Darryl Johnson potential...what do we think?

eball

I think they found a unpolished gem.  The kid made plays both on the DE rotation and ST in his first year.  He needs to get stronger and put on some more weight.   I have high hopes for Johnson and I wonder if Addison brought in, Shaq allowed to go, and Murphy still here means that Johnson is in future plans.

• Like (+1) 1

He no doubt is on the edge of making the team.

If he doesn't he might end up as one of the 2 guys you could call up from the PS this year.

It will be interesting how teams use those 2 positions and I expect some PS guys to get a decent sized contract to stay with teams.

3 hours ago, eball said:

LOL you just mentioned three 1st rounders...not quite the same as a raw 7th round prospect.  But that was the point of the thread -- what do others think about Johnson's potential.

True but my point was that while they were 1st rounders, they were all ones that weren't maybe a NFL ready as others were, wasn't Edmunds like the 2nd youngest player ever drafted?  But the Bills stil ldrafted them and they've all worked out well.

Also my point in bringing them ups is seems Beane tends to do well with drafting 1st rounders with potential, why wouldn't we see the same with 7th rounders.

So yes because of how they've drafted I'm bullish on guys like Johnson & Johnson, Sweeney, etc.

6 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I think the coaching staff likes this kid.  Might be why they traded in a younger Shaq for an older Addison.  I wonder if the idea is to let Johnson grow for another year or two while Addison is here and, over time, give Johnson a growing numbers of snaps.  

I think I read they made Shaq an offer similar to Miami’s, but less guaranteed money. 

7 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

He seems to have good "measurables" and showed some skills. The lines usually require a few years of experience to develop a good player. Maybe an exception is a one-trick pony who just pass rushes. The Bills have brought in good veterans to rotate and start. This will give Johnson a chance to learn and develop. We probably will not see enough of him in real live play against starting quality opposition, except some in preseason.   Don't know.  We also have Vosean Joseph out of Florida, who is in a similar situation.  Looks like a superior athlete but in college looked a little lost playing LB.  5th round pick, but might develop into something special.

Interesting that you put these two, Johnson and Joseph, together.   They each have superior athletic attributes, and they must have superior work ethics, or the Bills wouldn't have picked them or kept them.  That tells me to expect a little more out of them than you project.   Almost certainly, they both learned a lot last season, and assuming a normal training camp and preseason, I think they'll have a lot of opportunity to show they deserve to be on the field.   

I've said a few times that, because of the competitive environment that McDermott demands, I expect there will be some surprise young faces getting more playing time than we project right now.   There's no way to predict who those young faces will be, but we can speculate.   Joseph and Johnson are two of them.  Ryan Bates is another.   There may be one or two more on the roster, and there will be one or two or three added by the time they go to camp.  Draftees, undrafted free agent, maybe someone off a practice squad.   There's a reason Johnso, Joseph and Bates are on the roster, and the reason is that they have physical skills that are particularly attractive to McDermott.  The question is whether they can be trained up to do the job at the position they play.    One or two of those types, from the guys the Bills already have or will acquire in the next couple of months, are going to end up with more playing time than many of us would predict today.  

For example, i think it's possible all across the offensive line.   It's possible at edge, and it's possible at linebacker.   Possible in the defensive backfield, but less likely.   Certainly possible at running back, for sure.   Not likely any diamond-in-the-rough youngster is taking time from Diggs, Brown, and Beasley.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And Carolina. Obvs. 

Just stop.  There really isn’t anything wrong with it. Our new defensive line coach is coming from there and is an upgrade over last year. He coached Addison last year. It’s a good move. People look too deep into this Carolina connection. McD was a defensive coordinator on a super bowl team with most of those guys. Good problem to have if you ask me...

Edited by whorlnut

10 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Just stop.  There really isn’t anything wrong with it. Our new defensive line coach is coming from there and is an upgrade over last year. He coached Addison last year. It’s a good move. People look too deep into this Carolina connection. McD was a defensive coordinator on a super bowl team with most of those guys. Good problem to have if you ask me...

Chill out. It was meant as a joke. 

Edit: on a serious note though I am not a fan of the Addison signing. 

Edited by GunnerBill

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Why?

He will be 33 when the season starts and I have made my point about older pass rushers many times. It can literally go overnight. His pressures and his QB hits were actually down in 2019 but his sack totals remained pretty consistent meaning in fairness to him that while he was getting there less he was making the most of the times he did. But with Mario Williams, Cam Wake, Brian Orakpo it was there one day and gone the next. I think Addison has been a good NFL player. I just don't believe he will be productive at age 33 and we are paying him a lot of money to find out. My prediction is fewer sacks and QB hits for Addison in 2020 than Shaq managed in 2019 (and I am not arguing we should have retained Shaq for the money Miami gave him either). 

DE is the biggest concern I have about this team as currently constructed. Don't like what we have there - at all. Johnson is the potential caveat to that. If he develops to the point they can get him on the field he could be our most productive end. 

• Like (+1) 1