There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

11 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

People are still eating right?  Did we eat more chicken (not this is not a Chick-fil-A commercial) when we ate out?  People at home typically don't have the space to hold perishable food this it true however grocery stores do.  Get rid of the ***** frozen waffles and 2700 different flavors of ice cream and fill the freezers with perishable meat like chicken.  I'm not sure at all if this is what you're talking about but again people are still eating just at home and not out at restaurants.  

I think that the 75% capacity shows how much overall food waste is built into the food supply.

47 minutes ago, GG said:

That's if you think that a rural area can be fully self sufficient from end to end.  But in reality, few places will have the full complement of agri-products. 

I'm glad Tyson shined a light on this issue, because it could have spiraled very quickly.

I'd consider my little plot in Northern Idaho pretty rural, and as much as I'm surrounded by families on acres of land growing/raising  to sustain themselves, it could be very ugly if we had to be the sole source of basic food products.

That said, the difference here, and it was pretty clear when this pandemic started, is that this is not an 'every family for themselves' place.

The minute the shutdowns started, there were immediately communications going out via various social media platforms to see who needed help. I know the 'we're in it together' ads are tiresome, but that's not an ad up here. It's the way of life. So if the schitt DID hit the fan and the push was on to shut down the supply chain, I'm ridiculously grateful to be here.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

I think that the 75% capacity shows how much overall food waste is built into the food supply.

I was thinking this too, but even more so how much food waste is built into restaurants vs home cooking. 

We aren't eating less, we are wasting less. 

1 hour ago, GG said:

That's if you think that a rural area can be fully self sufficient from end to end.  But in reality, few places will have the full complement of agri-products. 

I'm glad Tyson shined a light on this issue, because it could have spiraled very quickly.

We don’t buy meat in the grocery store. There are plenty of meat packers here, but when we buy a half a cow, or a whole pig, we let the farmer deal with it. We can buy chickens locally, as well as sheep, goat, rabbits, etc. 

I do think the major cities could  be in trouble without the major meat packing plant supply chains. Out here in the wilds of the ‘burbs? Not-so-much. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

We don’t buy meat in the grocery store. There are plenty of meat packers here, but when we buy a half a cow, or a whole pig, we let the farmer deal with it. We can buy chickens locally, as well as sheep, goat, rabbits, etc. 

I do think the major cities could  be in trouble without the major meat packing plant supply chains. Out here in the wilds of the ‘burbs? Not-so-much. 

Also in cities think about how many people don't have freezers in apartments or confined housing.

Edited by Uncle Joe

2 hours ago, GG said:

...how much NEVER makes it to market to artificially inflate prices?.....if I remember correctly, the Feds have HUGE underground caverns in Kansas (?? not sure) where they warehouse tremendous dairy stock piles....look at Auto Nation, scurrilously filing multiple PPP applications under their several EIN's and grabbing $77 MILLION.....isn't floating the idea of a potential "nationwide food supply chain shortage" the PERFECT STORM to raise hysteria?....is food the "next toilet paper"?......hmmmmm.....

2 hours ago, GG said:

Unfortunately there is a HUGE amount built in. Restaurants are very good at controlling waste. Our margins were so thin we tried not to throw anything away.  Grocery stores on the other hand?  And think about all the "ugly" produce that doesn't even make it to the store. We eat with our eyes. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...how much NEVER makes it to market to artificially inflate prices?.....if I remember correctly, the Feds have HUGE underground caverns in Kansas (?? not sure) where they warehouse tremendous dairy stock piles....look at Auto Nation, scurrilously filing multiple PPP applications under their several EIN's and grabbing $77 MILLION.....isn't floating the idea of a potential "nationwide food supply chain shortage" the PERFECT STORM to raise hysteria?....is food the "next toilet paper"?......hmmmmm.....

The favorite tactic of the communist ideology is to cause starvation. The near future in terms of access to quality food could be extremely difficult.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Notwithstanding the commentary here, the vast majority of US public doesn't have the capability to store large amounts of perishable food.  That's why it will never hit the toilet paper stage.  In the first weeks of the panic some idiots thought it would be a good idea to hoard milk & eggs.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GG said:

Notwithstanding the commentary here, the vast majority of US public doesn't have the capability to store large amounts of perishable food.  That's why it will never hit the toilet paper stage.  In the first weeks of the panic some idiots thought it would be a good idea to hoard milk & eggs.

True. Still trying to figure out the nonsensical hoarding of toilet paper, though. Ongoing, but to a lesser degree. 

5 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I'd consider my little plot in Northern Idaho pretty rural, and as much as I'm surrounded by families on acres of land growing/raising  to sustain themselves, it could be very ugly if we had to be the sole source of basic food products.

That said, the difference here, and it was pretty clear when this pandemic started, is that this is not an 'every family for themselves' place.

The minute the shutdowns started, there were immediately communications going out via various social media platforms to see who needed help. I know the 'we're in it together' ads are tiresome, but that's not an ad up here. It's the way of life. So if the schitt DID hit the fan and the push was on to shut down the supply chain, I'm ridiculously grateful to be here.

Beautiful.  That’s the human spirit in action.  Sounds cold as a bastahd in the winter though. 

And right on cue, all the NYC evening news are leading off with stories about a possible "temporary" meat shortage. 

Of course in the middle of the segment, everyone in the industry they interviewed don't think it will happen ...

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, shoshin said:

I was thinking this too, but even more so how much food waste is built into restaurants vs home cooking. 

We aren't eating less, we are wasting less. 

You think restaurants waste food?  Restaurants can’t afford to waste food. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

And right on cue, all the NYC evening news are leading off with stories about a possible "temporary" meat shortage. 

Of course in the middle of the segment, everyone in the industry they interviewed don't think it will happen ...

I expect toilet paper to be flying off the shelves tomorrow morning. 

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

You think restaurants waste food?  Restaurants can’t afford to waste food. 

Having worked in many, yes. Especially in uneaten portions. Amount of waste depends on type of restaurant in my experience. Nicer restaurants with smaller portions had less waste in front and back. Faster food least waste in back in fact I remember only bread being regularly tossed. Buffet style (college caf) endless waste everywhere, just wasted food in stunning quantities. 

Nothing compares to home food waste in America though. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KRC said:

We had a mayor here many years ago who said free Wi-Fi was a civil right.

i know Elon Musk isn't a mayor but he apparently thinks the whole world should have the internet. his Starlink service will begin beta in three months.