Starting to think there is no way they play football in 2020

JaCrispy

7 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Meanwhile 31 million Americans have caught the flu this year & 30K people have died from it.  My one friend has been a Pharmacist for 20 years.  He has told this is a strong flu strain & it is downright criminal how the media has portrayed this.  He also says once the tests results come in, he expects the death rate % to be similar of the flu or even less.  Just one guys opinion, but I think when people look at this they need to keep these numbers in mind.

That's not the point. And what you have posted is largely disinformation since it misrepresents and downplays the situation at hand. It may be accurate in its own right, but it isnt an apples to apples comparison.

An analogy to what you are saying with comparing it to the flu would be: "The sign outside McDonalds says '2 Billion burgers served this year', but when I order 5million at the drive thru it overloads the system. What gives?!?"

In the long run, hopefully this turns into just another strain of flu. But the issue right now is that it is new (lot still unknown), and fast spreading all at once.

That is what "flattening the curve" is all about. We wont eradicate it completely. But we must take measures to not overload our healthcare system all at once.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Clearly really smart people must be developing models on this at MIT, Carnegie Mellon, etc, right?

Right?

Like in a week or so the smartest mathematicians in the world will have models in place to project the outcomes for each scenario, lock down vs do nothing. 

Someone has thought of that right?

This may be sarcasm, but there is a thread in OTW with several links to these.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Damian said:

So far over 90% of infections happen in the temperature range of 37 to 63 degrees F.  

Could be why most of SE Asia has been relatively spared so far.  

Hopefully warmer weather will bring the infections down.

Please do not post misinformation or unverified information about covid-19.

If you have a source, kindly give it - over in OTW, in the Covid thread - I'd be interested, actually

Politicians have stated that "it will disappear with warmer temperatures"

Every virologist I've heard or read says "we just don't know, but if it does, it may follow the seasonal pattern of flu and come back with a vengeance in fall"

And moving to general - this has become Yet Another Covid thread with a lot of misinformation and politics.

I don't have time to baby sit an infinite number of these, so it's Lock City

There are two Covid threads that I try hard to maintain with accurate info in "Off the Wall", one "facts only" for vetted links, one for humor and for discussion.

There is also a Covid thread in PPP where you may give your conspiracy theories and so forth, pretty much unmoderated.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2