Starting to think there is no way they play football in 2020

JaCrispy

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Holy hyperbole. 

Asking people to stay home for 30 days means dictatorship, human rights violations and "censorship?"

I see it as the only way to save the economy.

China reopened Wuhan today. That could be America if you follow that model.

Shut everything down, don't collect mortgage payments, don't collect utility payments, don't collect rent. Just stay home, and then in 30 days you can reopen everything after you fully quarantine everyone who is sick.

Prolonging thing will only decimate consumer confidence and wreck the service and hospitality industries, the airline industries and contract GDP. Then other companies will begin laying people off, and the whole thing will snowball. 

What you say is pretty much the only way this happens. You need everyone to stop collecting payments. No car payments, mortgage payments, utilities. You would also need to make food free or pay people what they are making when they work. Needless to say all of this would require massive government intervention, the likes of which this country has never seen. It would involve overreaching in an uncountable amount of private businesses. Think of how many businesses hold mortgages, hold auto loans, how many people and companies collect rent, how many utility companies there are. I’m not sure that kind of legislation could ever be drafted and implemented inside of the constitution and framework of our government. 

Edited by PetermansRedemption

7 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I was actually being generous going to 99.4%. The true statistics are 99.8% survival rate under the age of 39 and 99.6% for the age group of 40-49. 50-59 it goes down to a 98.7% survivability rate. 

source: worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Ok if you only meant young people then you are probably right (based on available sources). However, it is still based on the fact that even people under 60 get appropriate medical care. It probably will not be possible if much higher percentage of population gets infected.

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Right now I think mini camps will be cancelled.   However, I cant see this going into July and August.   Maybe a modified season, but I think football still happens.

The real question is going to be, does Covid 19 come back with a vengeance next fall? That's when the 1918 flu wreaked most of it's havoc, in it's second wave that hit in the Fall of 1918 following it's earlier appearance in spring 1918.  

2 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Ok if you only meant young people then you are probably right (based on available sources). However, it is still based on the fact that even people under 60 get appropriate medical care. It probably will not be possible if much higher percentage of population gets infected.

So, theoretically, couldn’t we manage this thing by making everyone over the age of 50 or 60 stay home? Many over the age of 60 are retired and can stay home anyways. Many, many cases under the age of 60 do not require hospitalization. While many over the age of 60 do require hospitalization. 

[Edit: Misleading information confusing case fatality rate statistics with morbidity (serious disease).  About 20% of those infected require hospitalization, though the rate is higher in the old.) Currently in USA, 40% of those hospitalized with severe to critical illness are age 20-54.  If you do the math, as the disease spreads that age range alone will exceed our hospital capacity.  Plus people 50-60 include a lot of critical workers - small business owners, doctors, nurses, etc; people over 60 inevitably have some contact with others even if they do stay home.

Just now, PetermansRedemption said:

No

Source: My never ending optimism 

I hope so too! And yet this possibility is something we absolutely have to prepare for, which is why Cuomo is cautioning that this may be a 9 month disruption. 

5 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

What you say is pretty much the only way this happens. You need everyone to stop collecting payments. No car payments, mortgage payments, utilities. You would also need to make food free or pay people what they are making when they work. Needless to say all of this would require massive government intervention, the likes of which this country has never seen. It would involve overreaching in an uncountable amount of private businesses. Think of how many businesses hold mortgages, hold auto loans, how many people and companies collect rent, how many utility companies there are. I’m not sure that kind of legislation could ever be drafted and implemented inside of the constitution and framework of our government. 

It's a 30 day economic holiday. 

The alternative is ruining the economy. 

The economy can survive a 30 day shut down.

It can't survive a prolonged period of negative GDP growth with no timeline on when things will improve by. 

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

If this doesn’t end next week, football is going to be the least of anyones concern

Isn't that the truth. Kinda hard to watch football if you're dead. Kinda hard to enjoy a stimulus package if you're dead. My wife and I are 61 with diabetes. Scary times......

Edited by LABILLBACKER

Absolute worst case scenario:

camps start in August (more than 4 full months from now)

2 preseason games

season starts on time, or one week later, with the possibility of no fans...tv is and will be king for nfl, anyways.

and that’s at worst.

1 hour ago, thunderingsquid said:

If we do see football in September, it will be sloppy as hell.  Like Thursday night football every game.

Jets fans won’t be able to tell the difference.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It's a 30 day economic holiday. 

The alternative is ruining the economy. 

The economy can survive a 30 day shut down.

It can't survive a prolonged period of negative GDP growth with no timeline on when things will improve by. 

I absolutely agree. 30 days would be completely fine. How does it get accomplished legislatively though? 

10 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

So, theoretically, couldn’t we manage this thing by making everyone over the age of 50 or 60 stay home? Many over the age of 60 are retired and can stay home anyways. Many, many cases under the age of 60 do not require hospitalization. While many over the age of 60 do require hospitalization. 

This won't accomplish anything. 

You can't force such a large portion of the population to exit the economy and pretend that everything will be fine. 

People are not going to go on with their lives as they did a month ago.

No one is booking a family trip. No one is buying a new car. No one is going out to restaurants as regularly as they did. 

The die is cast. 

1 minute ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I absolutely agree. 30 days would be completely fine. How does it get accomplished legislatively though? 

With real leadership.

This is a crisis. The country is essentially at war.

Someone needs to step up and make the tough decisions that won't be popular. 

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I have no idea, I was just originally arguing your death rate numbers.

I think total isolation of people over 60 is one of the keys right now. In my country they are not allowed to leave their homes other than for necessary shopping. As of today, all shops are open from 9am to 12noon only for seniors.

But I do think that it is worse that you think even under 60. There are more and more stories spreading how badly are people dealing with virus even when they are 35 or so. I guess we will see.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Holy hyperbole. 

Asking people to stay home for 30 days means dictatorship, human rights violations and "censorship?"

I see it as the only way to save the economy.

China reopened Wuhan today. That could be America if you follow that model.

Shut everything down, don't collect mortgage payments, don't collect utility payments, don't collect rent. Just stay home, and then in 30 days you can reopen everything after you fully quarantine everyone who is sick.

Prolonging thing will only decimate consumer confidence and wreck the service and hospitality industries, the airline industries and contract GDP. Then other companies will begin laying people off, and the whole thing will snowball. 

Thanks for being sensible. The anti-media/data/reality gang have some difficulty seeing the truth between extremes.

15 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Absolute worst case scenario:

camps start in August (more than 4 full months from now)

2 preseason games

season starts on time, or one week later, with the possibility of no fans...tv is and will be king for nfl, anyways.

and that’s at worst.

Jets fans won’t be able to tell the difference.

Well...you may have a point there...

7CD935DF-1B0A-4F08-8450-4007CAE3F5C5.thumb.jpeg.f90c3bbe4e4741a872b2d9f202b1eacf.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jimmy10 said:

Smart people I trust who are qualified to offer an opinion on this thing say 3-4 months at least.

Sure are a lot of people who don't understand what qualifies a person to have their own opinion on this. 

I'm not personally qualified, but I do like to read and listen to and watch actual experts offer their perspectives, and trust them to lead the way. 

And do you (not you personally, jimmy10) know who brings us these qualified perspectives? The dreaded MEDIA...(enter ghostly moaning here)

• Like (+1) 1