Darryl Johnson potential...what do we think?

eball

Just noticed he will only turn 23 this April.  Obviously was a raw prospect last year, but surprised everyone by making the final roster as a 7th round pick.  Do we think he has a chance to become a legitimate part of the DE rotation this season?  McD's thoughts on that would certainly impact how the Bills are looking at the rest of FA and the draft.  Gotta think the kid has been a workout warrior over the past 12 months, turning that kid's body into NFL-readiness.

Thoughts?

He seems to have good "measurables" and showed some skills. The lines usually require a few years of experience to develop a good player. Maybe an exception is a one-trick pony who just pass rushes. The Bills have brought in good veterans to rotate and start. This will give Johnson a chance to learn and develop. We probably will not see enough of him in real live play against starting quality opposition, except some in preseason.   Don't know.  We also have Vosean Joseph out of Florida, who is in a similar situation.  Looks like a superior athlete but in college looked a little lost playing LB.  5th round pick, but might develop into something special.

• Like (+1) 1

The kid has speed and bend and he started last season in the rotation. He averaged 20 snaps per game through the first 8 weeks of 2019 but then didn't manage higher than 5 snaps per game after that until week 17. He came out of it because he was so raw teams were killing him on misdirection plays. I think it is mental, he has some physical tools. If they teach him some of the mental side and really refine his fundamentals he has a shot to contribute. 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Love me some Bam!  The type of guy McD loves to develop.  Still super raw, but the off-season should see him add some muscle and knowledge to help him take a step.  Was through the roof excited when they took him. I hope he sticks!!!!

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The kid has speed and bend and he started last season in the rotation. He averaged 20 snaps per game through the first 8 weeks of 2019 but then didn't manage higher than 5 snaps per game after that until week 17. He came out of it because he was so raw teams were killing him on misdirection plays. I think it is mental, he has some physical tools. If they teach him some of the mental side and really refine his fundamentals he has a shot to contribute. 

I think the coaching staff likes this kid.  Might be why they traded in a younger Shaq for an older Addison.  I wonder if the idea is to let Johnson grow for another year or two while Addison is here and, over time, give Johnson a growing numbers of snaps.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

I think the coaching staff likes this kid.  Might be why they traded in a younger Shaq for an older Addison.  I wonder if the idea is to let Johnson grow for another year or two while Addison is here and, over time, give Johnson a growing numbers of snaps.  

And Carolina. Obvs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

He's about to turn 23 years old - it seems the coaching staff sees potential in the young man. Why would anyone want to give up on a young kid with his measurables, potential, apparent positive attitude, and being a seventh round pick he has a dirt cheap contract? Of course you find a way to keep someone like that around &  try to further develop him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Just noticed he will only turn 23 this April.  Obviously was a raw prospect last year, but surprised everyone by making the final roster as a 7th round pick.  Do we think he has a chance to become a legitimate part of the DE rotation this season?  McD's thoughts on that would certainly impact how the Bills are looking at the rest of FA and the draft.  Gotta think the kid has been a workout warrior over the past 12 months, turning that kid's body into NFL-readiness.

Thoughts?

He'll likely make the final 53 but his playing time might be limited with the addition of Addison and Jefferson. That said I'd hope he can step up and play on STs and maybe be a depth DE that can get 3-5 sacks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

Interesting take. :thumbsup:

If you listened to the end-of-year presser from Beane and read in-between-the-lines you can see that Beane is very high on Johnson's prospects.  The kid has great measurables and we saw some of that promise in the preseason.  As long as he improves mentally which I believe he will then I think there is a better than decent shot of him becoming a regular rotational player who will make some game-impacting plays.

25 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Seems like the Bills have drafted a number of players with potential, Allen, Edmunds, Oliver to name a couple so wouldn't be shocked if they saw similar things here with Johnson too.

LOL you just mentioned three 1st rounders...not quite the same as a raw 7th round prospect.  But that was the point of the thread -- what do others think about Johnson's potential.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Thoughts?

Intriguing for sure.  Bolded for emphasis.

Taking a raw guy who dominated at a lower level is an interesting strategy and it worked out for Beane with Mario Addison’s development. I think Johnson is the prototype end that McDermott is looking for. Long and athletic. I actually remember Johnson playing a lot of special teams, something that most 4-3 ends don’t do. 

I like what I saw from him and I really think the believe in him. That said, I do think they will look to the draft to add a guy. 

They added Jonathan Woodard on a futures deal. Similar type of prospect from Central Arkansas. 6-6, 271, bounced around the league a bit. He’s a interesting add as well. I think he’s more interesting than Mike Love. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He can legitimately get after the QB. I think he is going to give us something this year - if he becomes a legitimate edge threat in the 7th round that is a huge steal.

As stated, he lost contain a few times and it became tough to play him. Should be able to grow out of that.

• Like (+1) 1

If you look at pictures of the guy standing next to other Bills players he's freaking taller than most in those pictures i think if they can bulk him up given his rookie production i think he will be a good player for the Bills moving forward I've always pulled for him maybe because i like the underdog thing .