Travis Fredrick retires

WMDman

Just now, MiltonWaddams said:

He was a really, really good player. That line went from super elite to just upper tier quickly.

It went from having 3 elite guys (Smith, Martin and Frederick) and one very good player (Collins) to 1 elite guy (Martin), 1 very good player (Collins) and two guys playing less than 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It went from having 3 elite guys (Smith, Martin and Frederick) and one very good player (Collins) to 1 elite guy (Martin), 1 very good player (Collins) and two guys playing less than 100%.

That 2016 Cowboys offensive line was unreal. At Center, RG, and LT they had All-Pro caliber players, they had a good and underrated LG in Ronald Leary. The only “weak leak” they had was Doug Free who was a veteran tackle that had played well for the Cowboys for a long time and was honestly decent even though he gave up 8 sacks. 

And they could have had Collins who got hurt that year and Leary took over and played really well not giving up a sack all year. They really plowed the road to take full advantage of Zeke (who was great his rookie year) and make things super easy for a rookie in Dak. I remember watching a game in 2016 where a team blitzed 6 and the Cowboys O-line and Zeke (who is an underrated blocker) gave him 10 seconds to throw against 5 on 4 coverage. Then the team only rushed 4 and they dropped 7 into coverage hoping to confuse Dak a bit and Dak had 12 seconds to throw. 

The Cowboys didn’t have many weapons that year either, they had Dez who was shot at that point, Jason Witten and Cole Beasley were their best receivers in terms of consistency, both of whom were solid but neither true number one guys at that point. But they just controlled every game with Zeke and that O-line. 

Now with Fredricks retirement and Tyron’s decline that unit is down to just Collins and Martin. I suspect they go O-line in round 1. 

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

That 2016 Cowboys offensive line was unreal. At Center, RG, and LT they had All-Pro caliber players, they had a good and underrated LG in Ronald Leary. The only “weak leak” they had was Doug Free who was a veteran tackle that had played well for the Cowboys for a long time and was honestly decent even though he gave up 8 sacks. 

And they could have had Collins who got hurt that year and Leary took over and played really well not giving up a sack all year. They really plowed the road to take full advantage of Zeke (who was great his rookie year) and make things super easy for a rookie in Dak. I remember watching a game in 2016 where a team blitzed 6 and the Cowboys O-line and Zeke (who is an underrated blocker) gave him 10 seconds to throw against 5 on 4 coverage. Then the team only rushed 4 and they dropped 7 into coverage hoping to confuse Dak a bit and Dak had 12 seconds to throw. 

The Cowboys didn’t have many weapons that year either, they had Dez who was shot at that point, Jason Witten and Cole Beasley were their best receivers in terms of consistency, both of whom were solid but neither true number one guys at that point. But they just controlled every game with Zeke and that O-line. 

Now with Fredricks retirement and Tyron’s decline that unit is down to just Collins and Martin. I suspect they go O-line in round 1. 

They could go oline if one of the top tackles remains. Otherwise I still think round 1 will be secondary. Round 2 is where I expect them to look at linemen.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

They could go oline if one of the top tackles remains. Otherwise I still think round 1 will be secondary. Round 2 is where I expect them to look at linemen.

It is dependent on what players are available as most draft picks are, but I think that O-line was a need before Fredricks retired (They were in need at LG and RT) I think they try and spend their best draft assets along that O-line if the value is there even at an OK level (basically don't reach too bad.) I wouldn't be shocked if they go RT round 1 and Center round 2. Unlike years past the Cowboys usually go for their needs with solid value or BPA. 

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It is dependent on what players are available as most draft picks are, but I think that O-line was a need before Fredricks retired (They were in need at LG and RT) I think they try and spend their best draft assets along that O-line if the value is there even at an OK level (basically don't reach too bad.) I wouldn't be shocked if they go RT round 1 and Center round 2. Unlike years past the Cowboys usually go for their needs with solid value or BPA. 

Collins is their RT. Don't see a need there and I still like Connor Williams who they took 2 years ago at guard. What I think they need is a long term answer at left tackle for Smith. There are 4 true first round grades on the oline for me. If any of those make it to #17 I expect them to be the pick. If not I think they will go in another direction but come back and take an interior guy in round 2 or 3.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Collins is their RT. Don't see a need there and I still like Connor Williams who they took 2 years ago at guard. What I think they need is a long term answer at left tackle for Smith. There are 4 true first round grades on the oline for me. If any of those make it to #17 I expect them to be the pick. If not I think they will go in another direction but come back and take an interior guy in round 2 or 3.

I think they look at tackle prospect they feel can kick into guard in round 1. They need to get younger all around the O-line. 

As someone who has had the chronic version of GBS for twenty years, what he did in coming back and playing at a Pro Bowl level is nothing short of a superhuman feat of will, mental toughness and an unbelievable level of physical conditioning.

This disease spends every minute of every day robbing you of your muscular strength and it's the ocean and you are the sand castle on the beach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1