There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

On 5/31/2020 at 11:33 AM, Magox said:

Im not sure how they tally it up but with that sort of rise, I would imagine that it did rise substantially over the past month.   Maybe @GG would know

On 5/31/2020 at 12:04 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

That’s one positive to take from all this. If there are not major outbreaks in LA, NYC, Chicago et al, within 10-14 days, we will know we were lied to about the virus. 

And there will be no reason to deny us football, concerts or other large events. 

8 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Right B-Man. :( 

Like lots people here. Means so well. Proud to be around some amazing people. To chat here with everything. 

image.thumb.jpeg.032bb340f140ea7fe5916bd067d0834a.jpeg

Edited by Nanker
  • Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Nanker said:

image.thumb.jpeg.032bb340f140ea7fe5916bd067d0834a.jpeg

This is dangerous propaganda you are spreading Nanker. You just made the list. Saint Stalin would not approve. I see re-education in your future. Which FEMA district do you live in. It is never too early to make a reservation.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

This is dangerous propaganda you are spreading Nanker. You just made the list. Saint Stalin would not approve. I see re-education in your future. Which FEMA district do you live in. It is never too early to make a reservation.

Actually, I live right next to a reservation of the Wampanoag tribe. I'll go there later today and turn myself in.

Should I wear a mask though, or carry a torch? 

:unsure:

1 minute ago, Nanker said:

Actually, I live right next to a reservation of the Wampanoag tribe. I'll go there later today and turn myself in.

Should I wear a mask though, or carry a torch? 

:unsure:

I suggest walking in backwards and telling them you are leaving. It will prevent any potential violence before they take you into custody. We need more white men like you. Spread the word.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

Incredible. Protesting the actual infringement of Constitutional rights by Governors saying you cannot pursue happiness by running your legal business to provide for your family isn’t in the same orbit ? The same orbit as protesting some unfounded “ feelz” that everyone and everything around you is somehow unacceptably racist but just don’t know it ?  My goodness , how have these politicians managed to get elected ? 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

HYPOCRITE !

On the plus side, it is good to see these governors realize we have a 1st amendment that says we have freedoms of association (& religion, & the press, & speech, & to petition for the redress of grievances).  Unfortunately they don't seem to realize all those others in the parentheses are also covered.

Truly don't know how they'll ever get people to agree to a lockdown again unless the disease roars back with a biblical vengeance in the next 2-3 weeks.  Even then, hard to see people going along again.

In my county there are still exactly 2 deaths attributed to the virus with barely over 100 total acknowledged cases.  Good luck shutting down all our businesses and restaurants again.

• Like (+1) 1

Summer school can happen in Illinois (limited in-person instruction). 

</snip>

In accordance with Phase Three of the state's reopening plan and public health guidance, the number of individuals in one space will be limited to ten or fewer. Additionally, schools will be required to ensure compliance to social distancing guidelines "to the greatest extent possible."

</snip>

• Thank you (+1) 1

You don’t think this is all political? I have branch offices in the four major cities in California. Our Southern California office in suburban Los Angeles returned to work this week. (LA County is the only thing close to ‘hot spot’ in the entire state.) But, my Northern California offices are still on orders to stay closed. There wasn’t a single death and virtually no new cases in all of Sacramento or the entire Bay Area yesterday and their overall Covid numbers look more like rural Montana than they do NYC. Why are these people at home and these businesses still closed? 

Holy Crap!

Employment stunningly rose by 2.5 million in May and the jobless rate declined to 13.3% according to data Friday from the Labor Department that was far better than economists had been expecting and indicated that an economic turnaround could be close at hand.

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been expecting payrolls to drop by 8.333 million and the unemployment rate to rise to 19.5% from April’s 14.7%. If Wall Street expectations had been accurate, it would have been the worst figure since the Great Depression. As it turned out, May’s numbers showed the U.S. may well be on the road to recovery after its fastest plunge in history.

Stock market futures burst higher following the report and indicated an open of nearly 600 points higher for the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

The May gain was by far the biggest one-month jobs gain in U.S. history since at least 1939.

If the hole is not as deep as feared to dig ourselves out of, we could possibly see 8% unemployment over the next 6 months. 

What a blockbuster and surprising number!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

On 6/1/2020 at 9:33 AM, plenzmd1 said:

This piece nails what my thoughts have been since about mid to late April, when real data and facts started to emerge and decisions could be based on science and not models.These lockdowns, while not scientifically correct, also disproportionately affect those at the lower end of the economic spectrum. The very same people "far left liberals" pretend to always fight for, are getting devastated , and may not recover.

BTW, i really like Muhammad El-Erain, wicked smart dude.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2020-06-01/great-unequalizer

I'm a huge fan of Muhammad El-Erian.  I remember when he used to be with PIMCO and whenever he or Bill Gross had something to say, I listened.

These guys for me are some of the most brilliant macro analysts in the world.  Typically, the bonds guys are the cream of the crop.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Magox said:

Holy Crap!

If the hole is not as deep as feared to dig ourselves out of, we could possibly see 8% unemployment over the next 6 months. 

What a blockbuster and surprising number!

I think a good portion has to do with the Payroll Protection $$ coming through and employers offering jobs back to their staff.

I think Congress is mumbling about keeping the unemployment $600 kicker in place beyond July.  If they let that expire, then people intentionally sitting on the sidelines will come flooding back to work.  Then if they announce schools will be in-person come September, all stops are out (except for a big re-spike in Covid, which I don’t think will happen).

• Like (+1) 1