Breshad Perriman to Jets

Just now, Gugny said:

Jets asked for it when they hired Gase.

Agreed. I have been on the Gase sucks train since before it was cool. I said he sucked when people were lauding him an offensive whizz kid for agreeing to call the plays Peyton Manning was calling.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

Others have already responded but Anderson is a better player than Perriman.

And as for surrounding their QB with talent...the Jets gave Darnold Anderson, Crowder, Bell...if people start claiming Darnold "hasn't been given a chance" to explain why Allen is having more success I'm going to call b.s.

Perriman had 100 less yards and 2 more tds in 2 less games than Anderson.  BP had been a huge bust and had terrible hands.  But he was really good down the stretch for the Bucs and is blessed with a lot of God given talent.  His upside could be higher than Anderson if he can catch the ball, which has been a problem. 

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed. I have been on the Gase sucks train since before it was cool. I said he sucked when people were lauding him an offensive whizz kid for agreeing to call the plays Peyton Manning was calling.

It takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong, and since I am so rarely wrong and I’m a big man, I’ll admit I thought Gase would be fine.  All he had to do was develop Darnold and he would be fine.  I underestimated how much of a weirdo he is. 

that said, I think it would be dumb to overlook the Jets.  They had a terrible start to the season losing their qb and MLB and finished well.  He needs to cut down on the picks but SD showed some big flashes down the stretch.  

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Gugny said:

And Gase/Douglas didn’t draft Darnold so the level of investment in his success just wont be the same. They aren’t tied to him, they inherited him. Similar situation in Cleveland. 

23 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Perriman had 100 less yards and 2 more tds in 2 less games than Anderson.  BP had been a huge bust and had terrible hands.  But he was really good down the stretch for the Bucs and is blessed with a lot of God given talent.  His upside could be higher than Anderson if he can catch the ball, which has been a problem. 

It takes a big man to admit when he’s wrong, and since I am so rarely wrong and I’m a big man, I’ll admit I thought Gase would be fine.  All he had to do was develop Darnold and he would be fine.  I underestimated how much of a weirdo he is. 

that said, I think it would be dumb to overlook the Jets.  They had a terrible start to the season losing their qb and MLB and finished well.  He needs to cut down on the picks but SD showed some big flashes down the stretch.  

Their defense isn't terrible.  They also really haven't improved at all and im not a big fan of their coaching staff.  

We both had the luxury of an easier schedule a year ago.  They just had a horribly inefficient offense.  They had 3 weeks in a row where they scored 34 points.  They followed that up with 6 against the bengals.  They lost midseason to miami and got beat down by the jags.  

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

...and are asking for it again this year by sticking with him.

The Jest are always woefully and slowly reactive, never proactive. We'll see if Joe Douglas makes a difference in that toxic environment with a bad owner(s). FWIW, the talking heads in the NYC area are all pretty much in lockstep in saying that that the Jest are targeting whichever one of the top OL is available when they pick at #11 and not a WR. That is absolutely the right move which means that the Johnson brothers will swoop in and take the flashy toy instead of the elite offensive lineman they need in order to keep Sam Darnold from morphing into 'David Carr 2.0'. 

This guy was absolute trash here in Baltimore, Ravens fans are laughing at the Jets even more than they normally do. Yeah, later career turnarounds have happened before, but I am so glad we didn't take a chance on him.

On 3/26/2020 at 4:18 AM, GunnerBill said:

They still have Enunwa as well who I like but is always hurt. Jeudy and Enunwa with Crowder in the slot and Perriman to play in specific packages is not awful. However, unless they get some linemen they could have Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and TO at wide receiver and it wouldn't matter if Darnold is on the ground.

The Jets added a lot of quantity along their O-line, Van Rotten and other mid-level to lower mid-level guys were added. Which I think is a better approach than they had last offseason where they added 2 big signings (Kalil and Osemele) but had little depth. I think their approach this off-season was a lot more prudent and a lot more focused on areas of need and depth than last off-season. IF the Jets have a good draft adding a quality WR at the top and adding another quality O-linemen in round 2 and hit on some depth in the rest of the draft I think they can be a competitive team 8-9 win team. 

Last year the Jets won 7 games (6 plus the game at the end of the season where the Bills were resting the starters and it was still a close game) and that was with Darnold having mono missing 3 games and a lot of other injuries. Now I would argue that the Jets were poorly constructed from a depth perspective which contributed to their issues but they seem to have at least addressed their O-line depth issue and made some decent defensive signings. 

What in my mind kills the Jets is the coaching. Gase is a huge anchor around the neck of the team it is embarrassing. What a trash hire. BUT I wouldn't write off the Jets as being decent competition within the division. 

Just now, billsfan89 said:

The Jets added a lot of quantity along their O-line, Van Rotten and other mid-level to lower mid-level guys were added. Which I think is a better approach than they had last offseason where they added 2 big signings (Kalil and Osemele) but had little depth. I think their approach this off-season was a lot more prudent and a lot more focused on areas of need and depth than last off-season. IF the Jets have a good draft adding a quality WR at the top and adding another quality O-linemen in round 2 and hit on some depth in the rest of the draft I think they can be a competitive team 8-9 win team. 

Last year the Jets won 7 games (6 plus the game at the end of the season where the Bills were resting the starters and it was still a close game) and that was with Darnold having mono missing 3 games and a lot of other injuries. Now I would argue that the Jets were poorly constructed from a depth perspective which contributed to their issues but they seem to have at least addressed their O-line depth issue and made some decent defensive signings. 

What in my mind kills the Jets is the coaching. Gase is a huge anchor around the neck of the team it is embarrassing. What a trash hire. BUT I wouldn't write off the Jets as being decent competition within the division. 

I ain't a massive Van Rotten fan. As for the guys they added last year...  Kalil missed the whole offseason and came out of retirement last minute. That line is still a massive issue. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I ain't a massive Van Rotten fan. As for the guys they added last year...  Kalil missed the whole offseason and came out of retirement last minute. That line is still a massive issue. 

They also signed Connor McGovern from Denver who is a very underrated center and Josh Andrews from the Colts who is decent depth. Not saying they completely fixed their O-line but Van Rotten and McGovern should start for them and their depth improved at the interior and if they can add another starter via the draft their O-line will at least be a respectable unit unlike last year where it was a complete mess. 

The Jets also sport a decent defense (love the Poole signing for them) and I think that Darnold with a decent O-line and some weapons could put together a upper mid-level NFL offense. I don't think of the Jets as world beaters but with an improved O-line and less injuries they could easily be a tough out that gets to .500 or better. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

They also signed Connor McGovern from Denver who is a very underrated center and Josh Andrews from the Colts who is decent depth. Not saying they completely fixed their O-line but Van Rotten and McGovern should start for them and their depth improved at the interior and if they can add another starter via the draft their O-line will at least be a respectable unit unlike last year where it was a complete mess. 

The Jets also sport a decent defense (love the Poole signing for them) and I think that Darnold with a decent O-line and some weapons could put together a upper mid-level NFL offense. I don't think of the Jets as world beaters but with an improved O-line and less injuries they could easily be a tough out that gets to .500 or better. 

I do like McGovern. I think he is a good pick up. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2020 at 11:30 AM, billsfan89 said:

Late responding to this, but true: they kind of patched together a decent (not good, but nothing like last year's mess) O line in a Beane-type way. I think the Jets and Dolphins will be very competitive this year. It's the new NFL: you can do just about everything wrong (Miami: trade for QB of the future; give up on him immediately; tear team apart to Tank for Tua; wind up getting better; get Tua anyway; etc., etc.) and kind of be right there in the race the next season. Ditto Arizona.

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not a shocker.... football player with a significant cervical injury...

The guy has been dealing with spine injuries since 2017, the Jets were incredibly stupid to resign him.   If its true and he has spinal stenosis they may have paid him 16 million dollars to play one game.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Late responding to this, but true: they kind of patched together a decent (not good, but nothing like last year's mess) O line in a Beane-type way. I think the Jets and Dolphins will be very competitive this year. It's the new NFL: you can do just about everything wrong (Miami: trade for QB of the future; give up on him immediately; tear team apart to Tank for Tua; wind up getting better; get Tua anyway; etc., etc.) and kind of be right there in the race the next season. Ditto Arizona.

The Jets problem is their defense is mediocre to average and Darnold has no one to throw to. But they did have a nice draft further solidifying their O-line and getting a young receiver in there. But overall they are in my opinion a year away from seriously competing I think they win 8-9 games this season competitive for the last wildcard spot but not a serious threat in the division just yet. Now if they can continue that prudent approach into 2021 then I think they become a much more serious threat. But I wouldn't sleep on the Jets that's 2 games that won't be easy. 

The Dolphins I am not sold on being much more than a 7-8 win team. I don't think they play Tua and I think their big free agency splurge is bound to not give them the results they hoped. Long term their hopes rest on Tua and how he develops. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

The Jets problem is their defense is mediocre to average and Darnold has no one to throw to. But they did have a nice draft further solidifying their O-line and getting a young receiver in there. But overall they are in my opinion a year away from seriously competing I think they win 8-9 games this season competitive for the last wildcard spot but not a serious threat in the division just yet. Now if they can continue that prudent approach into 2021 then I think they become a much more serious threat. But I wouldn't sleep on the Jets that's 2 games that won't be easy. 

The Dolphins I am not sold on being much more than a 7-8 win team. I don't think they play Tua and I think their big free agency splurge is bound to not give them the results they hoped. Long term their hopes rest on Tua and how he develops. 

I agree. The Jets are a good year (two?) behind the Bills in the rebuild. The Dolphins are weirdly almost there, but the "almost" -- QB -- is kind of a big one. They probably are a 7-8 win team, particularly in this division (and playing the AFC West like us), but that's kind of amazing given where they were in late September, when it looked like they legitimately could've gone 0-16 last year (they started out being outscored 102-10 in the first TWO games, and THEN traded one of their best players) and maybe 4-12 this year. Again: the new NFL, where mistakes no longer haunt you for a decade.

44 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Jets were either #1 or 2 against the run.  They need some decent CBs, and they'll be tough.