Bills have [20 some] million in cap space? Moderator Edited

10 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

They have a 5th year option on White, they can work out an extension after 2020. But I think they should look to lock up either Dawkins or Milano now so that they don't have to worry about having 2 possibly critical free agents. I think also having one "priced into" your 2021 cap is helpful in terms of what to pay Tre and the other one. The only good thing about the 2018 draft is that 2 out of 3 possibly key free agents (Edumonds, Allen, and Henry) have 5th year options. So they are locked in for 3 more seasons. Really the issue in terms of extensions was and is Milano and Dawkins short term. 

Correct- but 5th year options lead into contract negotiations as you know. It has to be ear marked for the future. I hope we lock Tre up for 4 years which takes him to his 8-9 year mark.

20 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Correct- but 5th year options lead into contract negotiations as you know. It has to be ear marked for the future. I hope we lock Tre up for 4 years which takes him to his 8-9 year mark.

I agree, but my point is that you pick up the 5th year option and let Tre play out his 4th year (unless he really wants to extend early but that comes at a discount due to having 2 year remaining, which I am fine with) and worry about negotiating a long term deal with Tre next spring. You should be focusing your attention on extending Dawkins or Milano who aren't players likely to be good enough to be franchised but are good enough to warrant wanting to keep long term. 

I don't think you have to lock down both but getting one locked in long term is a smart play. For one you don't want to enter into next off-season negotiating for 3 critical players (White, Dawkins, and Milano) that's a lot for any organization to handle. I also think that the Bills need to keep sending a positive message to players in the locker room that if they perform they will get paid. Shaq and Phillips leaving left a bad message, but extending Poyer, Spain and either Dawkins and Milano would set that tone again. 

• 2 weeks later...

As long as we keep enough money to extend the keys player that’s cool, we have to save our cap space for the moment imo.

I can’t wait for the day when we’ll extend Tre, he’s the priority!

Edited by Smitty75

1 hour ago, eball said:

Without the contracts for Gaines, McKenzie, and Daryl Williams, who are all probably top-51 guys -- the current #51 contract is 721K.  So maybe about 20M?

Gaines and McK are probably $1M/year.  Williams is probably around $5.5M.  So I'd guess around $15M left on the cap.

Daryl Williams signed a 1 year, $2,250,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $250,000 signing bonus, $250,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,250,000. In 2020, Williams           from spotrac

very reasonable after he made $6M last season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ALF said:

Daryl Williams signed a 1 year, $2,250,000 contract with the Buffalo Bills, including a $250,000 signing bonus, $250,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,250,000. In 2020, Williams           from spotrac

very reasonable after he made $6M last season

Exactly what I was hoping Beane could get him for.  Another excellent "prove it - low risk" contract.

Here's hoping he returns to his earlier form!

Tip-of-the-hat also to Jim Overdorf.  He's doing a fantastic job with these contracts.

Wanted to chime in here with this.  The Bills have spent to the point where the specifics of their cap situation are important to look at.  Here is Spotrac’s yearly salary cap breakdown:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/yearly/cap/

The first thing that I see (on the main page for 2020) is that the Bills are going to spend up to or just above the base cap of $198M. Their remaining cap space is all from carryover and it’s likely that we will be eating into that a bit.

Now from the linked page the Bills should have $45M-$50M in space plus $15M-$20M in carryover for 2021.  That might seem like a lot, but scrolling down the list of players show a lot of holes.  Needs in 2021, in order from the site:

- backup QB

- RB besides Singletary

- FB

- 2 starting OL (Morse, Spain & Ford are under contract) plus depth

- 1 starting DE

- 2 starting CBs (including Tre’s 5th year option or new contract)

- punter 

Some of those openings will be filled through the draft, but several of them are going to cost.  The upshot is that the Bills are not in any cap trouble, but they’re pretty well done with big spending - except where they’d be extending or replacing players.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Wanted to chime in here with this.  The Bills have spent to the point where the specifics of their cap situation are important to look at.  Here is Spotrac’s yearly salary cap breakdown:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/yearly/cap/

The first thing that I see (on the main page for 2020) is that the Bills are going to spend up to or just above the base cap of $198M. Their remaining cap space is all from carryover and it’s likely that we will be eating into that a bit.

Now from the linked page the Bills should have $45M-$50M in space plus $15M-$20M in carryover for 2021.  That might seem like a lot, but scrolling down the list of players show a lot of holes.  Needs in 2021, in order from the site:

- backup QB

- RB besides Singletary

- FB

- 2 starting OL (Morse, Spain & Ford are under contract) plus depth

- 1 starting DE

- 2 starting CBs (including Tre’s 5th year option or new contract)

- punter 

Some of those openings will be filled through the draft, but several of them are going to cost.  The upshot is that the Bills are not in any cap trouble, but they’re pretty well done with big spending - except where they’d be extending or replacing players.

All good points and I would like to add that a lot of people should understand the bolded.

He has balanced the multi year cap really fast and well.

As it stands the Bills are #8 this year in contract money (your bolded point) and currently projected #9 next year.

Beane has everything set up to continue doing this for the foreseeable future.

Personally I really enjoy watching how he is building this team and I see why many in the business think he is outstanding at his job.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, eball said:

20M at this point is still some nice cash to play with...gives Beane tons of flexibility.

Yup.  Although here's not much room to play with contracts, save for Trent Murphy, who would save about $4.7M if cut.  And I don't see many rookies making the team and pushing a higher-priced guy off.

Bills restructure FB Patrick DiMarco's contract

Per the report, there’s a $450,000 pay cut for DiMarco and his cap hit goes from $2.35 million to $1.9 million. His base salary also drops from $1.8 million to $1.1 million next season. He’s entering the final year of his four-year contract.

DiMarco now has per-game roster bonuses in his deal, which could total up to $250,000. What those could exactly end up being is in question, but will be interesting to see since DiMarco was sparsely part of Buffalo’s game plan on offense in recent seasons.

While playing in a minimal role, DiMarco has played in every game possible with the Bills since signing with the team. He also serves in a leadership role for the team and does play a special teams role as well.

“What he does for us Monday through Saturday, leadership wise, in the huddle leadership wise, in addition to the things you see on tape,” Buffalo head coach Sean McDermott previously mentioned on DiMarco.

Also included on DiMarco’s deal is his pro-rated signing bonus and a $50,000 workout bonus plus his salary.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/23/buffalo-bills-restructure-patrick-dimarco-contract/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/patrick-dimarco-11222/

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/8/2020 at 3:54 AM, ALF said:

Est. Cap Space (Top 51):
$20,790,966

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Looks like all contracts counted now  

Just the 2nd rd pick slotted at   $982,234  to count yet top 51  

The new CBA Rookie wage scales are in at Spotrac for anyone interested.

Bills total draft cap hit will be under 450k.

Beane will still have over 20 million in cap space if he wants to make a medium size signing/trade.

Could be some players available to deal with during or just after the draft.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Edited by ColoradoBills