Do the Patriots have a bottom 5 roster?

Joe Marino talked about this a bit on today's Locked on Bills podcast.

The Patriots lost three front 7 starters in Van Noy, Collins, and Shelton. They have questions on offensive line and the offensive talent. They arguably have the worst QB depth chart in the league.

And help isn't coming in free agency. They owe Brady $13.5 million in dead cap and they only have $2.1 million in available cap space.

Are we looking at a bottom 5 roster? Bottom 10 at best?

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Joe Marino talked about this a bit on today's Locked on Bills podcast.

The Patriots lost three front 7 starters in Van Noy, Collins, and Shelton. They have questions on offensive line and the offensive talent. They arguably have the worst QB depth chart in the league.

And help isn't coming in free agency. They owe Brady $13.5 million in dead cap and they only have $2.1 million in available cap space.

Are we looking at a bottom 5 roster? Bottom 10 at best?

Maybe bottom 5, for sure bottom 10 roster wise.  But, BB is worth more than players.  My guess would be 8-8 to 10-6 for Pats**.  Depends who they get at QB will improve their talent and win total.  

• Like (+1) 1

They have a top 10 defense and a top 5 special teams unit. Their O-line was banged up a lot last season, when healthy (and they retained their All-Pro guard) they are one of the top 5 or 10 O-lines in the league, they have a stable of quality RB's and a good receiving option in Eddleman. They also have Mo Sanu and their 1st round pick from 2019 as reclamation projects at WR. They are also one of the best coached teams in the league and they have 4 selections in the top 100 in the draft. I wouldn't write them off from being a competitive team. A good defense alone can win you 5 or 6 games. 

Their QB situation is ass but they might have a better system in place to foster good play out of a ***** QB. Overall I think the Pats* aren't dead until I see the steak through their heart. Secretly I hope they win 5 games so that they are bad but not Trevor Lawrence bad. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Manther said:

Maybe bottom 5, for sure bottom 10 roster wise.  But, BB is worth more than players.  My guess would be 8-8 to 10-6 for Pats**.  Depends who they get at QB will improve their talent and win total.  

Yea put Dalton on that team and with Belichick they are still at worst a .500 team. If Brian Hoyer starts they are a 6 win football team. 

• Like (+1) 1

Been waiting 20 years for this - the Bills are good. But more importantly, the Patriots are bad.

They still have BB.  That is really all they have.  They are one of the oldest teams in the league, with an unproven QB and very little talent.  They remind me of the Jauron-era Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

At the moment they have the worst Quarterback room in the NFL. 

This is a big factor in my ranking. Like do you take the Patriots roster right now, or the Bengals roster with Joe Burrow? When I try to come up with definitively worse rosters I think of the Jaguars, Redskins, Bengals, Raiders, Lions. Maybe the Jets and Dolphins? And I'm not 100% certain on any of those. Add Burrow and Chase Young to the Bengals and Redskins, it's possibly a different conversation.

Obviously Belichick is elite and can still turn them into a decent team. But until they have a legitimate starting QB their ceiling is what the Steelers did last year - and the Steelers have a much better offensive cast and better defense as it stands today. Without a QB it is legitimate to rank them in the bottom 5.

Edited by HappyDays

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

This is a big factor in my ranking. Like do you take the Patriots roster right now, or the Bengals roster with Joe Burrow? When I try to come up with definitively worse rosters I think of the Jaguars, Redskins, Bengals, Raiders, Lions. Maybe the Jets and Dolphind? And I'm not 100% certain on any of those. Add Burrow and Chase Young to the Bengals and Redskins, it's possibly a different conversation.

Obviously Belichick is elite and can still turn them into a decent team. But until they have a legitimate starting QB their ceiling is what the Steelers did last year - and the Steelers have a much better offensive cast and better defense as it stands today. Without a QB it is legitimate to rank them in the bottom 5.

I still think even without a QB bottom 5 is a little low. I'd take their roster over all those teams you mentioned and the Giants as well. Yes you can say Cincy with Burrow and Washington with Young but like I say.... give New England Andy Dalton and I think that lifts them right back into the middle of the pack conversation. If they go into the season with Hoyer and Stidham and the Bengals and Dolphins have Burrow and Tua maybe it is different. I don't see the Pats not adding at QB though.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't see the Pats not adding at QB though.  

I don't think they can afford one. They can cut a few more players but starting at $2.1 million doesn't leave room for a lot of flexibility. Dalton and Newton will get paid a lot more than that. Who else is there?

• Like (+1) 2

I’m unsure. I haven’t looked them over too much, but they are still a dangerous run team. If they run well and control the clock I think they’ll stay relevant. Obviously quarterback matters how dangerous they can be but even if they ran Hoyer out there I’d still be a little worried. Michel and White are not slouches. Edelman despite the dislike is ALWAYS open in the short range. And BB always seems to scheme a pass rush from nobodies. Add in the secondary is still top notch and they can stay in a lot of games.

I would prefer a 4-12 season from them though. 

18 minutes ago, BfloBillsFan said:

All part of the Patriot way to get Trevor Lawerence

My greatest (football) fear. 

I wonder if Billy’s ego will let them really suck, while Brady maybe makes the playoffs in Tampa? Bill is getting up there in years. Can he run a long term plan? 

Drafting is NOT Belichick’s forte. 

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No.

Their defensive backfield is still elite and if they can keep their guys healthy their offensive line is good. 

Bottom 10, yea I could get myself there. At the moment they have the worst Quarterback room in the NFL. 

I bet we see a lot more of the ‘Gilmore Glance’ this season. 
Stephon looks up at the Jumbotron trying to figure out whose fault it was that his man blew by him.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think they can afford one. They can cut a few more players but starting at $2.1 million doesn't leave room for a lot of flexibility. Dalton and Newton will get paid a lot more than that. Who else is there?

I think they can manipulate the cap. Trade for Dalton. At the moment there isn't a penny of guranteed money on his deal but there is a $17m base salary. You don't think he'd be willing to bring that way down (potentially into a single figure cap hit) for the Pats to guarantee him $20m over the next 2 years and pay him a chunk of that now up front in a signing bonus? That is the way to do it.