Mock with Dobbins in second...

Hebert19

The more I think about it, the more I hope pick #54 is used on a premiere running back. 

Our defense is is already elite. Our top 3 WRs are set. Our TE position is well stocked.

Yes, DECENT running backs can be found later in the draft. Truly DYNAMIC running backs, however, are typically chosen in the first three rounds. With how Daboll likes to tailor the gameplan to the opponent each week, I want to see the Bills secure an elite running game.

Imagine scheming to stop the Bills with Singletary/Dobbins or Taylor in the backfield, Diggs, Brown, and Beasley at WR, and Knox at TE. Add Allen’s running ability, and that’s a nightmare to defend.

Say “yes” to RB at 54 or, at worst, at 86.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/23/2020 at 10:19 PM, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Love Dobbins, Hall, Bowden & Quarterman. Would be an excellent Draft!

Currently I have it at

2. Cameron Dantzler-CB Miss St

3. Zach Moss-RB Utah

4. Lynn Bowden Jr-WR Kentucky

5. Shaq Quarterman-LB Miami

6. Braden Mann-P Texas A&M

zach Moss is a beast mode in the making!

42 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Pass blocking could be a major concern when you rotate 2 smaller backs.

Actually DS was very good in pass block.

#Bills 5-foot-7 RB Devin Singletary is the NFL's pass blocker, per @PFF_Bills grade of 92.1. Next closest is Rex Burkhead at 85.6.

I dont know if Clyde Edwards-Helaire is good or not, but both are good at catching the balls, so you can have the defense honest with that too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gonzonzo said:

Actually DS was very good in pass block.

#Bills 5-foot-7 RB Devin Singletary is the NFL's pass blocker, per @PFF_Bills grade of 92.1. Next closest is Rex Burkhead at 85.6.

I dont know if Clyde Edwards-Helaire is good or not, but both are good at catching the balls, so you can have the defense honest with that too.

I won't complain if the Bills draft CEH. I just wonder what the Bills think of him as compared to what they already have on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I won't complain if the Bills draft CEH. I just wonder what the Bills think of him as compared to what they already have on the roster.

A RB, these days, should be platooned. CEH is probably a step up from Singletary.  We get the second needed RB and he is a bit better to other guy AND does all the same things.

6 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We need that home run hitter coming out the backfield to complete this offense. Instead of a 10 yard gain it's 60 yards.

What is everyones fascination with this play that happens maybe a few times a season for even the best ones at it.  People act like these fabled 60 yard TD runs happen all the time.  Its foolish to focus on that versus the guy who is the better runner and will get you a first down more consistently and a TD when in the Redzone.  You dont win games and go to the Super Bowl because a RB had 4 runs on the whole season of 60 yards.  You win games and go to the Super Bowl because you keep the ball and keep moving towards more points.  Now if that RB happens to be good a both, than great that is probably going to be a special RB.  

That being said, I would love Dobbins...but I just think people are too focused on straight line running which doesn't happen that often over someone breaking tackles or breaking Ankles.  We just need another good RB to share with Devin, doesn't have to be a certain "type" for them to pair well together.

For instance, I would love AJ Dillon whose a load to bring down and fast and can catch.  But I am also not married to it only being Dillon of course, and like I said, I love Dobbins too.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What is everyones fascination with this play that happens maybe a few times a season for even the best ones at it.  People act like these fabled 60 yard TD runs happen all the time.  Its foolish to focus on that versus the guy who is the better runner and will get you a first down more consistently and a TD when in the Redzone.  You dont win games and go to the Super Bowl because a RB had 4 runs on the whole season of 60 yards.  You win games and go to the Super Bowl because you keep the ball and keep moving towards more points.  Now if that RB happens to be good a both, than great that is probably going to be a special RB.  

That being said, I would love Dobbins...but I just think people are too focused on straight line running which doesn't happen that often over someone breaking tackles or breaking Ankles.  We just need another good RB to share with Devin, doesn't have to be a certain "type" for them to pair well together.

For instance, I would love AJ Dillon whose a load to bring down and fast and can catch.  But I am also not married to it only being Dillon of course, and like I said, I love Dobbins too.  

Agreed somewhat but you could say the same thing about deep threat receivers.  Its more about the threat of it and the attention the defense has to pay to that threat.  I like Singletary but more than anything we need a RB who can get the tough yards, so that our QB doesn’t have to.  If that RB can also rip off big runs, even better.  

9 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well, guess what.  You don't see it too often because teams are putting in plodders for running backs and adjusting their schemes for that.  What you DON'T see is that a break-away home-run runner is schemed against. Defenses are run different. Linebackers protect areas against runs.  Defensive linemen have to control their gaps rather than pin their ears back and pass rush.  Safeties have to keep peeking into the backfield and into gaps in the line of scrimmage to check for the RB.  This results in other parts of the offense running better.  You don't see all of the effect of the game-changing RB by the number of long TD's.

I really like that mock, but in a historical draft class, I really hope Bowden isnt the WR we come away with. This is not a knock on Bowden as much as I'd hope we wouldnt be the only WR if we do end up taking him. Strikes me as more of a gadget guy than a true WR.

13 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Simply put we need more explosive players on offense. Honestly I don't think we have any. Someone that put fear in the opponent when they have the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I know its a 1A/1B style running back league... but we just drafted a guy last year at 74 who looks like a stud. Now we're using more draft capital than last year at the same de-valued position?  

I think it comes down to who is available at RB and who is available at more “valued” positions like DE, CB and OT.  We won’t know how the draft will fall until it is in progress, but there is at least a reasonable chance that one of the very good RBs will be available (CEH, Dobbins, Akers, maybe even Taylor) - if the Bills have them rated considerably higher than any of the remaining DE or OT - are you advocating that they reach for a lower graded player at a more valued position?  I agree that DE is a more valuable position and is a long-term need, but I suspect that there might be good CBs that may be graded close to the RBs, but not likely DE or OT.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Simply put we need more explosive players on offense. Honestly I don't think we have any. Someone that put fear in the opponent when they have the ball.

I think Allen needs to be that guy who puts that fear on the opponent and I don’t just mean by running the ball , when Allen takes that next step ( hopefully)

this year that’s when our chance at winning the SB will become a reality , not the RB2 

Go Bills !!!!

Edited by Putin

16 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think it comes down to who is available at RB and who is available at more “valued” positions like DE, CB and OT.  We won’t know how the draft will fall until it is in progress, but there is at least a reasonable chance that one of the very good RBs will be available (CEH, Dobbins, Akers, maybe even Taylor) - if the Bills have them rated considerably higher than any of the remaining DE or OT - are you advocating that they reach for a lower graded player at a more valued position?  I agree that DE is a more valuable position and is a long-term need, but I suspect that there might be good CBs that may be graded close to the RBs, but not likely DE or OT.

I'm not advocating reaching by any means - i hate that.  If a 1st round rated player is on the board at 54 pick them 100 times out of 100.  I'm all for adding talent - if they push out someone else?  So be it.  

I'm hoping one of the WRs slips - higgins or shenault or something.  That'd be neat for the offense.  Higgins has more upside than a duke williams, and shenault could be a useful gadget player while he earns playing time.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'm not advocating reaching by any means - i hate that.  If a 1st round rated player is on the board at 54 pick them 100 times out of 100.  I'm all for adding talent - if they push out someone else?  So be it.  

I'm hoping one of the WRs slips - higgins or shenault or something.  That'd be neat for the offense.  Higgins has more upside than a duke williams, and shenault could be a useful gadget player while he earns playing time.  

I think Higgins’ pretty poor athletic testing would be a big concern for me, but his production was certainly very good.  I’m just not a Shenault fan - to me he is an athlete without developed skill at any position and he is coming off surgery, so no chance for him to address concerns over his speed from the combine and his injury history is a risk.  I know that some people really like him and I could certainly be wrong.

Out of curiosity, why would you advocate for another WR in round 2 when they already essentially used their 1st on Stefon Diggs and have good 2 & 3 options in Brown and Beasley?  I can’t see a WR getting more playing time than another RB to pair with Singletary.

To be clear, I would only take a RB in round 2 if I thought that they were better prospects than could be had at DE and maybe CB, but I do think that is likely how it will fall.

Edited by OldTimer1960

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So Diggs, who is the number 1 deep threat in the NFL and the number 1 contested catch WR in the NFL is not an explosive player?  Brown who is a burner himself isnt explosive?  Come on, thats a bit short sighted statement wouldn't you say.  I mean we have 2 explosive WR's right now and a TE that if he can reign the drops in can really stretch the middle of the field too.  And Cole may not be straight line explosive on go routes, but he as about as fast as you can get as fast cut route runner and explodes off the line.  

I think we have quite a bit more fire power than people think.  Not to mention, Devin despite being a part time RB last year was 3rd in YPC and had tied for 9th in runs over 20 yards with 7 (leader had 11).  

Sorry I still don't buy the Devin is not explosive argument some people insist on making over a 40 time.  He is very explosive, and in the most important ways for a RB.  Shifty, acceleration, cutting, and exploding through the holes.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think you have to put Swift above Akers. I really like Taylor and Dobbins as pure rushers but Swift and CEH can really catch and add an element to the passing game as well. In a modern passing league some would argue that Swift and CEH are more versatile and valuable in today’s league so it’ll be interesting to see if we go with a pure rusher or a do it all kind of RB. And that’s not to say Dobbins and Taylor can’t catch, it could simply mean that they weren’t asked to do so. I’d probably rank them as Taylor, Dobbins, Swift and CEH in that order. Not a fan of Akers, I’d probably have Dillon and Moss ahead of him followed by Perine, Vaughn and Benjamin. I don’t think Akers will be any good.