There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I still haven’t heard anyone who says we need more testing explain exactly how it would be done ,what they’d like to accomplish with it, and how it would be implemented. Seems to be a red herring...

The Taskforce including Fauci and Birx have already said that there is enough testing for phase 1 but Fauci doesn't believe there is enough for beyond that.   The argument that some medical experts make is that there has to be enough testing for anyone who wants one and to test asymptomatic people.  Not sure how you test the asymptomatic people especially if they don't know that they are infected.  

I would imagine pretty soon the total number of newly infected people will plummet.  That's my hunch.   And once that number is at a much lower baseline it will be much easier to test everyone who requests one.   I would think as long as they have enough to test everyone who requests one and all medical providers and people at highest risk such as nursing homes, that should be enough.   Right now they are conducting about 200k a day and my guess is that by the time July rolls around that capacity will be close to 400k tests a day.

Another way that they can make a determination of infection rates are the percentage of people testing positive on the tests being conducted.  It's not a perfect science but it's a pretty good indicator.  Like in NY, over 25% of the tests that are being conducted people are testing positive.  Whereas where I live in Brevard county, a county of 600k people residents have had 235 people who have tested positive with 6300 tests conducted.   Which is less than 4% of the people who have had a test conducted tested positive. 

What I'm saying is that the lower the percentage of people who have had tests done are testing positive that strongly implies that there are less people infected per capita.

These states that are balking based on not enough testing can also use this as a data point.

This prolonged and seemingly perpetual shutdown has become irresponsible and inhumane.

The Uber sanctimonious crowd demanding strict compliance with these absurd lockdown orders are the worst humans among us. As a hunch, most of them are not deeply affected, being either independently wealthy, still employed, or living on a government check. I seriously doubt many of them are watching their life's work burn before their eyes.

Their plan, to the extent they have one, seems to be to live in seclusion until the end of time or discovery of miracle cure, whichever comes first. The latter may well come, but it's entirely likely that it doesn't.

As per usual, those who believe they stand on insurmountable moral high ground are most often in the moral basement. Unwillingness to face hard decisions is not a virtue.

I kind of understand wrt unavoidably crowded venues like theaters, arenas, and airplanes, but ~70% of what's shutdown should be reopened yesterday. We all know what precautions to take. We're going to Walmart and Home Depot without a problem. Why can't we go to department stores and restaurants?Why can't we get a goddamn haircut? Why are the bowling alleys, golf courses, and parks off limits?

We all know to keep our distance and take reasonable precautions. This is no longer necessary.

And to the self-aggrandizing douchebag who asks in his cucked out whiney voice "would you let someone die just to avoid national financial devastation," I'll tell you what I really think. Motherfuker, I would watch you die for a Big Mac.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

This prolonged and seemingly perpetual shutdown has become irresponsible and inhumane.

The Uber sanctimonious crowd demanding strict compliance with these absurd lockdown orders are the worst humans among us. As a hunch, most of them are not deeply affected, being either independently wealthy, still employed, or living on a government check. I seriously doubt many of them are watching their life's work burn before their eyes.

Their plan, to the extent they have one, seems to be to live in seclusion until the end of time or discovery of miracle cure, whichever comes first. The latter may well come, but it's entirely likely that it doesn't.

As per usual, those who believe they stand on insurmountable moral high ground are most often in the moral basement. Unwillingness to face hard decisions is not a virtue.

I kind of understand wrt unavoidably crowded venues like theaters, arenas, and airplanes, but ~70% of what's shutdown should be reopened yesterday. We all know what precautions to take. We're going to Walmart and Home Depot without a problem. Why can't we go to department stores and restaurants?Why can't we get a goddamn haircut? Why are the bowling alleys, golf courses, and parks off limits?

We all know to keep our distance and take reasonable precautions. This is no longer necessary.

And to the self-aggrandizing douchebag who asks in his cucked out whiney voice "would you let someone die just to avoid national financial devastation," I'll tell you what I really think. Motherfuker, I would watch you die for a Big Mac.

“And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out, in a minute. Is there a way we can do something like that? By injection, inside, or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it would be interesting to check that. You’re going to have to use medical doctors, right? But it sounds interesting to me.”

Aaahhhh.  Partial quotes, the sign of desperation.

Meanwhile, back at the thread..........

Vermont gives greenlight to work crews under 5

MONTPELIER, Vt. (WCAX) Vermont Governor Phil Scott Friday further loosened stay-at-home restrictions by allowing small work crews with less than five people to return to work.

As of Friday, Vermont health officials reported 827 coronavirus cases in the state and 44 deaths. Vermont officials say there is now "no room for doubt" that the state reached its peak and that the number of new cases allows for more people to go back to work as long as they follow strict guidelines.

Friday's order allows small crews of under five workers can do outdoor work or work in unoccupied spaces. Manufacturing can resume with a maximum of five employees if they can keep workers six-feet apart. Outdoor retail facilities like garden centers can open, but no more than ten people including customers or staff are permitted at a time.

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Who-gets-to-go-to-work-next-Scott-expected-to-turn-spigot-Friday-569900381.html

• Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

26 Governors  are republican , Trump should be able to convince them to end most of the shutdown ?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ALF said:

26 Governors  are republican , Trump should be able to convince them to end most of the shutdown ?

I'm tired of people obsessing over politics through this. It really illustrates the extent to which our political affiliations are the irrational product of a primal instinct that served us well in primitive times, but has not evolved as fast as society has and is now greatly detrimental.

Politics is supposed to be about selecting the people and policies with the goal of achieving the best outcomes. Now it's reversed and seems the goal is to "win" regardless of outcome.

We're dealing with a serious threat to life and prosperity, both short and long term, on a scale not seen in generations, and far too many people are more concerned with how it will affect a political party that doesn't give a sh|t if they live or die.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

How are they going to end the shutdown in NY?  In Michigan?

The fear for both parties is not to overwhelm the hospital systems.  No way the shutdown can end in hotspots. I agree it could be loosened in less affected areas.  Even in sparse states meat packing plants are being hit hard.  They don't have a handle on this yet.

50 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I'm tired of people obsessing over politics through this. It really illustrates the extent to which our political affiliations are the irrational product of a primal instinct that served us well in primitive times, but has not evolved as fast as society has and is now greatly detrimental.

Politics is supposed to be about selecting the people and policies with the goal of achieving the best outcomes. Now it's reversed and seems the goal is to "win" regardless of outcome.

We're dealing with a serious threat to life and prosperity, both short and long term, on a scale not seen in generations, and far too many people are more concerned with how it will affect a political party that doesn't give a sh|t if they live or die.

Welcome to Trump world. So you must be pissed is trying to appease his [political base by killing Obamacare in the courts during a pandemic. 

I know, I know, that's really different 

15 hours ago, ALF said:

The fear for both parties is not to overwhelm the hospital systems.  No way the shutdown can end in hotspots. I agree it could be loosened in less affected areas.  Even in sparse states meat packing plants are being hit hard.  They don't have a handle on this yet.

Overwhelming the healthcare system is really the thing to watch closely. There are not a lot of good national stats on this but governors should have good regional data. My wife’s healthcare system shares that info internally but widely daily. Zero downwards trend for Covid cases or beds in a system that is shut down for all non-essential surgery. 

The curve flattened and that was the goal. Outside of NYC Metro, the cases may be as high as 5%, which means we have a long ways to go. A slow and phased reopening like the Trump guidelines that almost no one seems interested in following guarantees that curve stays flat (flat does not mean cases go to zero...it means cases remain but are manageable) and we can reopen. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Welcome to Trump world. So you must be pissed is trying to appease his [political base by killing Obamacare in the courts during a pandemic. 

I know, I know, that's really different 

Your lack of worldliness is astonishing.

...a word of caution from M&T Bank..........

Business email compromise attempts are increasing.
Fraudsters are using COVID-19 disruptions to infiltrate businesses. They are taking advantage of the changed work circumstances and have increased the amount of Business Email Compromise (BEC) attempts. This is happening with both payroll impersonation and vendor impersonation.

In Business Email Compromise, fraudsters use readily available digital sources to identify the names of core executives or vendors and then target a victim within the company who manages finances. They then create a fraudulent email to trick the victim into initiating an ACH or Wire payment.

We recommend following the practices below to minimize the risk of falling victim to BEC:
Verify any account number changes – any time an employee or vendor sends an email or submits a request changing their account number information, reach out directly to that employee or vendor to confirm the changes using existing contact information. Do not use the contact information submitted with the request. A best practice in this situation is to use a previously known phone number and call directly to verify any changes
Payment instructions received via email – if an email is received requesting the initiation of a Wire or ACH payment, confirm the payment instructions with the requestor prior to initiating the transaction. Do not reply to the email request to confirm the instructions. Reach out via another communication method, i.e., separate email or phone call, to confirm the payment instructions
Update contact information – with many employees working remotely, standard contact information may not be correct, and M&T may have trouble contacting the appropriate parties to verify payment information. Customers can update their contact information under the Administration sections of Web InfoPLU$ and Treasury Center. For M&T BizPay users, please contact 1-800-724-2240 to update Administrator contact information
If you would like more fraud prevention tips, please visit M&T Resources and Insights.

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...a word of caution from M&T Bank..........

Business email compromise attempts are increasing.
Fraudsters are using COVID-19 disruptions to infiltrate businesses. They are taking advantage of the changed work circumstances and have increased the amount of Business Email Compromise (BEC) attempts. This is happening with both payroll impersonation and vendor impersonation.

In Business Email Compromise, fraudsters use readily available digital sources to identify the names of core executives or vendors and then target a victim within the company who manages finances. They then create a fraudulent email to trick the victim into initiating an ACH or Wire payment.

We recommend following the practices below to minimize the risk of falling victim to BEC:
Verify any account number changes – any time an employee or vendor sends an email or submits a request changing their account number information, reach out directly to that employee or vendor to confirm the changes using existing contact information. Do not use the contact information submitted with the request. A best practice in this situation is to use a previously known phone number and call directly to verify any changes
Payment instructions received via email – if an email is received requesting the initiation of a Wire or ACH payment, confirm the payment instructions with the requestor prior to initiating the transaction. Do not reply to the email request to confirm the instructions. Reach out via another communication method, i.e., separate email or phone call, to confirm the payment instructions
Update contact information – with many employees working remotely, standard contact information may not be correct, and M&T may have trouble contacting the appropriate parties to verify payment information. Customers can update their contact information under the Administration sections of Web InfoPLU$ and Treasury Center. For M&T BizPay users, please contact 1-800-724-2240 to update Administrator contact information
If you would like more fraud prevention tips, please visit M&T Resources and Insights.

Well run con job. 

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well run con job. 

...don't follow....that is the M&T phone number for administration matters.....and you have to go through a stringent "..name...rank....and serial number.." steps before they'll talk to you.....I haven't had to do it in awhile (corporately), but I'd bet it is even MORE stringent now......

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...don't follow....that is the M&T phone number for administration matters.....and you have to go through a stringent "..name...rank....and serial number.." steps before they'll talk to you.....I haven't had to do it in awhile (corporately), but I'd bet it is even MORE stringent now......

You've been working too hard lately. I was being sarcastic. Don't you think it's funny that you warn of using any phone numbers provided you from a post or email but then post a number? And seriously, I thought a while back that in your position and with the different rules by each state, plus multiple unions you must be pulling your hair out trying to keep things running. Good luck. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-bearer-of-good-coronavirus-news-11587746176?emailToken=e98cb2d305bcc6e4c0c210e17eae132cJG0ZjF+EmOkjTKVGt+lcsuO/RiQLe4Twz87Vep17dSxx0ojfTYKkfylRrZAaC2pkr09cAWrCFvd6zEnql5p4kA%3D%3D&reflink=article_copyURL_share

But sci­en­tists are al­most never unan­i-mous, and many ap­peals to “sci­ence” are trans­par­ently po­lit­i­cal or ide­o­log­i-cal. Con­sider the story of John Ioan­ni-dis, a pro­fes­sor at Stan­ford’s School of Med­i­cine. His ex­per-tise is wide-rang­ing—he jug­gles ap­pointments in sta­tistics, bio­medical data, pre­ven­tion re­search and health re­search and pol­icy. Google Scholar ranks him the world’s 100 most-cited sci­entists. He has pub­lished more than 1,000 papers, many of them meta-analy­ses—re-views of other studies. Yet he’s now found him­self pill­oried be­cause he dissents from the the­ories be­hind the lock-downs—be­cause he’s looked at the data and found good news.

Dr. Ioan­ni­dis es­ti­mated that the U.S. fa­tal­ity rate could be as low as 0.025% to 0.625% and put the up­per bound at 0.05% to 1%—com­pa­ra­ble to that of sea­sonal flu.  “If that is the true rate,” he wrote, “lock-ing down the world with po­ten­tially tremen­dous so­cial and fi­nan­cial con­se-quences may be to­tally ir­ra­tional. It’s like an ele­phant be­ing at­tacked by a house cat. Frus-trated and try­ing to avoid the cat, the ele­phant ac­ci­den-tally jumps off a cliff and dies.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

It’s time for a new Task Force. This first group  were quick to ‘shut it all down’ and to ‘flatten the curve’...but they need new voices in there now. Fauchi and Birx are both nice people but they have ZERO ideas on where to go now or what to do next. Time to go to the bilullpen!

• Thank you (+1) 1