Starting to think there is no way they play football in 2020

JaCrispy

Summer olympics was just postponed til summer of 2021 and that was supposed to start right before the beginning of the NFL season...

It will be interesting to see how next years college players handle the draft...theoretically we could have 2 drafts before the next season is played...thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t think there’s really enough info to speculate when it’s “safe” to resume public functions yet. I would imagine everything stays on hold for at least a couple more months still as more data is gathered and other countries battle through this and recover. 

• Like (+1) 1

Olympics are postponed because athletes are unable to train RIGHT NOW. And they can't just push it back a couple of months, they have to skip to next summer.

Luckily, the NFL still has a couple of months before any regular training activities are set to start. I think they'll be able to stay mostly on schedule.

Side note: Now that I think about it, one of the best ways they could get all the dummies to start taking this seriously and just stay inside for the next 2 weeks, would be to announce "If the public doesnt get this contained soon, we risk having no football this fall". Maybe that would wake them up.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Mini-camp, OTA's, rookie camp are probably done but if they can get training camp in July then they should have a full season. It will definitely be a challenge for coaching staffs to get rookies/ FA joining a new team up to speed in learning the playbook with so much time missed on the practice field.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I don’t think there’s really enough info to speculate when it’s “safe” to resume public functions yet. I would imagine everything stays on hold for at least a couple more months still as more data is gathered and other countries battle through this and recover. 

Other countries... like Florida

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

I’m pretty hopeful, but that’s probably just the “optimism amidst downtime”, talking.  The good thing is that even though things are pretty much at a standstill, the NFL is still working through their options and are making really strong decisions.  With the exception of Sean P and his affinity for ordering cheesesteaks during quarantine.  

But seriously, for as much grief as Goodell gets (and some deservedly), he’s a “war-time” commissioner who’s motivated by money and profitability.  If there’s a way to make the year happen in a worst-case scenario, my money’s on him getting it done.   

Edited by DFT
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thunderingsquid said:

If we do see football in September, it will be sloppy as hell.  Like Thursday night football every game.

Another possibility could be a higher number of injuries than usual.

• Like (+1) 1

Moving the Olympics to 2021 basically  costs no money.  There’s too much money on the line if the NFL cancels their season.  Unless Corona virus rate of death never flattens out, there will be football this year.  If it doesn’t flatten out here, then we’ll all be dead anyway.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DFT said:

I’m pretty hopeful, but that’s probably just the “optimism amidst downtime”, talking.  The good thing is that even though things are pretty much at a standstill, the NFL is still working through their options and are making really strong decisions.  With the exception of Sean P and his affinity for ordering cheesesteaks during quarantine.  

But seriously, for as much grief as Goodell gets (and some deservedly), he’s a “war-time” commissioner who’s motivated by money and profitability.  If there’s a way to make the year happen in a worst-case scenario, my money’s on him getting it done.   

I don't think you're being an optimist. I think people sitting in quarantine and watching numbers climb lose sight of how far away we are from needing to make these decisions, and how much time it has taken other places' cases to peak. It's certainly true that a spanish flu when we were barely into the "germ theory" era lasted a long time in waves, but that doesn't mean that this one will play out exactly the same a hundred years later 

There will probably be unique circumstances to this season in one way or another, but I'd bet on it happening. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Sure there is, you just have to a) believe in science and b) agree to aggressive measures to make a valid prediction. We have leadership that refuses both. Wuhan locked the city right down on January 23-ish and just announced yesterday that the lockdown will end April 8. They quickly built hospitals, set up food delivery, and were successful. We've done none of that. So let's call March 13 the beginning of the measures taken here, which are not the same measures in Wuhan. If we had adopted such measures, that would mean about a June 1 re-opening of life in some fashion. Instead, were seeing an infection increase rates worse than China, a president now looking to roll back measures on Monday as he puts the economy and the profit of himself and his donors over our family and friends lives, and a certain continuing of the problem, not a reduction.

Bet you any money the number of Erie County cases at the end of today is about 150 or more, up from 96 yesterday. 

• Awesome! (+1) 4

One thing this will be a tell-tale sign of is how players truly train when left on their own in the offseason. How many guys will keep themselves in proper physical condition? I'd expect a large spike in injuries this year in general if they do play due to the fact players haven't been training at their facilities. As of right now though I am fully expecting no football, college or professional, until 2021. 

10 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Sure there is, you just have to a) believe in science and b) agree to aggressive measures to make a valid prediction. We have leadership that refuses both. Wuhan locked the city right down on January 23-ish and just announced yesterday that the lockdown will end April 8. They quickly built hospitals, set up food delivery, and were successful. We've done none of that. So let's call March 13 the beginning of the measures taken here, which are not the same measures in Wuhan. If we had adopted such measures, that would mean about a June 1 re-opening of life in some fashion. Instead, were seeing an infection increase rates worse than China, a president now looking to roll back measures on Monday as he puts the economy and the profit of himself and his donors over our family and friends lives, and a certain continuing of the problem, not a reduction.

Bet you any money the number of Erie County cases at the end of today is about 150 or more, up from 96 yesterday. 

Of course it is going to be higher, they are testing more.  It only makes sense.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

Of course it is going to be higher, they are testing more.  It only makes sense.  

What I’m concerned about is the death rate. As long as we keep the death rate around that 1% mark this is a successful result. The only country that has been able to keep it that low is South Korea. China was around 3.5, Italy is around 9.5. Spain around 6.7. Iran is 7.7. Keep our number as low as the model of response so far (South Korea).

• Like (+1) 3

There is a huge difference between Olympics and NFL imo. Olympics had to be postponed since they need qualifications and trainings of athletes which cannot happen now and will not happen couple of next months. You also need athletes from all over the world to gather and participate. Same goes for fans.

NFL is entirely different. It is US thing only, so in only depends on how US handles the virus. I have no idea how it works in reality, but I guess you can have almost normal season when some training camps are postponed and situation gets better in June or even July. You can also adopt some measures to prevent risks - play without fans, or limit fans to 1/3 of stadium capacity or something like that.

I am quite sceptical about the virus itself, but NFL starts in September and there should be enough time for things to get better until then. 

37 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Right now I think mini camps will be cancelled.   However, I cant see this going into July and August.   Maybe a modified season, but I think football still happens.

I think it depends on how seriously people take the shelter in place. I haven't gone out into public in over a week. We should have plenty of supplies (beer) until next Monday when I'll have to go out again. If the whole country just did that I think we'd be able to get over this quicker.

This sucks, I get it. I Half my company got furloughed. I got my salary cut 20%  I want to just go somewhere and walk around, get something to eat. But every time I read about whats happening in Italy, I get worried about here. I had bronchitis last year, i only have one kidney. My SIL has asthma. My mom has a compromised immune system. My FIL is a smoker. I think all of them could be at bigger risk for something like this.

If me staying home for a month saves 10 lives, I think i can deal. It sucks, but I think the alternative is FAR worse

• Like (+1) 6