There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

You think Cuomo is going to go against the teacher's union? That would shock me. Right now teachers are collecting from home. (Well, last check as the school year ends.) My niece (a teacher) took her daughter out of daycare and basically built a fort around their house. Funny part? Her SO works in the fire department and saw a ton of people on his days-on and yet no one was allowed near their house until two weeks ago. SMH

Mentioning online schooling is most certain a shot across the bow.  Online schooling would open the gates for taxpayers to make pushbacks on staffing.  The argument for one teacher for every 24-30 students was there was no archiving of in class presentations.  So the distinction had to be made between fast learners and slow learners.  In high school those who were just hoping for a school degree versus those wanting a regent's diploma versus those who wanted AP to be noticed by certain colleges.  Now all materials can be down loaded and replayed to meet a student's need.  Add to that most districts in WNY have been or are under financial stress.  One of the fallouts to come out of the pandemic will be fewer businesses to contribute to the taxbase whether it be property taxes or otherwise.  My parents' generation who made the last big wide swath of career pay are dying off and so is their contribution to the school districts.  No way what's left in WNY in most districts will maintain home values when they are making 11.40 per hour at Quick Lube or Walmart when the last owner was an engineer at some area company making three times the wage.

Edited by RochesterRob

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Mentioning online schooling is most certain a shot across the bow.  Online schooling would open the gates for taxpayers to make pushbacks on staffing.  The argument for one teacher for every 24-30 students was there was no archiving of in class presentations.  So the distinction had to be made between fast learners and slow learners.  In high school those who were just hoping for a school degree versus those wanting a regent's diploma versus those who wanted AP to be noticed by certain colleges.  Now all materials can be down loaded and replayed to meet a student's need.  Add to that most districts in WNY have been or are under financial stress.  One of the fallouts to come out of the pandemic will be fewer businesses to contribute to the taxbase whether it be property taxes or otherwise.  My parents' generation who made the last big wide swath of career pay are dying off and so is there contribution to the school districts.  No way what's left in WNY in most districts will maintain home value when they are making 11.40 at Quick Lube or Walmart when the last owner was an engineer at some area company making three times the wage.

Williamsville school budget. Approved last week.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Williamsville school budget. Approved last week.

I don't know the district so it is impossible for me to evaluate the article.  I still see most WNY districts under financial stress and given the impact of COVID 19 on state coffers expect state aid most likely will be reduced.  Cuomo's statements might be considered softening the eventual blow on district finances.  

Just now, RochesterRob said:

I don't know the district so it is impossible for me to evaluate the article.  I still see most WNY districts under financial stress and given the impact of COVID 19 on state coffers expect state aid most likely will be reduced.  Cuomo's statements might be considered softening the eventual blow on district finances.  

Oh, it is a top school district in WNY. It runs from Amherst through Clarence.  I am attaching a snip of a map as I could not get the link from google.

williamsville.JPG

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Oh, it is a top school district in WNY. It runs from Amherst through Clarence.  I am attaching a snip of a map as I could not get the link from google.

williamsville.JPG

Did I read it right that its annual budget is 199M dollars?  Seems like a lot of money.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Did I read it right that its annual budget is 199M dollars?  Seems like a lot of money.

Williamsville has a *****ton of money living there.

• Like (+1) 1

This is an interesting report.

The Labor Department’s jobless report came in worst than expected as 1.48 million Americans filed for state unemployment benefits during the week ended June 20, marking the 14th straight week that filings remained above 1 million. Economists polled by Dow Jones had expected first-time applications to total 1.35 million.Though the weekly number did disappoint, one bright spot was that the total number of those receiving benefits continued to fall. Total recipients of unemployment benefits, or continuing claims, fell by 767,000 to 19.52 million.

On one hand, you have a stubbornly high amount of people continuing to file for unemployment benefits and on the other you have less overall people receiving them, which shows that there is a lot of rehiring.

This sort of underscores a point that I was making to a friend of mine the other day.  This is not the sort of recovery where everything will just snap back or is fully dependent on whether or not a company is allowed to come online, and smooth sailing ahead.  Even though some of these companies are reopening they are still struggling, they have to operate at less than full capacity.  It's difficult to sustain that for many small businesses, so unless some sort of urgent action of additional stimulus is provided for these small businesses, I do think we will continue to keep seeing lots of layoffs for some time while seeing lots of companies and employees coming back online.

Definitely some crosscurrents are at play.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Magox said:

On one hand, you have a stubbornly high amount of people continuing to file for unemployment benefits and on the other you have less overall people receiving them, which shows that there is a lot of rehiring.

This sort of underscores a point that I was making to a friend of mine the other day.  This is not the sort of recovery where everything will just snap back or is fully dependent on whether or not a company is allowed to come online, and smooth sailing ahead.  Even though some of these companies are reopening they are still struggling, they have to operate at less than full capacity.  It's difficult to sustain that for many small businesses, so unless some sort of urgent action of additional stimulus is provided for these small businesses, I do think we will continue to keep seeing lots of layoffs for some time while seeing lots of companies and employees coming back online.

Does not matter what side of the aisle your politics are this is far from over.  We are seeing temporary improvement because businesses are going to give it their best shot and you can't blame them.  But the damage has been already done for many.  Going to have to see almost a rebirth of the credit industry as businesses will need all kinds of support to stay afloat.  It will be nearly impossible for many businesses to pay a 30 day supplier account on time for a while.  American Express and others will have to resist the urge to throw debtors in the usury prison once the good feelings that go along with buying off the media go away.  

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/25/2020 at 11:02 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

You think Cuomo is going to go against the teacher's union? That would shock me. Right now teachers are collecting from home. (Well, last check as the school year ends.) My niece (a teacher) took her daughter out of daycare and basically built a fort around their house. Funny part? Her SO works in the fire department and saw a ton of people on his days-on and yet no one was allowed near their house until two weeks ago. SMH

...never...NEVER......and probably no Dem would because of the money the Unions provide......have read several articles recently written by AFRICAN-AMERICAN educators who deplore teacher Unions for their fight against Charter Schools......citing Charter Schools as being a critical avenue for aspiring African-American students to escape the abysmal failures of city public school systems....BILLIONS more poured in with lesser results.......denying the aspiring the freedom of choice is repulsive............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Cuomo, de Blasio wrong to limit worship services, condone mass protests: federal judge

New York Gov. coronavirus orders unfairly targeted houses of worship, federal judge says.

A federal judge said New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, Attorney General Letitia James, and New York City Mayor a Bill de Blasio "exceeded" their executive limits by limiting worship services and condoning mass protests as the state continues to reopen from coronavirus restrictions.

</snip>

Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio could have just as easily discouraged protests, short of condemning their message, in the name of public health and exercised discretion to suspend enforcement for public safety reasons instead of encouraging what they knew was a flagrant disregard of the outdoor limits and social distancing rules," the judge added. "They could have also been silent. But by acting as they did, Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio sent a clear message that mass protests are deserving of preferential treatment."

</snip>

As a result of the federal order, Cuomo, James, and de Blasio are "enjoined and restrained from enforcing any indoor gathering limitations” against the involved houses of worship “greater than imposed for Phase 2 industries,” provided that participants follow the prescribed social distancing.

They are also forbidden from “enforcing any limitation for outdoor gatherings provided that participants in such gatherings follow social distancing requirements as set forth in the applicable executive orders and guidance.”

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 2

Masks are a tool, useful in the right application.

They’ve become a political fetish object for reasons that have nothing to do with their utility.

Truth........

N-95-MASK-DAMAGE-315x600.png

Our nurses deserve a lot more respect than they usually get.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 3

On 6/25/2020 at 3:30 PM, Magox said:

BLS

The Bureau of Labor Statistic also estimates that there are another 9 million people not in the work force who would like jobs ...

"The number of persons not in the labor force who currently want a job, at 9.0 million,declined by 954,000 in May, after increasing by 4.4 million in April. These individuals were not counted as unemployed because they were not actively looking for work during the last 4 weeks or were unavailable to take a job"

BLS Stats

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The Bureau of Labor Statistic also estimates that there are another 9 million people not in the work force who would like jobs ...

"The number of persons not in the labor force who currently want a job, at 9.0 million,declined by 954,000 in May, after increasing by 4.4 million in April. These individuals were not counted as unemployed because they were not actively looking for work during the last 4 weeks or were unavailable to take a job"

BLS Stats

Huh.....where have we heard this before?  ?