There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well I wouldn’t be surprised if Alameda gave him a sweet deal on the plant. The Tesla plant is the old Nissan plant in Fremont. He “just” moved into the empty space. 

Normal part of business. Alameda has no good reason to buck the rest of the state. Hell, just look at the number of recent Covid deaths as of this morning. Sort it by 'new deaths.' CA literally has zero. Yes, we're not out of it, but for the love of Pete, they should open the hell up and let Tesla get back to work.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Normal part of business. Alameda has no good reason to buck the rest of the state. Hell, just look at the number of recent Covid deaths as of this morning. Sort it by 'new deaths.' CA literally has zero. Yes, we're not out of it, but for the love of Pete, they should open the hell up and let Tesla get back to work.

All six Bay Area counties (for whatever reason) are lagging the rest of the state regarding phase 2. They were the first to go shelter in place and likely the last to ease the restrictions. 

https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/amp/Bay-Area-reopen-business-retail-date-when-Stage-2-15258890.php

34 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Well I wouldn’t be surprised if Alameda gave him a sweet deal on the plant. The Tesla plant is the old Nissan plant in Fremont. He “just” moved into the empty space. 

The old Toyota/GM JV facility in Fremont.   He did get a nice deal on a full assembly & stamping plant in one spot.  But he also struck some nice deals to equip his state of the art manufacturing.   That was a major part of the early delays, because of the automation on the assembly line.  It's one of very few facilities where the entire car is built in a single facility (except the battery)

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

No way people feel safe now. And no way people will feel safe being crammed into a flying tube. Not unless there is instant testing. 

And this is interesting, 1968 pandemic https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hong_Kong_flu

I disagree. Some will not fly, others most definitely will. People take the NY subway every day, for example. For me personally, as soon as I can fly somewhere to get on a beach I will do so. I don’t think I’m the only one. No middle passenger and it’s fine. Turn the air overhead on blast and wipe everything down ( which I’ve done for years anyway). Instant testing is a pipe dream at the moment, and probably for a long time. 

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I got an email last week from my wife with the subject line HOLY CRAP. She found round trip tickets to St Thomas (we rent a house in St John on a regular basis) for $337 with only one stop in Miami. She was very ready to pull the trigger. Does anyone know if the USVI beaches are open?  ?

Chef, I’ve been checking similar fights to STT ( though I usually stay on Sapphire Beach). Prices are decent right now. Most recent news I’ve seen is that USVI is planning for a June 1 reopening to tourists if all goes well. Beaches are open now I believe but not hotels for tourists and no flights have resumed yet. I’m expecting no middle seat passengers and perhaps some type of test before boarding stateside. Our usual is St Maarten but I think they might be closed down longer than USVI. 

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

OK? But he asked if people would be willing to fly. A lot of the answer will be in found in how much an airline ticket costs. 

Agreed that will be part of it. I’m definitely willing ( and expecting) to pay a higher cost with no middle seat passenger. That’s a worthwhile upgrade even without WuFlu. 

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

I hope he pulls out, sets up shop in Texas, and tells Alameda to eff itself in the process. It's stunning to me how many people hate him simply because he isn't falling in line with leftist desires to crush the economy. Just stunning.

And I'm certain that Texas would be very glad to have him. 

• Like (+1) 4

20 hours ago, shoshin said:

Funny, had the CBS news on this morning in the background, they showed only a portion of this clip that it sound like FULL lockdown was being continued in the UK..despicable

12 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

People will fly, slowly at first  but surely. ( stop calling me Shirley lol..) Just like they did after 9/11, 

I would fly today..the HEPA filtration systems in planes are awesome..and i was on a flight to Vegas with wife and MIL about 3 days after airports opened up again 9/11. Had something like a 8:30 AM flight, got in line for security at 5:30 AM..still barely made it through on time.

BTW, you may remember way back in 04, a specific BA flight between Dulles and Heathrow, and vice versa, kept being cancelled due to security concerns. I needed to get back and forth to London, and i stayed on those figuring what flight(s) would ever be safer? But, on the fiorst on 223 to IAD, hit a massive airpocket over the coast of Ireland, the whole of the plane, including me, figured it ws a bomb and we were goners. Never forget it

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

I got an email last week from my wife with the subject line HOLY CRAP. She found round trip tickets to St Thomas (we rent a house in St John on a regular basis) for $337 with only one stop in Miami. She was very ready to pull the trigger. Does anyone know if the USVI beaches are open?  ?

We are schedule for a euro trip with friends in August, figuring that will not happen, so prolly going the beach way as well. 

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

It's stunning to me how many people hate him simply because he isn't falling in line with leftist desires to crush the economy. Just stunning.

I thought he was a toad before this, but havegrownn to like him in the last 8 weeks.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GG said:

The old Toyota/GM JV facility in Fremont.   He did get a nice deal on a full assembly & stamping plant in one spot.  But he also struck some nice deals to equip his state of the art manufacturing.   That was a major part of the early delays, because of the automation on the assembly line.  It's one of very few facilities where the entire car is built in a single facility (except the battery)

Sorry. It was a NUMMI so I was close. LOL

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I disagree. Some will not fly, others most definitely will. People take the NY subway every day, for example. For me personally, as soon as I can fly somewhere to get on a beach I will do so. I don’t think I’m the only one. No middle passenger and it’s fine. Turn the air overhead on blast and wipe everything down ( which I’ve done for years anyway). Instant testing is a pipe dream at the moment, and probably for a long time. 

Chef, I’ve been checking similar fights to STT ( though I usually stay on Sapphire Beach). Prices are decent right now. Most recent news I’ve seen is that USVI is planning for a June 1 reopening to tourists if all goes well. Beaches are open now I believe but not hotels for tourists and no flights have resumed yet. I’m expecting no middle seat passengers and perhaps some type of test before boarding stateside. Our usual is St Maarten but I think they might be closed down longer than USVI. 

As long as the beaches are open in St John I don’t care. We don’t do much else while we are there anyway. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

In Pennsylvania, the governor is threatening to pull liquor licenses and funding for the counties planning to defy the state reopening "sequence."  I reside in a county that is preparing a plan to slowly winch up the middle finger to said sequence.  

https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/2020/05/wolf-threatens-funding-license-cuts-if-counties-move-to-reopen-in-pa-without-his-approval.html

https://www.ldnews.com/story/news/2020/05/11/gov-wolf-punches-back-consequences-going-yellow-too-soon/3110487001/

• Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

In Pennsylvania, the governor is threatening to pull liquor licenses and funding for the counties planning to defy the state reopening "sequence."  I reside in a county that is preparing a plan to slowly winch up the middle finger to said sequence.  

https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/2020/05/wolf-threatens-funding-license-cuts-if-counties-move-to-reopen-in-pa-without-his-approval.html

https://www.ldnews.com/story/news/2020/05/11/gov-wolf-punches-back-consequences-going-yellow-too-soon/3110487001/

Wolf is a full bag of *****.

• Thank you (+1) 2