle of beating BB.

When they do it will feel like 1980 opening day game. 

That wasn't McD. It was Rex. And it wasn't close it was 16-0 and they couldn't move the ball at all with an injured 3rd string QB. 

McD is yet to beat them.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No.

Their defensive backfield is still elite and if they can keep their guys healthy their offensive line is good. 

Bottom 10, yea I could get myself there. At the moment they have the worst Quarterback room in the NFL. 

Press conferences with BB should be interesting this year......he got away with a lot from the press because the patriots were winning

Losing Collins the first time didn't affect them.

Their D got BETTER after losing Trey Flowers last year.

To say nothing of Seymour, Milloy, Gronk, Welker, Chandler Jones...UGH. So depressing.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No.

Their defensive backfield is still elite and if they can keep their guys healthy their offensive line is good. 

Bottom 10, yea I could get myself there. At the moment they have the worst Quarterback room in the NFL. 

worst qb room in the league really caps how high you can get. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think they do. We’ve kind of belabored the point in threads, but there really is going to be a distinct advantage to teams having low turnover going into this season, we have three starters changing in offense and defense ( 4 if you count nickel, and two of those are familiar to McDermott). The Pats can’t say the same.

The Pats probably have an avg. to slightly below avg roster, with a totally unproven QB, and a superb HC.

If there goal isn't to tank this year, which I haven't totally ruled out, I could still see them winning 9-10 games and competing for AFC East division winner.

I think people are overlooking Bill B's ability to develop QB's.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Estro said:

The Pats probably have an avg. to slightly below avg roster, with a totally unproven QB, and a superb HC.

If there goal isn't to tank this year, which I haven't totally ruled out, I could still see them winning 9-10 games and competing for AFC East division winner.

I think people are overlooking Bill B's ability to develop QB's.

Only 2 Cheaters' QB's have done much of note: Brady and Jimmy G.  The rest are a handful of backup QB's and a majority of guys he failed to develop.

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This is a big factor in my ranking. Like do you take the Patriots roster right now, or the Bengals roster with Joe Burrow? When I try to come up with definitively worse rosters I think of the Jaguars, Redskins, Bengals, Raiders, Lions. Maybe the Jets and Dolphins? And I'm not 100% certain on any of those. Add Burrow and Chase Young to the Bengals and Redskins, it's possibly a different conversation.

Dolphins no they proved it last year when game was important to New England.

And they still have best Director of Spying in the league.  Probably best in all sports.

BB has won with 3 different QBs now. Who thought Jimmy G was going to do so well? They will find a way to push the rules to their breaking point with a different attack. I wish I had a dollar for every time the Pats OL gets a holding call. I'd have a whopping $10, I think.

Absolutely not. They are a middle of the pack team, in my opinion. I could see them in the 7-9 to 9-7 crowd of teams. Their defense should still be good. It's usually good even when people used to think it would suck, because Belichick is a defensive coach and coaches and schemes them up.

Their offense will probably be bad. But the Bills have had a bad offense the past few years and still managed to make the playoffs twice because of our defense.

Expect the Patriots to completely switch to their power running game this season. Most defenses are not designed to defend that as the passing game is so prominent in today's NFL. It will be old school football for them.

10 minutes ago, flmike said:

BB has won with 3 different QBs now. Who thought Jimmy G was going to do so well? They will find a way to push the rules to their breaking point with a different attack. I wish I had a dollar for every time the Pats OL gets a holding call. I'd have a whopping $10, I think.

Jimmy G barely played for the Patriots.

3 hours ago, Success said:

Been waiting 20 years for this - the Bills are good. But more importantly, the Patriots are bad.

They still have BB.  That is really all they have.  They are one of the oldest teams in the league, with an unproven QB and very little talent.  They remind me of the Jauron-era Bills.

Except for the Jauron part!

I always chuckle at the Pats trauma we all take in. People are like “it’s a bottom 5 roster but they’ll definitely win 10+ games playing the toughest schedule in football.” Lol

They lost 2 key LBs, their weapons are awful, OL average and have the worst QB situation in the league. This Pats team is not going to be good unless something drastic changes between now and the start of the season (ie healthy Cam goes there and is the Cam of 5 years ago). This team is like a 6 win team.  

And please, please, please, don’t give me, “but they always....” nonsense. Those teams were different from this team!! Even the Cassel team had a lot of talent. He had Welker and Moss, a strong OL, along with stars all over the defense. This team is NOTHING like that team. If you want to argue that I’m wrong do it based on THIS roster not what they’ve done in the past. Richard Seymour and Randy Moss aren’t going to be out there making plays this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1