Cam to be released today

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

This team, with another quality RB, would be able to go at least .500 with Dalton. If allen goes down and we're 5-2, that's what we'd need.

That's why I said Dalton, Flacco, Cam, and Winston in that order.  I'd be more worried about the culture if a desperate Newton or Winston came here but it would be worth the risk to upgrade from Barkley.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Probably going to NE

I’d be stunned if it was NE. I can’t think of a player that would fit less with BB and the “ Patriot way” ( ugh) than Cam Newton. His mercurial nature and general flamboyance make it a no go. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, stuvian said:

I stand with the dissenters who like Newton. Sure he's got a big ego and he backs it up too. It ain't bragging if you do it. He broke Peyton Manning's rookie passing records and people are comparing him to Andy Dalton. Those people can get their eyesight checked when they get their Covid 19 tests. He brought a mediocre offensive squad to a SB and it was all him - junk receivers and RBs. Flamboyant wardrobes don't make you a thug. If he regains his health he can have a John Elway type career. I predict a Kurt Warner like resurgence on his next assignment - as long as it isn't Cincy. 

There is one flaw in your argument .  Kurt Warner was a very good QB and is in the Hall of Fame .    

Cam was at best an average QB who ,  barring some type of major career resurgence, will never sniff the Hall of Fame.  Check out his career stats.  For his career,  he has less than 60% completion percentage and QB rating of only 86.1. Compare these mediocre numbers  to QBs like Rodgers ,  Wilson , Brady  who  have  career completion percentages well north of 60% and QB ratings in high 90s low 100s.         Even  in his  "MVP "season in 2015,  Cam was not the best QB in the NFL as other QBs including Carson Palmer performed much better...   People don't  give enough credit to the Carolina defense which was something like no 6 overall during that season .   Offense was not even in top   10.  So to me saying that Cam carried the team raises a few eyebrows.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

There is one flaw in your argument .  Kurt Warner was a very good QB and is in the Hall of Fame .    

Cam was at best an average QB who ,  barring some type of major career resurgence, will never sniff the Hall of Fame.  Check out his career stats.  For his career,  he has less than 60% completion percentage and QB rating of only 86.1. Compare these mediocre numbers  to QBs like Rodgers ,  Wilson , Brady  who  have  career completion percentages well north of 60% and QB ratings in high 90s low 100s.         Even  in his  "MVP "season in 2015,  Cam was not the best QB in the NFL as other QBs including Carson Palmer performed much better...   People don't  give enough credit to the Carolina defense which was something like no 6 overall during that season .   Offense was not even in top   10.  So to me saying that Cam carried the team raises a few eyebrows.

Cam was better than average for much of his career and was phenomenal in 2015. He was tied for 2nd in passing TD's on very good efficiency, added an extra 10 TDs rushing, and 600 yards on the ground, and lead the #1 offense in points scored, and 10th in yards, with Greg Olsen at TE as his #1 (who is a great TE). His WR group consisted of Tedd Ginn Jr, who managed to have the second best season of his career with a 45% catch rate, the corpse of Jerricho Cotchery, and rookie Devin Funchess.

There are wrong takes and then there are these.  Jesus.

• Like (+1) 2

Cam had a few good years, it’s the oh people are racist that’s why they don’t like him crap that annoys me.

Manziel had the same kind of flash and cockiness, lots of people liked cheering against him too. It’s the attitude and side show that creates the love/hate dynamic for players like those. 

10 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

Cam had a few good years, it’s the oh people are racist that’s why they don’t like him crap that annoys me.

Manziel had the same kind of flash and cockiness, lots of people liked cheering against him too. It’s the attitude and side show that creates the love/hate dynamic for players like those. 

I think the difference is that Manziel blows and never accomplished anything. He is a total loser. Cam has had a highly successful career and people sometimes fail to recognize that because they don’t like him. I just think public perception decides how we see of these players sometimes. But people saying that he sucks and whatever is kind of absurd. He was the most electrifying offense player in the league for a couple of years there. 

Edit: It is similar to how people perceived Jay Cutler...he really was not much more of a jerk than Phillip Rivers, but perception of him affected his reputation a lot. Again he did not accomplish what Cam has. But I’d mostly agree on the race thing, there are some people out there who might judge him based on that. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, I hate former MVPs and SB qbs too.  

I never got the hate Cam has gotten.  I bet a lot of the people who don’t like him are very similar looking.  Brady screams at his coaches - passionate.  Rivers talks crap to an opponent - competitor.  Rodgers has a td celebration- confident.  Newton does the same - cocky jerk who isn’t about the team.

i hope he is healthy and signs with a good team.  Guy is a baller and what we should hope Allen comes close to being. 

MVP 

SB

Heisman

National championship 

Most rushing yards for a qb 

rookie passing records

hell, we are building a statue for Allen who can’t sniff Newton’s resume.  

I think Cam’s detractors come in two flavors.  Those that can’t get beyond their own impressions of the polarizing character he is (which is unfortunate, because there’s so much good there) and those like me that are concerned with his downside due to the absolute pounding he’s taken.  

There’s a great argument to be made that Cam is VERY similar in character to how many remember a young Jim Kelly to be.  Cocky, determined and sometimes, even to his detriment.  But when the chips are down, that’s the EXACT guy you want leading your team.  On the other side though, is the question that needs to be asked given his injury history...  Is his potential downside worth risking Allen’s potential upside?  That’s the thing I struggle answering, personally. The fans in Charlotte are rightfully upset.  Cam did a lot for the community.  He would be a tremendous “Buffalo guy”, no question.  But my main question still stands given his injury history (at least for me). 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’d be stunned if it was NE. I can’t think of a player that would fit less with BB and the “ Patriot way” ( ugh) than Cam Newton. His mercurial nature and general flamboyance make it a no go. 

They signed T*m Br*dy's ball boy and he was as mercurial and flamboyance as they get as well as irrational.

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think the difference is that Manziel blows and never accomplished anything. He is a total loser. Cam has had a highly successful career and people sometimes fail to recognize that because they don’t like him. I just think public perception decides how we see of these players sometimes. But people saying that he sucks and whatever is kind of absurd. He was the most electrifying offense player in the league for a couple of years there. 

Ehhh. Lots of people hated Manziel right out of college too. So it’s hard to say he sucked, he was at the top of the game coming out. 

3 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I would be in favor of this happening, as I have always thought very little of Cam as a player, and even less socially as he is a drama queen.

I thought Cam on the field was a dam good player most years. He really for years the most dynamic player in the NFL. I get being put off by his antics and persona but on the field Cam was electrifying to watch for most of his career. He has a winning record (68-55-1) so it isn't a case of a player putting up a lot of empty stats with limited success. I just think that the Panthers ran him into the ground and his mental makeup wasn't always there. 

I kind of hope he sits out 2020 (due to personal choice not because of the pandemic) to get his body healthy and allow him to assess his mental state of mind. I think he can still be a good starting caliber QB if given some time to heal his body and adjust his mental approach to the game. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Limeaid said:

I will give you a few clues: fast frozen feet and helmet controversy.

Okay, Brown. I’m sure it was done to placate Brady, and they quickly regretted their misstep. It’s one thing to think your QB and team can rein in the diva WR. Doesn’t work for the QB. Cam and BB are fire and ice. 

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

ECMUTKuX4AAVubp.jpg

Now show the one where Kelvin Benjamin tried to blame him for him sucking.  Then at the preseason game, Newton went right up to him and tried to have a man to man conversation and Benjamin couldn’t even look him in the eye.  Fat coward.  

so besides that fat loser, where is one teammates who says anything bad about Newton or that he is a “cancer”?

1 hour ago, prissythecat said:

What a load of ?.

his best receiver that year was Ted Ginn.  They went 15-1 and he had 45 tds.  If you think Newton is average, by that logic, Allen is far below average then.

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

You kidding yourself If there isn’t a double standard with newton that other qbs.  Rivers literally yells in opponents faces and he’s just a good ok’ boy who plays hard. Newton does anything it’s like I don’t like his attitude.  

do I think it’s totally racist?  Not entirely but I bet it does play a part.  If Allen did the same stuff, we would love it.  But I think it’s more older fans.  They don’t like flash.  Stevie Johnson, one of the most proud Bills ever, used to get hated on because he played with flash.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

I thought Cam on the field was a dam good player most years. He really for years the most dynamic player in the NFL. I get being put off by his antics and persona but on the field Cam was electrifying to watch for most of his career. He has a winning record (68-55-1) so it isn't a case of a player putting up a lot of empty stats with limited success. I just think that the Panthers ran him into the ground and his mental makeup wasn't always there. 

I kind of hope he sits out 2020 (due to personal choice not because of the pandemic) to get his body healthy and allow him to assess his mental state of mind. I think he can still be a good starting caliber QB if given some time to heal his body and adjust his mental approach to the game. 

That’s what we need to worry about with Allen.  No matter how big you are, those nfl hits caught up.  

And Newton was completing 67% of his passes before he hurt his shoulder 2 years ago and a MVP candidate.  Healthy, he’s a top 10 qb.  Of course, health is the question.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

Good point. Signed Hayneswortgh. Antonio Brown. Randy Moss. Chad Johnson. Corey Dillion. Gronk. Aaron Hernandez.  Coke head Ryan Mallett.  Chandler Jones. 

excellent point. 

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

So signing good veteran players is ok unless it's at QB? Would it hurt Josh's feelings? Best player should play. If Cam came in and beat him out (does anyone doubt that he would?) then he deserves to play. We should always be looking to improve at all positions. If Josh is the franchise QB then he should have no problem beating out a washed up Cam Newton right? Not sure why it should be any different than any other position/player.

Tom Brady would be the first to say he succeeded because he didn't take his spot for granted for one second. He knew if he didn't perform that Belichick would have no problem replacing him. They drafted QB's all the time, always looking to improve. Not sure why other teams feel the need to baby their QB and are scared to hurt their feelings. If a good player is available and he wants to come in on a prove it deal then why wouldn't we be looking to improve at all positions?

I agree with you to a point.  I want the best team possible.  I hate that we’re ok with a subpar backup like Barkley. 

that said, they couldn’t possibly sign guys like Winston or Newton.  One, they would never be happy sitting behind Allen.  Two, you can’t risk them beating Allen out in camp.  That would be a mess.  So I do get why they won’t sign him but that type of thinking could cost us a playoff spot if Matt Barkley and his 65 career qb rating has to play. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That’s what we need to worry about with Allen.  No matter how big you are, those nfl hits caught up.  

And Newton was completing 67% of his passes before he hurt his shoulder 2 years ago and a MVP candidate.  Healthy, he’s a top 10 qb.  Of course, health is the question.

Good point. Signed Hayneswortgh. Antonio Brown. Randy Moss. Chad Johnson. Corey Dillion. Gronk. Aaron Hernandez.  Coke head Ryan Mallett.  Chandler Jones. 

excellent point. 

I agree with almost everything you say in this thread, and am myself a Newton fan. The only thing I'd counter is, when you list out those flamboyant players the Pats took a chance on, none of them were QBs. I think Cam being a QB is what makes him too hot to handle for Belichick. BB would deal with the attitude and diva nature anywhere else, but not QB.

JMO. For all I know, BB will sign him tomorrow. I just dont personally see it as a good match.

edit: My brain skipped Mallet when I first read the post. My bad. But that said, Mallet is no Newton. At any level. Play or personality.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1