Could they do an NFL season this fall? A how to

The stadiums will likely be empty but could they do it. America will want it, if only for morale boost, and the NFL will want it for $$. 

Would it be financially possible to take all the people involved in playing, reffing, showing, training, etc and quarantine them in two phases. Self quarantine for 2 weeks. Group quarantine for two weeks. Then those groups all stay together in contained units like mini-prisons almost for the duration of the season? 

It would have to be voluntary, and it would be really hard, but if you kind of "flag and country"-d the idea, I think people would sign up. Maybe just do a 14 game schedule, no pre-season?

Lots of holes in this plan (doctor visits being the most glaring...anyone who leaves the island can't get back for two weeks) but this is a football board and I would love to have football this fall to cheer us up in a down time. 

Edited by Sundancer

I would be surprised if this is still around in the fall. The virus does not like heat & humidity, will likely die off in the summer. Also I heard from an infectious disease doctor that Novel strain viruses typically have a spread life of 3 months.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

The stadiums will likely be empty but could they do it. America will want it, if only for morale boost, and the NFL will want it for $$. 

Would it be financially possible to take all the people involved in playing, reffing, showing, training, etc and quarantine them in two phases. Self quarantine for 2 weeks. Group quarantine for two weeks. Then those groups all stay together in contained units like mini-prisons almost for the duration of the season? 

It would have to be voluntary, and it would be really hard, but if you kind of "flag and country"-d the idea, I think people would sign up. Maybe just do a 14 game schedule, no pre-season?

Lots of holes in this plan (doctor visits being the most glaring...anyone who leaves the island can't get back for two weeks) but this is a football board and I would love to have football this fall to cheer us up in a down time. 

Is no one going to respond to the actual specifics of this OP post??

LOL---priceless!....or masterful troll job

14 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I would be surprised if this is still around in the fall. The virus does not like heat & humidity, will likely die off in the summer. Also I heard from an infectious disease doctor that Novel strain viruses typically have a spread life of 3 months.

It’s in sub-Saharan Africa and spreading just fine. It’s already been spreading well past three months around the world. It’s important, in my opinion, that we all let the doctors speak to not spread disinformation. 

Again, just my opinion. Not trying to be rude. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

It’s in sub-Saharan Africa and spreading just fine. It’s already been spreading well past three months around the world. It’s important, in my opinion, that we all let the doctors speak to not spread disinformation. 

Again, just my opinion. Not trying to be rude. 

This started in Wuhan around December right? They are going back to work there now. We'll see how it goes, one week at a time.

21 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

and don't forget...who ever wants a test can get one...(lol..sarcasm)

i say the NFL delays the start of the season by 2 weeks....just so they can be politically correct.....without fans

31 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Exactly, people that are thinking like the op is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.  This thing is going to pass, and it is going to pass a lot sooner than people think.  If we are in the fall & still worried about being around each we got way more bigger problems than filling football stadiums on the weekends.  What are they going to do, shut down the airline industry too, which would be a national crisis.  They have the smartest people in the world working on this, they will get this figured out.  The lack of faith in humanity is astounding.

11 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I am thinking no season this year.  2021 resumption, perhaps.  The Spanish Flu of 1918 had three waves...lasted about 18 months.

& the technology was the same back in 1918 too right.  People like you are part of the problem

10 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I am thinking no season this year.  2021 resumption, perhaps.  The Spanish Flu of 1918 had three waves...lasted about 18 months.

Even if COVID-19 is a potential multi-wave virus, I would hope that modern medicine would have a solution to prevent a similar outcome as a 1918 virus.

43 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

That is not true of all viruses and doesn't preclude a virus rebounding in the fall.

9 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Exactly, people that are thinking like the op is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous.  This thing is going to pass, and it is going to pass a lot sooner than people think.  If we are in the fall & still worried about being around each we got way more bigger problems than filling football stadiums on the weekends.  What are they going to do, shut down the airline industry too, which would be a national crisis.  They have the smartest people in the world working on this, they will get this figured out.  The lack of faith in humanity is astounding.

& the technology was the same back in 1918 too right.  People like you are part of the problem

Have you noticed who's in charge?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Either by the fall things are OK to play as normal or no season.  The number of players, coaches, and staff per team times 32 teams is easily over 3000, adding in training camp cuts and extra staff, probably 5000.  The odds of keeping all them from not getting even one of them infected is slim.  No add in the staff of the mini prisons that I'd assume under your plan would also need to stay there.  And everyone involved then goes for like 4 months with no contact with their families.  Well maybe every Tuesday on their off days, they can bring the families by to wave from their windows.

Do you also plan to quarantine the airplanes the airplanes and the crews of said planes for 14 days prior to each road game (LOL may be easy to do as not being used for anything else), the staff in the hotels they stay in for road games, the bus drivers who take them from the airports. Is the team going to serve them box lunches made in their mini prisons prior to leaving as you can't let anyone serve them food?

You say people would sign up, yes normal people who are out of work desperate for money may sign up, but not NFL players!

Go back  to sleep!

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

If we must compare this to the 1918 flu, remember it rebounded in the fall, and in a more fatal form.

We do not yet know whether or not this virus will trail off with warm weather.  It may.  It may not.

Sadly, we are asking our first responders and HCW to use 1918 technology.  I have 3 friends making cloth masks for hospitals.

Cloth masks are permeable to 90% of particulates.

Sundancer, I'm sorry, but leaving aside the cameo by Tin Foil Hat folks, this has turned into yet another covid thread.  It gets the lock.