There should be a national dialogue in getting back to work

Magox

Today was the day Shelley Luther and other hair salon owners in the great state of Texas were able to get back to work serving their clients. Senator Ted Cruz was among the first to show up at Luther’s salon for a haircut, as Fox News reports:

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz showed his support for recently jailed stylist Shelley Luther by getting a haircut at her now controversial Salon à la Mode.

“We’re thrilled to be with you and know the whole State of Texas is standing with you, so thank you for your courage,” Cruz told Luther.

Cruz told Luther he hasn’t had a hair cut in about three months, and that his wife Heidi even warned he would “start bringing mullets back,” if he didn’t do something soon.

At one point during his visit, Luther started crying, thanking Cruz for his support, “When people reach out with true authenticity, it’s huge,” she said.

Luther told CBS 11 News, “It’s a nice gesture. His family actually called my boyfriend and prayed for him for 20 minutes while I was in jail. To me that’s not political… that’s just really nice people reaching out and making sure that our family is okay.”

Cruz’s trip to Luther’s salon, and his haircut, was livestreamed by local news outlets:

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/7/2020 at 11:46 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Cuomo should be opening some counties soon. He did that to a lesser extent with elective surgeries (all the counties except the ones with major cities could have elective surgeries).  This is a good map, although I am not sure about any of the WNY counties (other than Erie) having any type of problem? Maybe lack of hospital beds?

On a NYSADA webinar that is discussing this. They have a slide detailing how close ALL regions in NY are to reopening by complying with Sugar Nipple's decree. Not one region is ready. The one area that not a single region can comply with is the contact tracing requirement. 

They also told us a bit of good news. Sugar Nipples is getting so much heat from county executives about the outlandish requirements that they are hinting that he may allow single counties to reopen. Steve McLoughlin, Rensselaer County Executive said when his county alone meets the requirements, he will just reopen. He was elected, the unelected bureaucrat Sugar Nipples puts in to oversee region wasn't. Onondaga County's Executive earlier this week gave car dealers permission to reopen showrooms in defiance of Sugar Nipple's shutdown order to generate sales tax revenue. Last night, Sugar Nipple's let all car dealers statewide do the same. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

On a NYSADA webinar that is discussing this. They have a slide detailing how close ALL regions in NY are to reopening by complying with Sugar Nipple's decree. Not one region is ready. The one area that not a single region can comply with is the contact tracing requirement. 

They also told us a bit of good news. Sugar Nipples is getting so much heat from county executives about the outlandish requirements that they are hinting that he may allow single counties to reopen. Steve McLoughlin, Rensselaer County Executive said when his county alone meets the requirements, he will just reopen. He was elected, the unelected bureaucrat Sugar Nipples puts in to oversee region wasn't. Onondaga County's Executive earlier this week gave car dealers permission to reopen showrooms in defiance of Sugar Nipple's shutdown order to generate sales tax revenue. Last night, Sugar Nipple's let all car dealers statewide do the same. 

Good to see some of the counties are starting to revolt.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

Good to see some of the counties are starting to revolt.

They should. To meet Lord Cuomo’s requirements, Erie County needs to test 27,500 people a month. That’s the Covid 19 test, not the antibody test - the antibody test isn’t part of Cuomo’s plan. They’re about 300 people a day short of that right now. They also need 280 contact tracers - to be hired by the State I think ,when they decide to get around to it. The county currently has 20 , so they need to hire another 260. These numbers are ridiculous, and the contact tracing is probably not even the right tool to use at this point as the virus is too widespread. At this rate, Erie county will be shut down until some time next year. There is already a  200 million deficit from being shut down a month and a half. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Moral narcissists are helping to make sure America’s COVID-19 lockdown continues in full force, shaming anyone who objects, refuses, questions, or even simply voices concerns or complaints.

I Know Best: How Moral Narcissism Is Destroying Our Republic, If It Hasn’t Already is the title of Roger Simon’s fascinating 2016 book on the subject of moral narcissism. Simon described this particular kind of narcissism as a “far more lethal form” that is destroying “our families, friendships, workplace atmosphere, and democratic republic.” That kind of lethality infecting the “cure” for a pandemic could certainly produce an outcome much worse than that of the virus itself.

Simon describes the feelings of the moral narcissist this way:

What you believe, or claim to believe or say you believe—not what you do or how you act or what the results of your actions may be—defines you as a person and makes you “good.” It is how your life will be judged by others and by yourself…

If your intentions are good, if they conform to the general received values of your friends, family, and co-workers, what a person of your class and social milieu is supposed to think, everything is fine. You are that “good” person. You are ratified. You can do anything you wish. It doesn’t matter in the slightest what the results of those ideas and beliefs are, or how society, the country, and in some cases, the world suffers from them. It doesn’t matter that they misfire completely, cause terror attacks, illness, death, riots in the inner city, or national bankruptcy. You will be applauded and approved of.

We’re supposed to think that the continued shutdowns over the coronavirus are good. Those who dare to ask about the science and models behind lockdown orders, the increasing collateral damage to our economy, or the difference between dying with or dying of the virus, much less the deaths that are happening because of the shutdown—receive swift judgment from the moral narcissists. Not in the form of factual or intelligent answers, but rather, questions framed to shame:

Don’t you care about granny? Do you want more people to die? Is the economy more important to you than people’s lives?

For the moral narcissist, Simon quipped, “A trip to Whole Foods in a Tesla became the equivalent of striking a blow against world hunger.”

Today, wearing a mask while you shop (and only for “essentials”)—plus making sure everyone else wears one and also stays 6 feet away—has become the equivalent of saving people from dying.

These moral narcissists don’t trouble themselves with facts, such as the reality that everyone dies, eventually, or that even before COVID-19 most people who died were elderly, and that most residents who moved into nursing homes were well over the age of average life expectancy and stayed less than six months (and that wasn’t because they checked out and decided to move instead to a condo in Florida).

Neither “quarantine the healthy” nor “social distancing” are even remotely considered oxymoronic phrases by the moral narcissists, who also don’t seem to worry about the psychological impacts of it all (especially) on our children and our nation’s social cohesion and psyche.

Even though one-size-fits-all versions of anything rarely fit anyone at all, the narcissists still insist on this style of sweeping, draconian strategies to combat the virus. The individuals suffering from lack of proper medical care for other conditions, unemployment, etc., are but specks in the narcissist’s imagined grand picture of the greater good for the collective.

If the call to action in the name of public health has revealed the inner dictator in many of our government officials, they’ve found their own army of volunteer enforcers—the moral narcissists not only in the media but in our own neighborhoods. Their shutdown orders may not be constitutional, but by golly, they are moral!

If it only saves one life! And if you disagree with that precept, you could go to jail—not for being guilty of what used to be considered an actual crime, but for failing to comply with these do-gooders’ conceptions of morality.

More at the link:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

That’s a Trump/CDC requirement too. Other states are pretty much ignoring it but it originated from the top and is an important piece to have in place. 

@B-Man the Roger Simon piece is an interesting social commentary. I didn’t want to quote it al but I just wanted to thank you for sharing it. It is meta to post it in a place like this where the moral lecturers are the dominant breed. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, shoshin said:

That’s a Trump/CDC requirement too. Other states are pretty much ignoring it but it originated from the top and is an important piece to have in place. 

@B-Man the Roger Simon piece is an interesting social commentary. I didn’t want to quote it al but I just wanted to thank you for sharing it. It is meta to post it in a place like this where the moral lecturers are the dominant breed. 

I love flipping the bird to virtue signallers and shamers. ***** them and their feelings.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

A small but growing number of county officials are challenging Gov. Tom Wolf’s control of the state’s staged, regional reopening from the coronavirus pandemic lockdowns, with majority commissioners in two midstate counties unilaterally declaring Friday that they will consider their counties in the “yellow” phase of the state’s reopening plan effective May 15.

Letters from a group of Lebanon County officials and Dauphin County Commissioner Jeff Haste echoed a similar protest from Beaver County, the only county in western Pennsylvania to be excluded from Wolf’s announced extension of first-phase reopening steps in southwestern Pennsylvania next Friday.

In addition, sheriffs in Perry and Cumberland posted Facebook notices stating that they would not be a part of enforcing business shutdown orders.

More at the link.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, B-Man said:

A small but growing number of county officials are challenging Gov. Tom Wolf’s control of the state’s staged, regional reopening from the coronavirus pandemic lockdowns, with majority commissioners in two midstate counties unilaterally declaring Friday that they will consider their counties in the “yellow” phase of the state’s reopening plan effective May 15.

Letters from a group of Lebanon County officials and Dauphin County Commissioner Jeff Haste echoed a similar protest from Beaver County, the only county in western Pennsylvania to be excluded from Wolf’s announced extension of first-phase reopening steps in southwestern Pennsylvania next Friday.

In addition, sheriffs in Perry and Cumberland posted Facebook notices stating that they would not be a part of enforcing business shutdown orders.

More at the link.

The Pittsburgh Sand Party. 

No business, no restaurant is going to survive on slow re open 25 or 50 percent capacity for God knows how long.  

No one is thinking any of this through.  

The data is telling us who is at risk.  We need to be full open.  Impose sanitation regulations and all that for sure with employees in masks, etc.  Work with Governments in trying to get proper ventilation systems however those may work where possible.  

Let the healthy folks under 50 with zero comorbidities drive the recovery and get out there and live their lives.  Yea you might get it.....and guess what you'll be fine.  The data is telling us this.  Don't want to go out?  Then don't go out. 

I want someone to explain since we're going to be a nation of massive germaphobes how in the world any business is supposed to survive based on all these phased slow re opening guidelines you're seeing.  The media instead of asking these questions has decided to focus on baseless science and that ANY re open is going to kill us all.  Everyone in Georgia....dead.  They're all going to die.  No model can take into account that we are all going to do our part to not put others at risk we arent going to sneeze and breath in each others faces.  They are going to be sanitizing everything everywhere.  That's it.  Good luck everyone.  This will pass eventually.  I'd like to see my kids play their sports and live their lives.  Don't worry I'll be sitting in the stands 6 feet away from you.  

The current trajectory of all this is "nope....you will be in bubbles until Bill gets his vaccine."  Sorry the data says no we don't have to wait for that and it may never happen anyway.  

I'm so freaking over this.  So done.  We were told have to make sure hospitals aren't overwhelmed.....not "till no one else dies."  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

57 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No business, no restaurant is going to survive on slow re open 25 or 50 percent capacity for God knows how long.  

The data is telling us who is at risk.  We need to be full open.  Impose sanitation regulations and all that for sure with employees in masks, etc.  Work with Governments in trying to get proper ventilation systems however those may work where possible.  

Let the healthy folks under 50 with zero comorbidities drive the recovery and get out there and live their lives.  Yea you might get it.....and guess what you'll be fine.  The data is telling us this.  Don't want to go out?  Then don't go out. 

I want someone to explain since we're going to be a nation of massive germaphobes how in the world any business is supposed to survive based on all these phased slow re opening guidelines you're seeing.  The media instead of asking these questions has decided to focus on baseless science and that ANY re open is going to kill us all.  Everyone in Georgia....dead.  They're all going to die.  No model can take into account that we are all going to do our part to not put others at risk we arent going to sneeze and breath in each others faces.  They are going to be sanitizing everything everywhere.  That's it.  Good luck everyone.  This will pass eventually.  I'd like to see my kids play their sports and live their lives.  Don't worry I'll be sitting in the stands 6 feet away from you.  

The current trajectory of all this is "nope....you will be in bubbles until Bill gets his vaccine."  Sorry the data says no we don't have to wait for that and it may never happen anyway.  

I'm so freaking over this.  So done.  We were told have to make sure hospitals aren't overwhelmed.....not "till no one else dies."  

I agree, but the liberal politicians are  thinking it through. It’s a planned destruction of the economy coupled with a mental beat down and manipulation of the populace. Cuomo and other Governors are joining forces. Irrational fear is being pushed along with social shaming to suspend our liberties, and to label the rational and motivated as pariahs. Entrepreneurs as selfish, heartless killers. The goal is to win the November election , then implement a massive expansion of government. Those allowed to be employed will largely work from home; small businesses will shrink and huge swaths of the population will be forced onto government benefits. This will be achieved through the current brainwashing of those who watch the LSM news; any further deaths by Covid 19 must be avoided at any cost- even the dismantling of the country - to achieve a “ greater good”. It is sold as the “ morally superior “ choice , and any who disagree are an uncaring minority who must be punished. A new, more “ socially just “ and “ economically equal” country where more accept less must be “ reimagined” due to the virus. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

...EXACTLY....how does one expect to get people off the additional unemployment stipend of $600 per week?......thought I read a significant portion of unemployment claims are from restaurant workers...so why go back at 25 or 50% capacity and gamble on your tips when you're guaranteed $600 per week?......don't need to be a Jethro "gozinta" math wizard to figure that out....

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

The Pittsburgh Sand Party. 

...PA shutdown ground our branch PA construction office to a halt.....a $5+ million/yr company segment employing 20+ employees including Union electricians.....a very high pay and benefits scale.....NJ shutdown shuttered our branch office of $2 mil/yr and furloughs for 6 Union electricians...yet our electrical construction services are deemed ESSENTIAL in NY......NO damn consistency........

• Like (+1) 1