Cam to be released today

8 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

Are you suggesting the winning with Cassel was sustainable over subsequent seasons? 

nope I didn’t suggest that . I merely was pointing out that New England didn’t exactly collapse with no Brady. Though I believe KC made the playoffs the following year when they had Cassel.  So probably was not a quite a one off .

On 3/24/2020 at 10:10 AM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

They can’t afford him plus BB is not dealing with his attitude or ego

100 bucks says they roll with Tyrod since he’s being paid and they roll with a rookie in the draft. Plus newton turned down a trade to the chargers

I say he’s signing with Miami. They reportedly said they want to go into the season with 4 QBS on their roster. Assuming they don’t trade Rosen 

you can do a lot to afford guys without drastic changes in the roster 

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

nope I didn’t suggest that . I merely was pointing out that New England didn’t exactly collapse with no Brady. Though I believe KC made the playoffs the following year when they had Cassel.  So probably was not a quite a one off .

The 2008 Patriots had a far more talented roster than the 2020 Pats.

Welker, Randy Moss, and a young Ben Watson. Kevin Faulk, Lawrence Maroney, and Sammy Morris at RB.

Defense had Wilfork, Bruschi, Seymor, Mayo, Merriweather, and Vrabel. And even Junior Seau as a backup.

The current roster looks nothing like that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Fair point. ?

time will tell 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Not true for BBs case. Brady’s departure alone put them over 13.5 million in dead money 

meh. If they thought it was securing their qb of the future- to create space I’d say they would be willing to look into restructuring a few guys and giving a qb a deal that’s signing bonus heavy. 

it’s a commitment to a few guys to be there a bit but not thaaaaat difficult. Just have to bet on the right people.

4 hours ago, dneveu said:

Not being able to do a physical is going to be tough for him right now.  His shoulder issue in 2018 was still showing up in 2019 before the ankle ended last season prematurely.  If he's sapped of arm strength, and isn't able to run the ball as much - he really isn't the same QB that he was.  

that’s the larger issue here. A short term deal has little flexibility in structure. If they trust him on a 4-5 year option they can do a lot more to flow money how they want. 

• 3 months later...
On 3/24/2020 at 11:06 AM, Bangarang said:

Probably going to NE

On 3/24/2020 at 11:59 AM, Mat68 said:

This is what Ive been thinking.  Its either Cam or tank.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:00 PM, purple haze said:

He coached Lawrence Taylor.  Cam Newton is nothing like L.T. off the field.  And L.T. had a serious ego too.  Most players do, let alone the top players in the game.  Belicheck's cup-o-tea is winning.  Cam could wind up there.

On 3/24/2020 at 12:12 PM, Mike in Horseheads said:

Patriots sign him yet?

On 3/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, billsherd said:

Going to NE,

On 3/24/2020 at 12:58 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Absolutely it is. The Patriots make a lot of sense now and apparently McDaniels wants him.

On 3/24/2020 at 1:30 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

It's easy for NE to work around their cap problems.  They can either sign him to a long term contract & spread the bonus out, or sign him to a 2 year deal at a low 2020 salary with incentives that include a big roster bonus in March 2021 where if he hits the incentives his contract for 2021, including the March roster bonus, is all guaranteed.  Then he can either play on the contract or renegotiate.  If Cam is willing to bet on himself, like Sherman did in SF, a deal with NE can be reached. 

On 3/24/2020 at 5:02 PM, Scott7975 said:

Seriously?  I don't think Cam is that great, but he is going to be a starter somewhere.  There is zero chance he is signing with Buffalo to ride the bench.  Likely he will end up on the Pats unless they are trying to lose every game.

On 3/25/2020 at 12:05 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

Cam has been an E-P offensive player for the majority of his career and had his best seasons playing for Mike Shula in the scheme. So in terms of his schematic fit, New England makes a lot of sense. Shula is now in Denver as the QB coach and Shurmur is the OC..he’s a west coast guy. So the fit does make sense in NE. 

Winner, winner!  Chicken dinner!   These posters all called Cam to the Pats in March!   Congrats, dudes (and dudettes if there are any of that persuasion)!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/26/2020 at 2:21 PM, Iamkrgr said:

I wouldn't be least bit surprised if Cam has a better year than Teddy next season.

I could see that. I don’t think the Panthers will win more than 5 games. But they are starting over and Cam wasn’t part of their rebuild. 

On 3/24/2020 at 8:27 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s what we need to worry about with Allen.  No matter how big you are, those nfl hits caught up.  

And Newton was completing 67% of his passes before he hurt his shoulder 2 years ago and a MVP candidate.  Healthy, he’s a top 10 qb.  Of course, health is the question.

Good point. Signed Hayneswortgh. Antonio Brown. Randy Moss. Chad Johnson. Corey Dillion. Gronk. Aaron Hernandez.  Coke head Ryan Mallett.  Chandler Jones. 

excellent point. 

?

7 hours ago, SoTier said:

Winner, winner!  Chicken dinner!   These posters all called Cam to the Pats in March!   Congrats, dudes (and dudettes if there are any of that persuasion)!

With pretty much every FA that hits the market, there are always a number of posters that say "Going to NE" without fail.  This was no different.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

In hindsight, do you wish the Bills had signed Cam to a similar basement dollar incentive laden deal like the *Pats did if for no other reason than to keep him off of the roster of the team that has eaten your lunch for the past two decades?

Tbh I don’t think they could have, so can’t answer that. You need it to work both ways when you sign someone and Cam would not have seen the Bills - or any team with a young QB to which they are invested - as a good opportunity to compete for a starting job and therefore maximize his opportunity for his next contract. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This thread title made me think some crazy BB Cam stuff happened.  I’m disappointed 

Sorry to get your hopes up, but I thought that those posters who were right back in March ought to be acknowledged.  If you read back through the thread, the posters picking Cam to go to NE weren't all that numerous.  There were probably more who thought that Cam would never end up there.

• Like (+1) 1

If I understand, this thread was brought up to chest-thump anyone who guessed Cam's landing spot correctly.

I agree with @Over 29 years of fanhood that the word "Today" in the title is misleading. 

The call-out purpose could have been accomplished by creating a link to the thread and posting it in the current thread.

To create a link on a computer, click on the time and date stamp in the upper left corner and copy/paste the URL

On a mobile device, it varies but if you know it can be done, you can usually figure it out.