There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

It is all important, of course. However, there is no denying that school is a form of daycare for parents who would not otherwise be able to go to work if their children were home all day. 

giphy.gif

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

but just you wait and see, the very same people and politicians who scream we need to keep the schools closed will be the very same screaming ne need more money for expanded capapity in childcare so people can get back to work...cause ya know, the virus will spread like crazy in school and the teachers and the teachers families will be at risk, but it checks itself at the front door of a childcare center and the care givers there and their families are immune to the virus.

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

but just you wait and see, the very same people and politicians who scream we need to keep the schools closed will be the very same screaming ne need more money for expanded capapity in childcare so people can get back to work...cause ya know, the virus will spread like crazy in school and the teachers and the teachers families will be at risk, but it checks itself at the front door of a childcare center and the care givers there and their families are immune to the virus.

Trump tweeted about possibly cutting funding if schools do not reopen. I am not sure how that would work, but it is very important that schools reopen in the fall. Saying that, if I am over 60, especially with a preexisting condition that might make me more vulnerable to COVID-19, I am retiring. For the kids? Way worse to keep 'em home.

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

Daycare/ child care is important but these parents need a job to go back to.  Yes, the government is taking care of them at the moment but the longer some businesses stay closed the less likely they are to reopen.  Dairy farming is important and with the shutdown the demand for milk byproducts such as cheese has fallen off greatly.  The government for the moment is propping them up but the day is coming where no support is coming.  Dairy farming is very important for many communities in WNY.  I am happy for the comebacks that have happened to this point but worry a fair number of them will only be temporary.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Trump tweeted about possibly cutting funding if schools do not reopen. I am not sure how that would work, but it is very important that schools reopen in the fall. Saying that, if I am over 60, especially with a preexisting condition that might make me more vulnerable to COVID-19, I am retiring. For the kids? Way worse to keep 'em home.

and those teachers should be able to stay home and get full pay and benefits, absolutely. But remember, the demographic of child care workers vs teachers is much different, and child care workers and their families are in a much higher risk group...so that is why people will be okay with keeping schools closed and forcing kids into childcare...

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

and those teachers should be able to stay home and get full pay and benefits, absolutely. But remember, the demographic of child care workers vs teachers is much different, and child care workers and their families are in a much higher risk group...so that is why people will be okay with keeping schools closed and forcing kids into childcare...

How is the bolded possible? Do they need to prove they're more at risk? Isn't that against the law for the school to require medical information like that?  Might as well never retire with that sweet gig. 

Edited by LB3

Just now, LB3 said:

How is the bolded possible? Do they need to prove they're more at risk? Isn't that against the law for the school to require medical information like that? 

could be,,but age is obviously known, and i am sure any underlying conditions can be documented if teacher wants to stay home. But also see your point 

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

could be,,but age is obviously known, and i am sure any underlying conditions can be documented if teacher wants to stay home. But also see your point 

Teacher can stay home and Zoom in his/her curriculum.   It's not rocket surgery.  

I'm in a VERY people oriented business.  I have not sat in the same room with a client for nearly 4 months and have been busier than ever.  

Edited by Chef Jim

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Teacher can stay home and Zoom in his/her curriculum.   It's not rocket surgery.  

I'm in a VERY people oriented business.  I have not sat in the same room with a client for nearly 4 months and have been busier than ever.  

Same.

I also come from a family of educators - they would prefer to be IN the classroom and not on ZOOM.

Millions and millions are back to work, and many never stopped working. I find it laughable that the government run schools with their union teachers feel like they're the only ones that cannot get back to work. Hilarious!  (I'm sure it's "all about the kids".)

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

As long as it is safe and the experts way in - sure, why not?

I do not take ANY advice from this guy:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/us/coronavirus-schools-reopening-guidelines-aap.html

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/24/882316641/what-parents-can-learn-from-child-care-centers-that-stayed-open-during-lockdowns

You need more ? Or is the American Academy of Peditrics not good enough?

And in and article researched and  reported by well known Trump mouthpiece NPR. sources like the conservative bastion Brown University and the YMCA have zero instance of transmission in child care centers catering to children of front line workers..you know the very people who are working with Covid patients everyday.

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/us/coronavirus-schools-reopening-guidelines-aap.html

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/24/882316641/what-parents-can-learn-from-child-care-centers-that-stayed-open-during-lockdowns

You need more ? Or is the American Academy of Peditrics not good enough?

And in and article researched and  reported by well known Trump mouthpiece NPR. sources like the conservative bastion Brown University and the YMCA have zero instance of transmission in child care centers catering to children of front line workers..you know the very people who are working with Covid patients everyday.

lmao - look at you trying to stir the pot.