Starting to think there is no way they play football in 2020

JaCrispy

38 minutes ago, Damian said:

So far over 90% of infections happen in the temperature range of 37 to 63 degrees F.  

Could be why most of SE Asia has been relatively spared so far.  

Hopefully warmer weather will bring the infections down.

I was thinking this too and I then read where hot temps do not stop the spread. I think SE Asia has been spared due to the lack of testing more then anything else.

I don't see an NFL season in 2020 either.

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Moving the Olympics to 2021 basically  costs no money.  There’s too much money on the line if the NFL cancels their season.  Unless Corona virus rate of death never flattens out, there will be football this year.  If it doesn’t flatten out here, then we’ll all be dead anyway.  

March madness brings in 1 Billion and they cancelled that. Don't assume the all mighty dollar beats public health

The season is gone. A 1 year layoff will dramatically change the landscape of the nfl

players will be out of shape

some will age out (will Tom Brady ever play for the bucs)

stars today will no longer be stars due to age and conditioning. 

2 years of prospects entering the league at once? Yikes on a 55 man roster for vets

what happens with NFL players not getting paid for a year? Do they really live paycheck to paycheck like ESPN 30 for 30 days?

how many will be forced to leave football forever?

How many will make bad life choices with no income ?

a year off football changes everything.

hope I am wrong

• Like (+1) 3

Hard to say.  The info I'm hearing ranges from "this is all being over-hyped and we'll be back to normal in the next month or so" to "we're all doomed and this is the beginning of the downfall of society".  I just hope the NFL has people's health and safety in mind more than revenue when they make their decisions.

Just now, Nester said:

The season is gone. A 1 year layoff will dramatically change the landscape of the nfl

players will be out of shape

some will age out (will Tom Brady ever play for the bucs)

stars today will no longer be stars due to age and conditioning. 

2 years of prospects entering the league at once? Yikes on a 55 man roster for vets

what happens with NFL players not getting paid for a year? Do they really live paycheck to paycheck like ESPN 30 for 30 days?

how many will be forced to leave football forever?

How many will make bad life choices with no income ?

a year off football changes everything.

hope I am wrong

Don't worry, you are.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought that a few days ago, but just a week+ into the lockdown, and you can tell the economic impact is too much to handle.  Trump is already pushing to get things back to "normal," and they won't keep a business like the NFL on hold.

I foresee something like trying to keep at-risk groups quarantined as much as possible, but letting others get back to work, maybe in a staggered way.  I think the season will be on.

17 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

If me staying home for a month saves 10 lives, I think i can deal. It sucks, but I think the alternative is FAR worse

Our parents and grandparents were called to a world war.

We're being asked to Netflix and chill.

Perspective.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Until there is a full stay-at-home lockdown they won't "flatten the curve." Meanwhile spring break is in full swing in South Florida.

not true, beaches are closed and patrolled by police. Drawbridges to barrier islands are closed to residents and workers only

• Like (+1) 3

This virus is a lot bigger than sports in general & i give props to all those nurses & Dr's on the front lines all over the world fighting this thing away from their family's & also those athletes that give back to help out like Mitch Morse & others .

Zion Williamson drafted by the Pelicans is going to pay for all the workers at the venue where they play until this is figured out . That's a huge at a boy for a rookie to step up like that ! 

It will take a ton of data to figure out how we go forward but there will be those that don't heed what they are being told to do & stay home ( you can't fix stupid) i have been home for the most part since this has started i have been out once for some groceries & have little to no contact with others & will do that until i need to .

I would think that the NFL along with most of the other players in major league sports should be much better prepared monetarily than most of us & maybe this will humble some of those that need it to realize they are more human than they thought & that this virus doesn't discriminate just because you make a lot of money .

I pray that things get back to the new normal soon & i hope all Bills & all sports fans stay safe & healthy until a cure or at least a treatment is found but until that is done the Olympics, NFL, MLB, NBA & most other sports will be played on video of seasons past until there is a fix .

The NFL season might happen, but I think it will be in empty stadiums. 

Social distancing guidelines will likely remain in place through the end of the year. 

Letting 60,000 into a stadium together seems like something that won't be happening anytime soon. 

Here in Taiwan, the baseball season has been delayed a bit but should start relatively soon. The newer cases here have been caught at the airport or during mandatory quarantine. There have been a few cases they can't account for and a couple people have broken quarantine, but so far so good.

You guys are way behind in every way. Big hope is that it passes seasonally, but there isn't much evidence for that. 

I scout for the royals and only the most optimistic of the optimists think MLB can start anytime before June. Likely in front of empty stadiums.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

The NFL season might happen, but I think it will be in empty stadiums. 

Social distancing guidelines will likely remain in place through the end of the year. 

Letting 60,000 into a stadium together seems like something that won't be happening anytime soon. 

no chance nflpa allows that huge risk to the players if social distancing is still required.

Just now, Nester said:

no chance nflpa allows that huge risk to the players if social distancing is still required.

I agree.

I'm just saying if it does happen it'll be behind closed doors. 

I don't think the 2020 season is going to materialize. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Yeah. You realize that more than half of Americans work for small businesses, yes? Those businesses will not survive a month or more of lockdown.

Yes they will.

Lock things down for 30 days, and cover those businesses expenses. If that means spending trillions of dollars, then spend trillions of dollars. 

Prolonging things is the route that can't be taken. That's the one that results in economic ruin. 

We need to follow China's model. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Dictatorship,  human rights violations and censorship?  Thanks but I’ll pass. 

Holy hyperbole. 

Asking people to stay home for 30 days means dictatorship, human rights violations and "censorship?"

I see it as the only way to save the economy.

China reopened Wuhan today. That could be America if you follow that model.

Shut everything down, don't collect mortgage payments, don't collect utility payments, don't collect rent. Just stay home, and then in 30 days you can reopen everything after you fully quarantine everyone who is sick.

Prolonging thing will only decimate consumer confidence and wreck the service and hospitality industries, the airline industries and contract GDP. Then other companies will begin laying people off, and the whole thing will snowball. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I cannot see the world still being stopped even one month from now, nevertheless six months. There’s more to this than simply staying home. I’ve covered it in other threads, but people cannot afford to have a prolonged lockdown. Most Americans don’t even have $400 saved in their bank account. You think they are just going to sit and home and starve? You will see extreme unrest if this goes on for any prolonged period of time. You already see defiant people, that number will only grow. You are getting compliance currently because it is novel and new. As the numbers continue and people see that 99.4%+ survival rate for those under 50 without an existing condition, their families livelihood and ability to feed their family will become far more important. The only way you buy continued compliance is if the government passes an unemployment plan that replaces 100% of wages. Without that, people will do whatever it takes to survive. Even if you have money saved up, put yourself in the position of someone who doesn’t. You have no money left in the bank, the credit cards are maxed, you can’t buy any food for your family. You have the option to get a different job and go out into the world. Your going to do it. 

I have gotten a little off track. But this all relates to the NFL because if the world starts restarting the NFL will certainly restart. The majority of revenue from the NFL comes from TV contracts anyways. Playing to empty stadiums, or extremely socially distanced stadiums, won’t make much of a difference to their bottom line.

For a lot of people it will not be as simple as returning to their job.  First, they need to see if there is a job to go back to.  If you work at Del Lago for instance the place is closed per the governor's orders.  Even if a place is open if the opportunity is not there for you to be productive odds are you will not be allowed to put hours in to draw a paycheck.  When people are having to make hard choices with the funds they do have they may elect putting off getting tires replaced or having the propane heating tank filled.  Less work for the people at the auto service center or heating propane supplier.  There is going to be real economic pain for quite a number of people.

• Like (+1) 1