There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

It really is a bunch of Monday Morning Quarterbacking.  I laid it out, it is a fact that the system in place was not meant to do this sort of testing at this level.  That's a fact, that is undeniable. 

So that only leaves the question, should they have began anticipating this sort of a pandemic a month before that they did.  Keep in mind, the CDC is seen as one of the best if not the top Disease Prevention organizations in the world.  The idea that Trump was maybe overriding what the CDC wanted to do to prepare for this pandemic is ludicrous.  Everyone was caught off guard, ranging from Trump, the CDC, WHO, Cuomo, Europe you name it.  The only ones who were truly prepared for this were the Asians, and that is because of their H1N1 experience.  They lived through something somewhat similar and they already had a system in place to better deal with it.

Some countries should of been prepared better when mers was going around (a member of coronavirus families). Hopefully the world be better prepared next coronavirus comes around. There is lots in the family. Cats only by cats get infected by coronavirus (different family from infecting humans). From feces for cats.  Affects from different families for lots of animals. Affects animals from different families. Hopefully governments are better prepared when next one comes.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronavirus

Coronaviruses are a group of related viruses that cause diseases in mammals and birds. In humans, coronaviruses cause respiratory tract infections that can be mild, such as some cases of the common cold (among other possible causes, predominantly rhinoviruses), and others that can be lethal, such as SARS, MERS, and COVID-19. Symptoms in other species vary: in chickens, they cause an upper respiratory tract disease, while in cows and pigs they cause diarrhea. There are yet to be vaccines or antiviral drugs to prevent or treat human coronavirus infections.

Coronaviruses constitute the subfamily Orthocoronavirinae, in the family Coronaviridae, order Nidovirales, and realm Riboviria.[5][6] They are enveloped viruses with a positive-sense single-stranded RNA genome and a nucleocapsid of helical symmetry. The genome size of coronaviruses ranges from approximately 27 to 34 kilobases, the largest among known RNA viruses.[7] The name coronavirus is derived from the Latin corona, meaning "crown" or "halo", which refers to the characteristic appearance reminiscent of a crown or a solar corona around the virions (virus particles) when viewed under two-dimensional transmission electron microscopy, due to the surface being covered in club-shaped protein spikes.

The influenza has lots of different flu as well. One dogs can get from birds or horses.   Gotta hate RNA Coronavirus virus, flu or whatever.  

tuberculosis has rna as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tuberculosis+rna&rlz=1CARJNJ_enUS891&oq=tub&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j69i59l3j0l3j69i61.2416j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

Mycobacterium tuberculosis contains at least nine small RNA families in its genome. The small RNA (sRNA) families were identified through RNomics – the direct analysis of RNA molecules isolated from cultures of Mycobacterium tuberculosis.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

And this you imbeciles - STOP DRIVING YOUR VEHICLES!!!!!!!!!!!  THE RISK IS TOO GREAT.  HOW MANY LIVES ARE YOU WILLING TO RISK SO THAT YOU MAY DRIVE A VEHICLE!!!  IS a haircut worth it?  Taking your kids to school?  Running errands? DRIVING TO WORK???? How can you live with this blood on your hands?????

For the second consecutive year, the U.S. experienced a small decline in roadway deaths, according to preliminary estimates released today from the National Safety Council. In 2019, an estimated 38,800 people lost their lives to car crashes – a 2% decline from 2018 (39,404 deaths) and a 4% decline from 2017 (40,231 deaths). About 4.4 million people were injured seriously enough to require medical attention in crashes last year – also a 2% decrease over 2018 figures.

Source: https://www.nsc.org/road-safety/safety-topics/fatality-estimates

(886 deaths in US from Coronavirus)

1 hour ago, Magox said:

It really is a bunch of Monday Morning Quarterbacking.  I laid it out, it is a fact that the system in place was not meant to do this sort of testing at this level.  That's a fact, that is undeniable. 

So that only leaves the question, should they have began anticipating this sort of a pandemic a month before that they did.  Keep in mind, the CDC is seen as one of the best if not the top Disease Prevention organizations in the world.  The idea that Trump was maybe overriding what the CDC wanted to do to prepare for this pandemic is ludicrous.  Everyone was caught off guard, ranging from Trump, the CDC, WHO, Cuomo, Europe you name it.  The only ones who were truly prepared for this were the Asians, and that is because of their H1N1 experience.  They lived through something somewhat similar and they already had a system in place to better deal with it.

If we were the most prepared country in the world, but Korea and Singapore and others were able to role out testing on a fairly significant scale, then the MMQing is basically covering up for the lack of urgency by this administration.  I laid it out three weeks ago--Trump was more worried about the stock market and economy.  It took the second dramatic stock drop on the monday after the Fed cut for him to take it seriously.  

The US has been gaming pandemics out for a long time, so it was no surprise to those who should've been more forceful about a response, especially when we were given the time from closing off China.

Just now, TPS said:

If we were the most prepared country in the world, but Korea and Singapore and others were able to role out testing on a fairly significant scale, then the MMQing is basically covering up for the lack of urgency by this administration.  I laid it out three weeks ago--Trump was more worried about the stock market and economy.  It took the second dramatic stock drop on the monday after the Fed cut for him to take it seriously.  

The US has been gaming pandemics out for a long time, so it was no surprise to those who should've been more forceful about a response, especially when we were given the time from closing off China.

You can make that criticism but I think most people understand that this is something that caught the entire world off guard including our health experts.  The only ones who were well prepared for it were the Asians and that is because they went through to it with H1N1.  

We can agree to disagree but if Dr Fauci and all of Europe’s top health experts were caught off guard then I won’t hold it against anyone else for doing so as well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Red Tape Pandemic

John Stossel

Coronavirus is frightening.

I'm working from home, practicing "social distancing." Experts say it'll help "flatten the curve" so fewer people will be infected simultaneously. Then hospitals won't be overwhelmed.

But the infection rate grows. Doctors and hospitals may yet be overwhelmed.

It didn't have to get to this point.

Coronavirus deaths leveled off in South Korea.

That's because people in Korea could easily find out if they had the disease. There are hundreds of testing locations -- even pop-up drive-thru testing centers.

Because Koreans got tested, Korean doctors knew who needed to be isolated and who didn't. As a result, Korea limited the disease without mass quarantines and shortages.

Not in America. In America, a shortage of COVID-19 tests has made it hard for people to get tested. Even those who show all the symptoms have a difficult time.

Why weren't there enough tests?

Because our government insists on control of medical innovation.

When coronavirus appeared, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention made its own tests and insisted that people only use those CDC tests. But the CDC test often gave inaccurate results.

Some early versions of the test couldn't distinguish between coronavirus and water.

Private companies might have offered better tests, and more of them, but that wasn't allowed. The World Health Organization even released information on how to make such tests, but our government still said no. Instead, all tests must go through the government's cumbersome approval process. That takes months. Or years.

Hundreds of labs had the ability to test for the virus, but they weren't allowed to test.

As a result, doctors can't be sure exactly where outbreaks are happening. Instead of quarantining just sick people, state governors are forcing entire states to go on lockdown.

At the same time, many people who show no symptoms do have COVID-19. Without widespread testing, we don't know who they are, and so the symptomless sick are infecting others.

A few weeks ago, the government finally gave up its monopoly and said it was relaxing the rules. There would be quick "emergency use authorizations" replacing the months- or years-long wait for approval. But even that took so long that few independent tests were approved.

So President Donald Trump waived those rules, too.

Now tests are finally being made. But that delay killed people. It's still killing people.

Other needlessly repressive rules prevented doctors and hospitals from trying more efficient ways to treat patients.

More at the link: https://townhall.com/columnists/johnstossel/2020/03/25/the-red-tape-pandemic-n2565634

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Magox said:

We can agree to disagree but if Dr Fauci and all of Europe’s top health experts were caught off guard then I won’t hold it against anyone else for doing so as well.

I'm sorry. That doesn't work here. People must be blamed. Fingers must be pointed. Preferably the orange guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

On 3/24/2020 at 4:23 PM, B-Man said:

ALL OR NOTHING.......

As an example

#NotDying4WallStreet....... is trending, all parroting the same misinformation

OR:

Aaaaand of course it took you 2 posts to pollute this thread with your toxic cut and pastes....Lordy....can’t you just speak for yourself?

• Like (+1) 1

America Needs a Formula for Reopening

by Ben Shapiro

This week, President Donald Trump began openly considering at what point the American government ought to take steps to reopen the American economy. He explained: "Our country wasn't built to be shut down. America will again and soon be open for business," suggesting that the timeline will be weeks instead of months. "If it were up to the doctors," Trump said, "they'd say, 'Let's shut down the entire world.' This could create a much bigger problem than the problem that you started with." Later, Trump optimistically proclaimed that he "would love to have the country opened up and just raring to go by Easter."

Trump's projections drew fire -- as do all of his statements. These statements, however, caused inordinate faux heartburn among commentators, who shouted that Trump was weighing dollars against lives and deciding in favor of dollars. The hashtag #NotDyingForWallStreet began trending on Twitter, followed by the hashtag #DieForTheDow. New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo tweeted: "My mother is not expendable. Your mother is not expendable. We will not put a dollar figure on human life. ... No one should be talking about social darwinism for the sake of the stock market." Presumptive 2020 Democratic nominee Joe Biden said, "I don't agree with the notion that somehow it's OK ... to let people die."

That, of course, was not Trump's suggestion. Trump was merely pointing out -- quite correctly -- that since the federal government has now taken the unprecedented and justifiable action of completely shutting down the American economy, to the tune of millions of lost jobs and the greatest quarterly economic decline in recorded history, we must also have a plan to end this situation.

The economy cannot remain shuttered indefinitely; the federal government cannot engage in endless cash expenditures on the basis of treasuries nobody is buying. Nor is the economy merely Wall Street. The vast majority of those who will lose their jobs are not day traders but workers. Small companies are more likely to go under than large ones. The economy isn't an abstraction. It's the real lives of hundreds of millions of American citizens, and costs to those Americans must be weighed in the balance.

That's not controversial. That's a simple fact. Public policy is the craft of weighing risks and rewards, and policymakers do it every day. It's just that this time, the stakes are the highest they have ever been.

So, when do we reopen, and how?

The biggest problem is that we lack the data to answer the question. How many lives will be lost if we take heavy social measures after how many weeks? Moderate social measures? What will be the concomitant economic gain or loss? How many additional ICU beds and ventilators will we need to make available in order to clear the flattened curve such that we do not experience excess deaths due to lack of equipment, a la Italy? Our goal should be to move from the Chinese model -- total lockdown -- to the South Korean model -- heavy testing, contact investigations and social distancing. In order to accomplish that, we need to flatten the curve and stop the spread, allowing us to reset. How long will that take?

We're not going to have answers until some time passes -- until we test more, until the outcomes of cases are made certain. But we can certainly construct the formulas that should allow us to calculate possible outcomes as new data comes in, and that should allow us to collectively commit to actions directed at certain outcomes. We require a formula from the government. That's the transparency the markets need, that the American people need.

And that, at least, should be attainable over the next two weeks.

https://townhall.com/columnists/benshapiro/2020/03/25/america-needs-a-formula-for-reopening-n2565660

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

Aaaaand of course it took you 2 posts to pollute this thread with your toxic cut and pastes....Lordy....can’t you just speak for yourself?

It's not like he claimed Trump killed some guy in Arizona by telling him to ingest fish tank cleaner. I've been around this place long enough to remember when you did that. Aren't you embarrassed? 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-will-it-be-safe-to-go-out-again/2020/03/24/7cb2e488-6de1-11ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html

“What” gets restarted first should depend on what would have the biggest benefit for society. We urgently need to understand whether children spread this infection. If they don’t commonly do so, schools may be able to reopen, carefully. This would require enabling staff and students who are medically vulnerable to participate by distance. Day-care facilities are essential so parents can work. Infrastructure projects are a likely priority. Businesses that should go first are those that can open with distancing measures (mandatory hand sanitizer and temperature checks at entry, social distancing, staggered hours, etc.), those that can open with partial staffing to increase productivity of distance work, or those particularly important to a community.

Among the most concerning flaws of this administration’s response has been the virtual absence of our lead public health agency, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, from the decision table and the podium. This is dangerous. For example, the CDC issued practical and nuanced guidance about school closings. Without any scientific justification or explanation, the White House overruled that guidance 72 hours later. As a result, many school districts closed that probably didn’t need to, causing avoidable social, economic and educational dislocation.

CDC experts have experience unequaled nationally and globally. We will be safer when the CDC is in a position to provide the kind of expert advice it has dispensed in every other infectious disease emergency since its creation in 1946.

Edited by Tiberius

I wouldn’t say everyone was caught off guard, I have a coworker who is a bit of a conspiracy guy but very smart. One morning months ago, he showed me a WorldStar video of a Chinese woman explaining how their government was misleading others and people were dying in the streets. 

I immediately laughed once he said WorldStar and never gave it much thought. Then slowly this story become real life until we all knew it was inevitably coming here. 

I don’t write this because he believed it to be true, I write this because the information was out there for willing eyes. I do think to best handle a novel situation you need to discover it as early as possible and take the maximum amount of precaution. 

On 3/24/2020 at 4:23 PM, B-Man said:

ALL OR NOTHING.......

As an example

#NotDying4WallStreet....... is trending, all parroting the same misinformation

OR:

It really is amazing the economy survived the great flu Pandemic of 2018-19 when 34,500 Americans died with all the businesses that shut down.

I shake my head in amazement thinking about that and how we bounced back.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

It really is amazing the economy survived the great flu Pandemic of 2018-19 when 34,500 Americans died with all the businesses that shut down.

I shake my head in amazement thinking about that and how we bounced back.

The truly amazing thing is our economy survives the existence of millions of morons on a daily basis.  

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

I wouldn’t say everyone was caught off guard, I have a coworker who is a bit of a conspiracy guy but very smart. One morning months ago, he showed me a WorldStar video of a Chinese woman explaining how their government was misleading others and people were dying in the streets. 

I immediately laughed once he said WorldStar and never gave it much thought. Then slowly this story become real life until we all knew it was inevitably coming here. 

I don’t write this because he believed it to be true, I write this because the information was out there for willing eyes. I do think to best handle a novel situation you need to discover it as early as possible and take the maximum amount of precaution. 

You don't need maximum precaution you just need common cents (lol). My wife and I starting prepping for this in early February - nothing drastic - just bought double groceries for about 5 weeks in a row. We are both loving life working from home but luckily we are in industries that will get by no problem. I also own a seasonal business though that I won't be able to open this summer at least on a full scale because of the virus. I've got 5 employees asking me if they're going to be able to work and I can't tell them yes with good conscience. 

On 3/24/2020 at 4:44 PM, IDBillzFan said:

As the last 48 hours has proven, the last three years of politics have brought us to a place where the leaders remain too interested in their own agendas than that of the American people.

I'm convinced the children in DC are incapable of doing this at this moment in time.

And it continues.