Cam to be released today

32 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I could see Cam and Flacco just sitting in the wings until the draft is settled.

Winston might be there with them too.

That was my initial thought. Let the music stop in the game of musical chairs and see where a seat may be available. This probably holds especially true for Cam if he is actually healthy. He will want to be cleared medically.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

It's easy for NE to work around their cap problems.  They can either sign him to a long term contract & spread the bonus out, or sign him to a 2 year deal at a low 2020 salary with incentives that include a big roster bonus in March 2021 where if he hits the incentives his contract for 2021, including the March roster bonus, is all guaranteed.  Then he can either play on the contract or renegotiate.  If Cam is willing to bet on himself, like Sherman did in SF, a deal with NE can be reached. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Minshew has too much a noodle arm to last a career, could be an effective back up but as a starter? I highly doubt it 

You do realize he threw as hard as Mahomes to his right and 2 MPH less to his left right and 10 MPH faster than Watson from combine numbers?

He's not a noodle arm, but he's no where near the highest in arm strength. He had the highest rating in 2019 for all passes over 20 yards.

As to the OP I never liked Newton either. Only 3 good seasons, and 1 of those was elite. The rest of the time he was a great athlete who couldn't throw in the pocket.

1 hour ago, Seoulofstone said:

I think you're very much in the majority but I believe people find it easy to dislike Cam and put down his QB play. Even counting a good (not great) D led by DC McD, he got that team to the SB with a no-name receiving core an average OL and a 15-1 record.

Just 2 years ago he took over a game in Baltimore giving them a beating. He routinely had 300 yard games and dragged the Panthers over the line.

He was a very good franchise QB not in the traditional mold. Funnily, a good equivalent when it comes to putting him down and not accepting his actual achievements is Josh Allen. Of course Newton's persona is much more of a liability than Josh.

The problem here is not just last season. The previous season he missed the last 8 games. Then he made a youtube video where he basically admitted that he lied to staff about how much paIn he was in going into the season. He's destroyed his own credibility.

He wants to win and hates to lose.

This is prerequisite # 1 for any good QB.

He’s a different sort of cat but he isn’t the wheeney some make him out to be.

Find a teammate other the K Benjamin who talked poorly of him. You can’t do it.  
    I wish him well and hope he starts and does well somewhere.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, JackKemp said:

I do not want Cam Newton on the Bills roster at all. A little reminder of what he is like.

I don't even want Cam Newton changing planes in the Buffalo airport.   Keep that self-absorbed weirdo far, far away from the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'd be interested in Dalton, Flacco, Cam, and Winston in that order.  Hey Beane, what if Allen doesn't work out or gets hurt this year?  You willing to sacrifice next season and possibly your job after doing nearly everything else right by relying on Matt fricken Barkley.

He's so arrogant he's not going to take a backup role. He will want a starting gig. Personally I don't like his attitude and I'm not impressed with him as a QB.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

He wants to win and hates to lose.

This is prerequisite # 1 for any good QB.

He’s a different sort of cat but he isn’t the wheeney some make him out to be.

Find a teammate other the K Benjamin who talked poorly of him. You can’t do it.  
    I wish him well and hope he starts and does well somewhere.

Yeah, Cam's problem is that his most memorable moments have been negative when in reality for every bad thing he has done he has done about five good things for his community. He's like JP Losman in terms of community work, but obviously has had a much more successful career.

Why all the love for Cam Newton on this board??  At this point in his career he is no better then Andy Dalton (at best) with a much worse attitude.  When he refused to dive for the loose ball after he fumbled in the Super Bowl, he lost me and I bet a lot of his teammates.  In fact I would much rather have Jameis Winston over Cam.  Plays with more passion and has more upside.  Cam has always been about Cam first and foremost.  Noone is just going to give him a starting gig at this point.  He is going to have to earn it.  Is he any better then Fitzie at this point in their careers?  Seriously.  But it will be exciting to see a name guy trying to get back on top.  Like Brady in TB, Rivers in Indy, Foles in Chicago and Bridgewater in Carolina.  As for Tyrod in LA....not so much.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

does miami sign him? skins or chargers?

Nope.  Why would Miami carry a QB room of Fitzpatrick, Cam, and rookie QB?  It would be a waste of a rooster spot.  

Chargers would give away a meager low round pick to trade for Cam.  They should...but they don’t want him.

I think Washington is a likely landing spot

15 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Pats, Chargers and Bears.  Who blinks first

Washington

41 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I'd be interested in Dalton, Flacco, Cam, and Winston in that order.  Hey Beane, what if Allen doesn't work out or gets hurt this year?  You willing to sacrifice next season and possibly your job after doing nearly everything else right by relying on Matt fricken Barkley.

I'm all for improving the backup QB, but Beane wouldn't lose his job if he didn't.

Would love Dalton (though he stands to get starter gig), Flacco's future is as someone's back up at this juncture, Winston I'd be good with as back up though I'm sure he's seeking starter spot and Cam, while there might be something left in the tank, would drive me nuts.

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Me too, because he'd never respond to Belichick's style and he'd be a cancer on that franchise.

precisely 

1 minute ago, eball said:

I could see the Jags bringing him in.

London calling

8 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Why all the love for Cam Newton on this board??  At this point in his career he is no better then Andy Dalton (at best) with a much worse attitude.  When he refused to dive for the loose ball after he fumbled in the Super Bowl, he lost me and I bet a lot of his teammates.  In fact I would much rather have Jameis Winston over Cam.  Plays with more passion and has more upside.  Cam has always been about Cam first and foremost.  Noone is just going to give him a starting gig at this point.  He is going to have to earn it.  Is he any better then Fitzie at this point in their careers?  Seriously.  But it will be exciting to see a name guy trying to get back on top.  Like Brady in TB, Rivers in Indy, Foles in Chicago and Bridgewater in Carolina.  As for Tyrod in LA....not so much.  

Dalton is better. Period.